- 2 Koreas agree to hold high-level talks next month Updated: Nov-26-15 11:43 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North and South Korea have agreed to hold high-level talks next month to discuss ways to improve ties, Seoul officials said Friday, a sign that the rivals are following through with promised reconciliation efforts after a military standoff in August.
- South Korea: VW rigged emissions in 125,000 diesel vehicles Updated: Nov-26-15 7:34 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea said Thursday it fined Volkswagen $12.3 million and ordered recalls of 125,522 diesel vehicles after the government found their emissions tests were rigged.
- South Koreans mourn ex-President Kim in state funeral Updated: Nov-26-15 5:32 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Thousands of mourners gathered Thursday at the lawn outside South Korea's parliament to bid farewell to former President Kim Young-sam, whose landmark 1992 election victory ended decades of military rule and ushered in a series of reforms.
- South Korea man gets 12 years for feeding ex-pupil feces Updated: Nov-25-15 11:03 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - A former South Korean university professor was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Thursday for habitually beating his former pupil and forcing him to eat human feces and drink urine.
- Revised nuclear deal between South Korea, US takes effect Updated: Nov-25-15 5:39 am
SEOUL, South Korea - A new nuclear treaty with the United States governing South Korea's commercial nuclear activities during the next 20 years went into effect Wednesday, the South Korean government said.
- UN chief will try to visit North Korea as soon as possible Updated: Nov-24-15 2:54 pm
UNITED NATIONS - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says he will try to visit North Korea "at the earliest possible date" in an effort to promote peace on the Korean peninsula.
- Seoul: North Korean leader Kim demotes top official Updated: Nov-24-15 4:37 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is believed to have demoted one of his top officials and sent him to a rural collective farm for reeducation, South Korea's spy agency told lawmakers Tuesday.
- US military helicopter crashes in South Korea, killing 2 Updated: Nov-23-15 10:26 am
SEOUL, South Korea - A U.S. military helicopter crashed in South Korea during a routine training mission Monday, killing both pilots on board, the U.S. Army and South Korean police said.
- Former South Korean President Kim Young-sam dies at age 87 Updated: Nov-21-15 2:27 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Former President Kim Young-sam, who formally ended decades of military rule in South Korea and accepted a massive international bailout during the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis, died Sunday. He was 87.
- Park leads South Korea to 8-0 win over US in Premier12 final Updated: Nov-21-15 9:48 am
TOKYO - Byung Ho Park bolstered his MLB credentials with a three-run homer in the fifth inning as South Korea routed the United States 8-0 Saturday to win the inaugural Premier12 baseball tournament.
- Athletes want probe to go beyond Russian track team Updated: Nov-19-15 7:59 am
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Cleaning up the corrupt anti-doping system in Russia matters because of these stories:
- 200 Syrians fleeing war have arrived in South Korea Updated: Nov-18-15 1:44 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Seoul's spy service told lawmakers on Wednesday about 200 Syrians fleeing war have arrived by airplane in South Korea, but the government has yet to decide whether to grant refugee status to any of them.
- Alpine test for 2018 Pyeongchang Games passes key deadline Updated: Nov-16-15 5:47 am
OBERHOFEN, Switzerland - The Alpine skiing test event in February for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, seems to be on track.
- Report: UN chief to visit North Korea this week Updated: Nov-16-15 5:31 am
SEOUL, South Korea - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will visit Pyongyang this week for a possible meeting with leader Kim Jong Un, a South Korean news report said.
- Scores held as biggest rally in years in Seoul turns violent Updated: Nov-14-15 10:51 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Police detained more than 50 protesters and were seeking out others Sunday after violent clashes marred the largest anti-government demonstrations in South Korea's capital in more than seven years.
- SKorea leader open to NKorea talks if nuclear progress made Updated: Nov-13-15 8:55 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's president said Friday that she is open to talking directly with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un if the North makes progress in abandoning its nuclear bomb ambitions.
- South Koreans sue government over salt farm slavery Updated: Nov-13-15 8:54 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Eight men who had been held as slaves at South Korean salt farms for several years took the government to court on Friday for alleged negligence and police inaction they say largely caused and prolonged their ordeal.
- Asia's big 3 all win comfortably in World Cup qualifiers Updated: Nov-12-15 11:40 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Japan, Australia, and South Korea enjoyed comfortable wins in Asia qualifying for the 2018 World Cup on Thursday.
- South Korean court upholds life sentence for ferry captain Updated: Nov-12-15 4:53 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's top court on Thursday upheld a life sentence for the captain of a ferry that sank last year, killing more than 300 people, most of them teenagers on a school trip.
- Johnson, Jones, Armstrong: Sport's doping hall of shame Updated: Nov-10-15 1:37 pm
LONDON - From Ben Johnson to Marion Jones to Lance Armstrong, the sports world has its own doping hall of shame.
- Asian powers look to lift this week in World Cup qualifying Updated: Nov-09-15 8:19 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - World Cup regulars Iran, Australia and Japan need to bounce back from some mediocre performances if they are to keep pace with Asian rival South Korea when qualifying for Brazil 2018 resumes Thursday.
- Yeo appointed sec-gen of Pyeongchang organizing committee Updated: Nov-09-15 12:06 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Yeo Hyeong-gu was appointed secretary-general of the organizing committee for the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics and went straight to work Monday at a staff meeting in Seoul.
- Otani solid as Japan beats SKorea in Premier12 baseball Updated: Nov-08-15 9:25 am
SAPPORO, Japan - Shohei Otani struck out 10 batters over six scoreless innings as Japan beat South Korea 5-0 in the opening game of the Premier12 baseball tournament on Sunday.
- Korea set to replace goal difference with goals scored Updated: Nov-08-15 12:44 am
SEOUL, South Korea - In a bid to increase entertainment, South Korea's K-League is set to replace goal difference with goals scored as the first means of separating teams equal on points.
- Japan Sports Agency sets goals for Rio, Tokyo Olympics Updated: Nov-05-15 11:36 pm
TOKYO - The newly formed Japan Sports Agency has set ambitious goals for the nation's athletes at both the Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo Olympics.