- Pope presses case for adequate, dignified housing in Nairobi Updated: Nov-26-15 10:48 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Pope Francis is visiting a slum on Nairobi's northwestern edge to press his call for adequate and dignified housing for society's most marginal, especially in burgeoning megacities like the Kenyan capital.
- Kenya official: Extremist suspect grabs gun, attempts escape Updated: Nov-17-15 11:39 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A suspected Islamic extremist grabbed a rifle from an officer and attempted to shoot his way to freedom from a military camp where he was being held in Garissa in eastern Kenya, an official said Tuesday.
- Report: Kenyan troops smuggling sugar from Somalia Updated: Nov-12-15 11:29 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan troops in Somalia are heavily involved in the smuggling of about 150,000 tons of sugar a year into Kenya, a local watchdog group said Thursday.
- Helmut Schmidt dies at 96, ex-chancellor and elder statesman Updated: Nov-11-15 12:36 am
BERLIN - Helmut Schmidt was blunt and down to earth, decisive and brimming with self-confidence.
- Former West German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt dies at age 96 Updated: Nov-10-15 7:39 pm
BERLIN - Helmut Schmidt, the chancellor who guided West Germany through economic turbulence and Cold War tensions, stood firm against a wave of homegrown terrorism and became a respected elder statesman, died Tuesday. He was 96.
- Al-Shabab video shows killings of African Union troops Updated: Nov-10-15 10:41 am
- Somali extremists kill 15 government soldiers in ambush Updated: Nov-02-15 3:14 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - At least 15 government soldiers were killed in an ambush by fighters from the Somali Islamic extremist rebel group al-Shabab, one day after the same group of extremists killed a dozen people in an attack in the capital, a military official said Monday.
- Somalia: 5 Islamic militants attack hotel in capital, kill 6 Updated: Nov-01-15 6:59 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Five of Somalia's Islamic extremists attacked a leading hotel in the capital at dawn Sunday, killing at least six people and injuring 10, before all the assailants were killed by security forces.
- Despite war, Yemen still draws opportunity-seeking migrants Updated: Oct-27-15 10:52 am
GENEVA - Despite six months of escalating war in Yemen, the U.N. refugee agency says more than 35,000 people fleeing their homelands - mainly from Ethiopia and Somalia - have entered the country since late March in hopes of finding a better life.