- Sweden: Refugee from Rwanda convicted in 1994 genocide Updated: May-16-16 10:43 am
STOCKHOLM - A Swedish citizen originally from Rwanda was sentenced to life in prison Monday for his role in the 1994 genocide in the African country.
- UN report: Congolese officers got pistols from North Koreans Updated: May-14-16 1:31 am
UNITED NATIONS - U.N. experts say Congolese army officers and police reported receiving pistols from a group of 30 North Korean instructors training their presidential guard and special police forces, which would appear to be a violation of U.N. sanctions banning Pyongyang from exporting weapons or providing military training.
- Lion cubs are born in Rwanda in boost to predator's fortunes Updated: May-13-16 6:26 am
JOHANNESBURG - Three lion cubs were born in a wildlife park in Rwanda, boosting efforts to restore the country's lion population, which was wiped out following the country's 1994 genocide.
- US approves UN use of force to protect civilians in conflict Updated: May-11-16 7:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United States on Wednesday pledged to support a set of principles that give a green light for U.N. peacekeeping troops and police to use force to protect civilians in armed conflicts.
- 2 former Rwandan mayors stand trial in France over genocide Updated: May-10-16 5:19 am
PARIS - Two former Rwandan mayors went on trial Tuesday in Paris for allegedly inciting and taking a leading part in the mass killing of ethnic Tutsis during the first days of the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
- Official: 49 people killed in Rwanda landslides amid rains Updated: May-09-16 7:17 am
KIGALI, Rwanda - At least 49 people have been killed by landslides in the country's north following heavy rains on Saturday and Sunday, a government official said Monday.