- Uganda: 7 convicted of al-Shabab's deadly World Cup bombings Updated: May-26-16 11:44 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - A Ugandan judge on Thursday convicted seven men of carrying out twin bombings which killed 76 people who were watching the 2010 World Cup final in the capital, Kampala.
- Uber to expand its Africa operations Updated: May-26-16 8:06 am
JOHANNESBURG - Uber is expanding in Africa.
- Judge: US man charged in Uganda counterfeit plot could flee Updated: May-25-16 1:26 pm
PITTSBURGH - An American deported from Uganda and charged in a massive counterfeiting scheme is a major flight risk and will remain jailed until he stands trial, a federal judge in Pennsylvania ruled.
- The Latest: Bail denied for man charged in counterfeiting Updated: May-25-16 1:18 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Latest on bail being denied for a man deported from Uganda and charged in counterfeiting scheme in that nation (all times local):
- Uganda: Opposition leader remanded to maximum security jail Updated: May-18-16 8:34 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's opposition leader was remanded Wednesday to a maximum security prison in the capital after being charged with treason for organizing protests against the re-election of long-time President Yoweri Museveni.
- Uganda: President promotes his son to 2-star army general Updated: May-17-16 7:07 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's long-time president promoted his son to a two-star general, bolstering speculation that the son is being groomed to succeed his father.
- Uganda: Safety concerns for jailed opposition leader Updated: May-16-16 8:44 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - A lawyer for a detained opposition leader in Uganda says he is concerned for the safety of his client, who was charged with treason last week because of his anti-government protests.
- Ugandan opposition leader charged with treason over protests Updated: May-14-16 8:26 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's main opposition leader has been charged with treason and jailed in a remote area in the country's northeast, a judiciary spokesman said Saturday.
- Ugandan president inaugurated amid opposition arrests Updated: May-12-16 3:44 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's long-time president was sworn in Thursday for a fifth term, taking him into his fourth decade in power amid arrests of opposition politicians and a shutdown of social media.
- US diplomats walk out of Uganda president's inauguration Updated: May-12-16 3:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The State Department says the U.S. delegation attending Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's inauguration walked out of the ceremony in protest. At issue were his disparaging comments about an international war crimes tribunal and the presence of Sudan's leader whom the court has indicted.
- Ugandan opposition leaders detained ahead of inauguration Updated: May-11-16 12:38 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's main opposition figure was arrested Wednesday ahead of the inauguration of long-time President Yoweri Museveni, raising the possibility of violence as police try to quell possible opposition protests.
- Kenya: Wife accused of helping anthrax plot appears in court Updated: May-10-16 12:18 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The wife accused of assisting her medic husband to plot a biological attack in Kenya and assisting in recruiting for the Islamic State group has been extradited from Uganda and appeared in a Nairobi court Tuesday.
- China envoy to visit Djibouti, site of 1st overseas base Updated: May-07-16 3:59 am
BEIJING - Chinese President Xi Jinping is sending a special envoy to visit the Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti, where China is establishing a naval logistics center that is widely seen as the first overseas base for its increasingly powerful military.
- Uganda: Hope for oil production by 2018 after pipeline deal Updated: Apr-26-16 11:07 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's hopes to produce crude oil by 2018 have been boosted by an agreement to build a pipeline to Tanzania's Tanga port, a government official said Tuesday.