- Azerbaijan court orders release of investigative journalist Updated: May-25-16 10:09 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A court in Azerbaijan on Wednesday ordered a prominent, award-winning investigative journalist to be released on probation following a storm of international protests about her case, which has been widely seen as an attempt to silence a critical voice.
- Friends, Romans: Help restore Rome's ruins, monuments Updated: May-24-16 4:49 pm
ROME - Friends, Romans, countrymen! Oh yes, and countrywomen. And people in far-flung nations. Everyone, basically. Rome is seeking all the sponsors it can find to fund the monumental job of restoring and maintaining its hundreds of fountains, statues, archaeological sites and historic palazzos.
- Azerbaijan plane crashes in Afghanistan, 7 dead Updated: May-19-16 3:28 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - A U.S. military spokesman in Afghanistan says seven people were killed when a plane belonging to Silk Way Airlines of Azerbaijan crashed in the country's south.
- Correction: Armenia-Azerbaijan story Updated: May-18-16 3:01 pm
VIENNA - In a story May 17 about the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the Nagorno-Karabakh region, The Associated Press incorrectly reported the size of Nagorno-Karabakh. The region is 4,400 square kilometers (1,700 square miles), not 12,000 square kilometers (4,400 square miles).
- Work starts on new pipeline bringing Azeri gas to Italy Updated: May-17-16 10:39 am
THESSALONIKI, Greece - Construction work is starting on a new pipeline project bringing Azeri gas through northern Greece and Albania to Italy, reducing Europe's energy dependency on Russia.
- Azerbaijan alleges white-phosphorus use in Karabakh fight Updated: May-11-16 12:56 pm
ASKIPARA, Azerbaijan - Azerbaijan says Armenian forces have used white phosphorus weapons in the fighting over the Nagorno-Karabakh region and is calling for an international investigation.
- Eurovision Song Contest struggles to enforce politics ban Updated: May-11-16 10:12 am
STOCKHOLM - You can croon about unrequited love, dance with unbridled passion or dress up in drag. Just keep politics out of it.
- Frederick woman wins US chess championship Updated: May-07-16 9:01 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - Nazi Paikidze planned every day of her trip to Missouri for the U.S. Women's Chess Championship.
- WNBA, union amend CBA for overseas play fines Updated: May-04-16 4:44 pm
NEW YORK - The WNBA and its players union have agreed to amend the collective bargaining agreement on fines for overseas play.