- Man accused of plotting to join Islamic State testifies Updated: May-26-16 8:47 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - A Minnesota man on trial for plotting to go to Syria to join the Islamic State group testified Thursday that he thought about leaving the United States because he could feel the government closing in, but said he had no real plan and believed a scheme to get fake passports for the journey was a bad idea.
- Kenya military: 21 al-Shabab extremists killed in ambush Updated: May-25-16 10:27 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan troops in Somalia killed 21 suspected al-Shabab extremists who were plotting an ambush in southern Somalia, said a Kenyan official.
- UN Security Council visits Kenya to discuss Somalia Updated: May-20-16 1:19 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Members of the United Nations Security Council are urging Kenya's government not to forcibly evict refugees from a sprawling camp that is home to hundreds of thousands of Somalis.
- UN Security Council visits Somalia to support upcoming polls Updated: May-19-16 12:09 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Members of the U.N. Security Council are visiting Somalia to support the country's upcoming elections as well as its efforts to defeat an insurgency by Islamic extremists.
- Somaliland wants world recognition of its independence Updated: May-18-16 1:01 pm
HARGEISA, Somalia - The semi-autonomous region of Somaliland is renewing calls for international recognition of its self-declared independence from Somalia.
- Danish newspaper to pay damages to 2 kidnapped seamen Updated: May-13-16 9:37 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - A Danish court has ordered the tabloid Ekstra Bladet to pay 300,000 kroner ($46,000) each in damages to two seamen who were taken hostage in Somalia.
- Kenya to close Dadaab, world's biggest refugee camp Updated: May-11-16 9:13 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The Kenyan government will close Dadaab refugee camp, which has hundreds of thousands of Somali refugees and is often referred to as the world's largest camp, the East African country's interior security minister said Wednesday.
- Somalia: 4 killed as extremists attack police headquarters Updated: May-09-16 5:24 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A suicide car bomber struck the entrance of Somalia's traffic police headquarters in the capital on Monday , killing four people and injuring nine others, said a police official.
- Kenya closing camps with hundreds of thousands of refugees Updated: May-06-16 6:26 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - The Kenyan government said Friday it will close two refugee camps, including one of the world's biggest, due to a lack of security and economic challenges as human Rights group condemned the plan.
- Press Freedom Day: Journalists keep working despite threats Updated: May-03-16 12:09 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - For Abdiqadir Dulyar, simply reading messages sent to his phone can be chilling.
- Somalia: 11 soldiers killed as extremists retake town Updated: May-01-16 11:32 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - A Somali military official says fighters from Islamic extremist rebels recaptured a town in southern Somalia, killing at least 11 Somali government soldiers.