- The Latest: Pope sends Mexico condolences over prison riot Updated: Feb-12-16 5:32 pm
HAVANA - The latest on Pope Francis's historic meeting in Cuba with Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill and his subsequent trip to Mexico (all times local):
- House sends NKorea sanctions bill to president for signature Updated: Feb-12-16 2:55 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress sent President Barack Obama legislation Friday that hits North Korea with more stringent sanctions for refusing to stop its nuclear weapons program.
- Prosecutor in Albuquerque police shooting case seeks delay Updated: Feb-12-16 10:57 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A New Mexico judge has fined a special prosecutor in a case involving two former Albuquerque officers charged with second-degree murder because she wants to delay the trial to attend a wedding.
- UK: Hong Kong bookseller 'removed' in breach of China treaty Updated: Feb-12-16 10:54 am
HONG KONG - Britain says a missing Hong Kong bookseller was likely abducted to mainland China, calling it a "serious breach" of the treaty under which Beijing took control of the city.
- Williams beats Sevastova to reach semifinals of Taiwan Open Updated: Feb-12-16 9:32 am
KAOHSIUNG, Taiwan - Top-seeded Venus Williams beat Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia 7-5, 6-2 to advance to the semifinals of the Taiwan Open on Friday.
- Seoul, US to open talks on missile defense aimed at N. Korea Updated: Feb-12-16 6:54 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Looking to take a harder line after North Korea's recent nuclear test and rocket launch, Seoul and Washington will begin talks as early as next week on deploying a sophisticated U.S. missile defense system in South Korea, officials said Friday.
- Buffalo public school designated Confucius Classroom School Updated: Feb-12-16 3:05 am
BUFFALO, New York - A Buffalo public school has been designated a Confucius Classroom School, meaning it will get funding, books and other support from China for its Chinese language programming.
- Australian minister resigns for breaching code of conduct Updated: Feb-12-16 12:11 am
CANBERRA, Australia - An embattled Australian government minister resigned on Friday for breaching ministerial standards through a business trip to China, clearing the way for the prime minister to announce a final Cabinet reshuffle ahead of elections due this year.
- Taiwanese leaders and victims' families hold quake memorial Updated: Feb-11-16 11:11 pm
TAINAN, Taiwan - Taiwanese leaders and relatives held a memorial service on Friday for victims of last weekend's earthquake as the official death toll rose to 94.
- What a recession does to your money Updated: Feb-11-16 4:29 pm
NEW YORK - If we are indeed in the midst of a recession - and we won't know we're in one until well after it's begun - stocks likely still have a long way to go down.
- US urges China-Taiwan talks amid uncertainty after election Updated: Feb-11-16 3:40 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration said Thursday it is urging China and Taiwan to maintain dialogue amid concern that the election of an independence-leaning party on the island could heighten tensions in one of Asia's security hotspots.
- Nokia says quarterly profit rose but cautions on outlook Updated: Feb-11-16 1:53 pm
HELSINKI - Nokia Corp. saw fourth-quarter profit grow more than 50 percent to 498 million euros ($560 million) on a slight increase in sales, but the telecom networks company cautioned it would face some "market headwinds," especially in China.
- Hong Kong activists face riot charges after holiday protest Updated: Feb-11-16 11:14 am
HONG KONG - Several dozen people appeared in a Hong Kong court Thursday to face rioting charges following a violent clash earlier this week between protesters and police sparked by a clampdown on holiday street food vendors.
- Burden of Kaesong closure to mostly fall on S. Korean firms Updated: Feb-11-16 8:18 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's sudden withdrawal from a factory park in North Korea is a severe blow for the South Korean businesses that populated it, but is unlikely to make much difference to the North's decrepit economy despite being a stern diplomatic measure.
- Hong Kong to send Chinese man back to US over teen deaths Updated: Feb-11-16 7:34 am
HONG KONG - A Chinese man agreed in a Hong Kong court Thursday to be sent back to the U.S., where he is wanted by authorities in connection with the slayings of his teenage nephews.
- Taiwan earthquake death toll rises to 59; 76 still missing Updated: Feb-11-16 6:42 am
TAINAN, Taiwan - The death toll from a weekend earthquake in Taiwan rose to 59 on Thursday, with 76 people still missing and presumed trapped under the rubble of a collapsed residential building, the Ministry of Interior said.
- The Latest: Bush says he won't blame Obama for problems Updated: Feb-10-16 8:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Here's the latest on the 2016 presidential race as Republican and Democratic candidates head from New Hampshire to South Carolina and beyond. All times local:
- Kenyan athletes allege doping bribery Updated: Feb-10-16 5:44 pm
EMBU, Kenya - Two Kenyan athletes serving four-year bans for doping at the 2015 world championships say the chief executive of Athletics Kenya, the country's governing body for track and field, asked them each for a $24,000 bribe to reduce their suspensions.
- Report: Harmful gas levels in Lumber Liquidators flooring Updated: Feb-10-16 5:42 pm
NEW YORK - A national retailer sold Chinese-made flooring that emits hazardous levels of formaldehyde, a federal investigation found.
- Shanghai Disneyland; Leap Year; TSA rules on bug spray Updated: Feb-10-16 3:09 pm
SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND TICKETS
- Chinese investors bid $1.2B for Norwegian tech firm Opera Updated: Feb-10-16 9:38 am
HELSINKI - Opera Software, a Norwegian company behind one of the world's most popular browsers, says Chinese investors have made a $1.2 billion takeover offer, causing its stock to jump more than 30 percent.
- China reports first case of imported Zika virus Updated: Feb-10-16 6:51 am
BEIJING - China's first case of the Zika virus has been found in a 34-year-old man who recently traveled to Venezuela and is now making a speedy recovery, the government said Wednesday.
- Hong Kong student held at airport after violent clashes Updated: Feb-10-16 3:11 am
HONG KONG - A Hong Kong student activist was detained at the city's airport on Wednesday morning, apparently on suspicion of involvement in a violent Lunar New Year clash between police and protesters, his group said.
- Aussie lawmakers gifted designer watches, think they're fake Updated: Feb-10-16 2:46 am
SYDNEY - Australia's former prime minister and two other politicians were gifted designer watches by a Chinese businessman - but initially kept them only because they thought the 40,000 Australian dollar ($28,000) timepieces were fake, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
- Former Adelson casino exec takes dismissal case to US court Updated: Feb-09-16 3:41 pm
LAS VEGAS - A former executive in billionaire casino magnate Sheldon Adelson's empire is asking a federal court in Nevada to rule on a continuing legal fight over his 2010 dismissal as head of operations in the Chinese gambling enclave of Macau.