- Panama initiates process to seek extradition of ex-president Updated: May-26-16 8:51 pm
PANAMA CITY - Panama's top court has initiated a process to seek the extradition of former President Ricardo Martinelli from the United States on charges related to illegal wiretaps against dozens of opponents while in office.
- New Taiwan president to visit allies Panama, Paraguay Updated: May-26-16 1:00 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan says President Tsai Ing-wen will visit allies Panama and Paraguay next month on her first overseas trip since taking office, amid speculation over possible moves by China to tighten its diplomatic noose around the self-governing island.
- Man sentenced for killing, dismembering girlfriend in Panama Updated: May-25-16 8:19 pm
SAN DIEGO - A California man was sentenced to 26 years in prison Wednesday for killing his girlfriend in Panama, dismembering her body with a machete and disposing of her remains in the jungle.
- EU, Panama to discuss offshore accounts Updated: May-24-16 8:57 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union will have talks with Panamanian authorities on Wednesday in the wake of the offshore accounts scandal centering on people and multinationals stashing funds and avoid paying taxes, something which costs the EU billions a year.
- Space shuttle external tank to be displayed in Los Angeles Updated: May-18-16 3:08 pm
LOS ANGELES - NASA has shipped its last space shuttle external propellant tank to California to join the retired orbiter Endeavour on display in Los Angeles. The plan is to mount the winged spaceship vertically on the massive tank as if ready for launch, complete with a real pair of solid rocket boosters.
- Panama. Airlines cut prices for Cuban migrants Updated: May-18-16 3:02 pm
PANAMA CITY - Panama's government says airlines are cutting prices on tickets for Cuban migrants flying to the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez.
- The Latest: Space shuttle tank ends voyage to Los Angeles Updated: May-18-16 2:27 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Latest on a giant space shuttle external tank being shipped to California for display with the retired orbiter Endeavour (all times local):
- Doctor says brain tumor growing in Panama's Manuel Noriega Updated: May-12-16 8:50 pm
PANAMA CITY - A personal doctor and a daughter of imprisoned former Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega say his benign brain tumor has grown significantly and will require surgery.
- Panama files show Russian crackdown on offshoring is failing Updated: May-11-16 12:24 pm
MOSCOW - The thousands of Russian names on a list of offshore companies suggests President Vladimir Putin's effort to crack down on such entities is ineffective, experts say, and highlights how keeping wealth abroad remains one of the few ways to keep it safe from corrupt local officials.
- Panama Papers law firm threatens legal action Updated: May-10-16 9:57 pm
PANAMA CITY - The Panamanian law firm at the center of the huge trove of leaked documents detailing offshore financial dealings says it will take legal action against an international consortium of journalists.
- The Latest: Russia distances itself from Panama Papers Updated: May-10-16 6:56 am
LONDON - The Latest on the release of a database listing offshore companies named in the so-called Panama Papers (all times local):
- Panama Papers offshore companies data spurs anti-graft moves Updated: May-10-16 5:17 am
TOKYO - The latest release of the names of thousands of offshore companies and other financial data of the rich and powerful is spurring renewed calls to counter corruption and tax evasion.
- Colombia arrests alleged big money launderer from Panama Updated: May-06-16 4:02 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombian authorities have arrested a prominent Panama businessman they're calling the world's most-wanted money launderer and froze assets belonging to dozens of companies linked to him that were allegedly used to hide millions in illegal drug profits.
- Panama reports 4 cases of Zika-related microcephaly Updated: May-05-16 4:12 pm
PANAMA CITY - Health authorities in Panama said Thursday that they have identified four cases of the birth defect microcephaly linked to the Zika virus.