- Beijing selected to host 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 7:48 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Beijing was selected Friday to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, defeating the bid from Almaty in a surprisingly close vote to become the first city awarded both the winter and summer games.
- Beijing celebrates winning the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 7:29 am
BEIJING - Beijing residents have expressed happiness and pride at their city's winning bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, although celebrations are more muted than 14 years ago when the city exploded in glee after getting the 2008 Summer Games.
- Searchers scour beaches in hopes of unlocking MH370 mystery Updated: Jul-31-15 7:20 am
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion - Searchers scored Reunion's shoreline for debris and investigators prepared to load a sea-encrusted wing fragment onto a plane bound for France on Friday to learn whether the aircraft remnant could help unlock the mystery of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
- Italian anti-death penalty group honors Pope Francis Updated: Jul-31-15 6:35 am
ROME - An Italian anti-death penalty group has honored Pope Francis with the prize "Abolitionist of the Year" for his strong position against the death penalty and other forms of "inhumane and degrading" punishments.
- Student protesters sit-in at Taiwan Education Ministry Updated: Jul-31-15 4:35 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Dozens of students launched a sit-in Friday at Taiwan's Education Ministry demanding that officials take responsibility for a student leader who killed himself in an apparent protest over curriculum changes that critics say overemphasize China's ties to the island.
- China down again, other Asian stocks mostly up after US data Updated: Jul-31-15 12:04 am
SEOUL, South Korea - China's stock market extended its loss for a second day while other Asian stocks were mostly up Thursday after data showed the U.S. economy posted solid growth during the second quarter.
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations Updated: Jul-31-15 12:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov will head the Almaty delegation and Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong will lead the Beijing team in the final presentations to the IOC ahead of the vote for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- Almaty has hard-hitting final pitch for 2022 hosting rights Updated: Jul-30-15 11:34 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Almaty has pleaded with International Olympic Committee members to not consider them a "risky" choice to host the 2022 Winter Games simply because the central Asian country of Kazakhstan is not familiar to many of them.
- Former top Chinese general suspected of corruption Updated: Jul-30-15 10:50 pm
BEIJING - China has expelled a former top general from the ruling Communist Party over corruption accusations as President Xi Jinping's campaign to root out graft in the government and military churns onward.
- Britain limits Ai Weiwei's visit due to alleged conviction Updated: Jul-30-15 2:51 pm
BEIJING - Britain has denied Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei a six-month business visa to attend a London exhibition of his work, saying he failed to disclose that he has a criminal conviction - a claim that the artist and his attorney dispute.
- Real Madrid beats AC Milan 10-9 on penalties in China Updated: Jul-30-15 11:09 am
- For North Korea, Iran-style nuclear deal not an option Updated: Jul-30-15 7:01 am
PYONGYANG, North Korea - If any hopes have been raised that the progress between the United States and Iran to halt Tehran's development of nuclear weapons could bring change in Pyongyang, North Korea has gone out of its way to thwart them.
- Myanmar pardons China loggers among nearly 7,000 prisoners Updated: Jul-30-15 6:56 am
YANGON, Myanmar - More than 150 Chinese workers sentenced to life in prison for illegal logging were freed in Myanmar on Thursday under a massive presidential pardon that included nearly 7,000 prisoners.
- Nephew of blind activist Chen released from China prison Updated: Jul-30-15 6:23 am
BEIJING - The nephew of lawyer and blind activist Chen Guangcheng has been released from prison after serving a three-year, three-month sentence widely seen as retribution for his uncle's daring escape from house arrest.
- Relatives torn over possible 1st debris from missing MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 5:25 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Jacquita Gomes is torn about whether to believe that plane debris found more than 16 months after the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is the first concrete evidence that her husband is truly gone.
- Wynn Resorts profit drops 72 percent in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-29-15 7:28 pm
LAS VEGAS - Wynn Resorts Ltd.'s profit fell 72 percent in the second quarter, stymied by an on-going decline in the Asian gambling enclave of Macau and fewer high-roller Chinese baccarat players in Las Vegas.
- Japan: Militarized islands would expand China influence Updated: Jul-29-15 6:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Japan's top naval officer says the entire South China Sea could fall under China's military sphere of influence if it uses the artificial islands it has built there for military purposes.
- Move could be in store for Amarillo's Big Texan Steak Ranch Updated: Jul-29-15 6:14 pm
AMARILLO, Texas - The Lee brothers of The Big Texan Steak Ranch are weighing a decision much heavier than the 72-ounce steak for which their family tourism empire has become known.
- UN: Expect 11.2 billion population by the end of the century Updated: Jul-29-15 3:42 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Move over: The world's population is expected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050, a new United Nations report says. And there should be 11.2 billion people on Earth by the end of this century.
- Charges dropped against Chinese woman in trade secrets case Updated: Jul-29-15 2:40 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A judge has dismissed charges against the wife of a Chinese billionaire who was accused of conspiring to steal trade secrets from U.S. seed companies.
- Britain wins new team diving event at world championships Updated: Jul-29-15 2:23 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Tom Daley and Rebecca Gallantree of Britain won the new team diving event at the world championships.
- IMF's Lagarde: World economy fragile, faces downside risks Updated: Jul-29-15 11:13 am
WASHINGTON - International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde says the world economy is recovering but fragile and "faces some downside risks."
- Volkswagen Q2 earns slip on restructuring, troubled markets Updated: Jul-29-15 10:46 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Automaker Volkswagen saw profits slip in the second quarter despite taking the global lead in sales over Toyota and GM.
- Image of Asia: Welcoming Turkey's president to Beijing Updated: Jul-29-15 9:10 am
In this photo by Ng Han Guan, a child plays with Chinese and Turkish national flags before a welcome ceremony for Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. About two dozen children waved the flags and hoisted flowers when Erdogan and Chinese President Xi Jinping passed them after inspecting an honor guard. Following the formal welcoming ceremony that included a 21-gun salute and marching band, the two leaders met for more than two hours. Erdogan's visit comes amid tensions over China's treatment of its Uighur minority and sensitive negotiations surrounding the possible purchase of a Chinese missile system.
- Turkish President Erdogan in Beijing amid ethnic tensions Updated: Jul-29-15 9:01 am
BEIJING - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan met with top Chinese officials Wednesday amid tensions over China's treatment of its Uighur minority and sensitive negotiations surrounding the possible purchase of a Chinese missile system.