- The Latest: Prosecutor: Charges show UN hit by corruption Updated: Oct-06-15 12:01 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on allegations that former United Nations General Assembly President Josh Ashe accepted bribes to help a Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople gain investments and government contracts (all times local):
- IMF downgrades forecast for world, emerging market economies Updated: Oct-06-15 11:46 am
LIMA, Peru - China's slowdown and tumbling commodity prices will push global economic growth this year to the lowest level since the recession year 2009, the International Monetary Fund predicted Tuesday.
- Ex-UN General Assembly head among 6 held in bribery scheme Updated: Oct-06-15 11:36 am
NEW YORK - A former president of the United Nations General Assembly was arrested Tuesday and charged with accepting over $1 million in bribes and a trip to New Orleans for his family from a billionaire Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople to pave the way for lucrative investments.
- US trade deficit widens to $48.3 billion in August Updated: Oct-06-15 10:22 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit jumped sharply in August as exports fell to the lowest level in nearly three years while imports increased, led by a surge in shipments of cellphones from China.
- Yacht missing with 2 Britons, American, Canadian, Filipino Updated: Oct-06-15 10:19 am
MANILA, Philippines - A yacht carrying two Britons, an American, a Canadian and a Filipino disappeared while sailing in waters that were lashed by a storm last week, the Philippine coast guard said Tuesday.
- Djokovic improves to 25-0 at China Open with 1st-round win Updated: Oct-06-15 6:12 am
BEIJING - Novak Djokovic improved his perfect record at the China Open to 25-0 by beating Simone Bolelli of Italy 6-1, 6-1 Tuesday in the first round.
- China wins long-sought Nobel Prize in one of the sciences Updated: Oct-06-15 5:05 am
BEIJING - For decades, China has yearned for a Nobel Prize in science. Now, a little-known researcher who helped develop a malaria medicine in a secret military project to assist Vietnam in its war against the U.S. has finally won Beijing that honor.
- Gov. Hickenlooper heading to Asia, Middle East Updated: Oct-06-15 5:02 am
DENVER - Gov. John Hickenlooper is heading on a two-week trip to Asia and the Middle East to boost economic opportunities for Colorado.
- US group: Put Alibaba site back on "notorious" fakes list Updated: Oct-06-15 4:45 am
HONG KONG - A clothing and shoe industry group is calling for the U.S. government to put Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba's Taobao site back on its list of "Notorious Markets" for counterfeit goods.
- BMS paying $14.6M to settle SEC charges on payments in China Updated: Oct-05-15 3:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Bristol-Myers Squibb will pay $14.6 million to settle charges from U.S. regulators that its joint venture in China gave cash and other benefits to government health care providers to boost drug sales.
- 3 share Nobel medicine prize for tropical disease drugs Updated: Oct-05-15 1:47 pm
STOCKHOLM - The Nobel prize in medicine went Monday to three scientists hailed as "heroes in the truest sense of the word" for saving millions of lives with the creation of the world's leading malaria-fighting drug and another that has nearly wiped out two devastating tropical diseases.
- White-gloved butlers a new must-have for China's super-rich Updated: Oct-05-15 8:12 am
BEIJING - Soup spoon, salad fork ... Zhang Zhejing struggled to remember how to lay out the cutlery on either side of the plate. She also forgot to put the water glass next to the wine glass - a crucial mistake that would not go unnoticed by her two examiners.
- Estranged South Korean director Kim Ki-duk looks to China Updated: Oct-05-15 8:08 am
BUSAN, South Korea - For the past two decades, South Korean maverick filmmaker Kim Ki-duk's low-budget movies have given him international acclaim, highly coveted awards and many controversies.
- China beats Philippines 78-67 to win FIBA Asia title Updated: Oct-03-15 12:57 pm
CHANGSHA, China - Yi Jianlian combined with youngsters Guo Ailun and Zhou Qi to lead China to a 78-67 win over the Philippines in the FIBA Asia basketball final on Saturday, helping the host nation secure an Olympic slot and finish the continental tournament unbeaten.
- Venus Williams wins Wuhan Open, Muguruza retires in 2nd set Updated: Oct-03-15 12:08 pm
WUHAN, China - Venus Williams won the Wuhan Open on Saturday when her Spanish opponent and fifth-seeded Garbine Muguruza retired with a left ankle injury while trailing 6-3, 3-0.
- Connecticut lieutenant governor, lawmakers travel to Taiwan Updated: Oct-03-15 12:07 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman is leading a weeklong business and trade mission to Taiwan.
- Massachusetts leaders hopeful but cautious on economy Updated: Oct-03-15 10:57 am
BOSTON - There are plenty of reasons for House Speaker Robert DeLeo and other Massachusetts leaders to feel upbeat about the state's current fiscal and economic health.
- Rain washes out Shenzhen Open semifinals Updated: Oct-03-15 9:02 am
SHENZHEN, China - Persistent rain has washed out the semifinals of the Shenzhen Open on Saturday.
- Tang Wei looks for chemistry with people on film set Updated: Oct-03-15 7:20 am
BUSAN, South Korea - Chinese actress Tang Wei is not obsessed about finding the right role for her future film project.
- Dalai Lama assures followers of health upon return to India Updated: Oct-03-15 6:12 am
DHARAMSALA, India - The Dalai Lama has assured his followers that he is in excellent health upon his return Saturday to the Tibetan government-in-exile's headquarters in northern India.
- Jin leads by 1 into final round of Asia-Pacific Amateur Updated: Oct-03-15 3:43 am
HONG KONG - Jin Cheng of China pitched to a half-foot on the par-5 18th and made birdie for a 1-under 69 to take a one-stroke lead over two Australians after three rounds of the typhoon-threatened Asia-Pacific Amateur on Saturday.
- Tropical storm bears down on south China's Hainan island Updated: Oct-03-15 2:45 am
BEIJING - A strong tropical storm was bearing down Saturday on China's southern resort island of Hainan at the height of the country's weeklong National Day holiday.
- China orders tighter mail security following mail bombings Updated: Oct-03-15 2:19 am
BEIJING - China's postal service is ordering tighter checks on packages following a series of mail bombings that killed 10 people and injured 51.
- An ailing global economy starts to weigh on US job market Updated: Oct-02-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - A sagging global economy has finally caught up with the United States.
- Homeland Security seizes Stockton mayor's electronics at SFO Updated: Oct-02-15 3:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A mayor of a Northern California city said Homeland Security agents briefly detained him and seized his laptop and cellphone earlier this week at San Francisco International Airport.