- Former vigilante leader runs for office in Mexican elections Updated: Jun-03-15 11:03 am
APATZINGAN, Mexico - Fed up with drug cartel demands for extortion payments, lime-grower Hipolito Mora picked up an old shotgun and led his neighbors in a vigilante uprising in 2013.
- Art rooted in the garden: Show explores Kahlo from new angle Updated: Jun-03-15 10:15 am
NEW YORK - In a sprawling, multi-disciplinary show, The New York Botanical Garden focuses on a long-overlooked side of artist Frida Kahlo: her deep connection to Mexico's plants and flowers, and how they inspired her art.
- 4 injured by explosive tossed at Mexico border courthouse Updated: Jun-03-15 9:39 am
MEXICO CITY - Four people are recovering from injuries after an assailant tossed an explosive device at a courthouse in the northern Mexico border city of Matamoros.
- Andres weakens to tropical storm, Blanca gains strength Updated: Jun-03-15 5:17 am
MIAMI - Andres has weakened to a tropical storm in the eastern Pacific while Hurricane Blanca is rapidly strengthening and is expected to become a major hurricane.
- Mexico candidate slain; 1,000s of ballots burned in attack Updated: Jun-02-15 11:19 pm
MEXICO CITY - A Mexican congressional candidate was shot dead in a town bordering the capital Tuesday, becoming the fourth politician to be slain ahead of Sunday's midterm elections.
- Small plane crashes on Mexican highway, killing all 5 aboard Updated: Jun-02-15 7:23 pm
JILOTEPEC, Mexico - A small plane has crashed on a major Mexican highway, killing all five people on board and shutting down traffic in both directions for several hours.
- NFL looking for more international games in Mexico, Germany Updated: Jun-02-15 5:05 pm
NEW YORK - Commissioner Roger Goodell casually mentioned last month the NFL's interest in adding more international games. He mentioned potential contests in Germany, Mexico and Brazil.
- Obama nominates senior State Dept. official as Mexico envoy Updated: Jun-01-15 9:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Roberta Jacobson, the top U.S. diplomat for Latin America and point person in detente talks with Cuba, was nominated Monday by President Barack Obama to be the U.S. ambassador to Mexico.
- Radical teachers vow to block Mexican midterm elections Updated: Jun-01-15 5:41 pm
MEXICO CITY - Members of a radical Mexican teachers union broke into or blockaded electoral offices in the southern state of Oaxaca on Monday amid threats to block this weekend's midterm elections.
- Jockey Victor Espinoza taking 3rd aim at Triple Crown win Updated: Jun-01-15 1:05 pm
ARCADIA, California - Victor Espinoza is oozing confidence a year after his hopes of riding a Triple Crown winner were dashed in the Belmont Stakes.
- 2 to plead guilty in Los Angeles fashion district raids Updated: May-28-15 11:07 pm
LOS ANGELES - A father and son have agreed to plead guilty to crimes stemming from an investigation into suspected money laundering for Mexican drug cartels in the Los Angeles fashion district.
- Mexico drops charges against 4 men, finds they were tortured Updated: May-27-15 9:38 pm
MEXICO CITY - A judge has freed four men imprisoned for almost seven years on charges they threw hand grenades into a crowd at a Mexican independence day celebration in 2008, killing eight people.
- Ex-LAPD officer wanted in killing was lying low in Mexico Updated: May-27-15 8:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - A fugitive former Los Angeles police officer charged with killing a man while off-duty evaded authorities for more than two months by moving between the homes of family members in Mexico, staying mostly indoors and avoiding cellphones and social media, the FBI said Wednesday.
- Survivors tell of terror during deadly Mexico tornado Updated: May-27-15 10:52 am
CIUDAD ACUNA, Mexico - Jose Francisco Contreras and his wife were driving to the bus he takes to his job at a factory in northern Mexico when the winds picked up and torrential rain began to fall.
- Ex-LAPD officer wanted in killing arrested in Mexico Updated: May-26-15 8:50 pm
MEXICO CITY - Police in northern Mexico have arrested a fugitive former Los Angeles police officer charged with killing a man during an off-duty fight in California.
- Agent who shot into Mexico, killed teen wants case dismissed Updated: May-26-15 7:56 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - A federal judge is considering throwing out a civil rights lawsuit against a U.S. Border Patrol agent who fatally shot a teenager across the U.S.-Mexico border on grounds that the boy was in Mexico at the time and therefore wasn't protected by the U.S. Constitution.
- Hundreds of taxi drivers march in Mexico against Uber Updated: May-25-15 4:30 pm
MEXICO CITY - Hundreds of taxi drivers marched through Mexico City Monday chanting "Uber Out!" and demanding city authorities ban the online ride service.
- Independent candidate rides hatred of politics in Mexico Updated: May-25-15 2:32 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexicans' disgust with corrupt, aloof, high-living politicians has a name, and it's El Bronco. The horseback-riding, boot-clad, tough-talking Jaime Rodriguez lives up to his nickname.
- Mexico to release water to lower Rio Grande Updated: May-23-15 2:25 pm
BROWNSVILLE, Texas - The Mexican government has announced plans to release excess water from reservoirs in the state of Nuevo Leon into the lower Rio Grande, actions expected to raise water levels in the border river.
- Americans' new defense will be in attack mode when possible Updated: May-23-15 2:47 am
SAN JOSE, California - Meghan Klingenberg figured she could go above and beyond to further build team camaraderie, and it involved a box of beautiful gourmet doughnuts for her teammates before a recent World Cup tuneup.
- Cartel surveillance cameras found in Mexican border city Updated: May-22-15 8:14 pm
CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico - A drug cartel in the northern state of Tamaulipas used at least 39 surveillance cameras to monitor the comings and goings of authorities in the city of Reynosa across the border from Texas, Mexican officials said Friday.
- Mexico officials: Bacterial infections sickened children Updated: May-22-15 7:01 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican health authorities say bacterial infections, and not contaminated vaccines, were responsible for the deaths of two infants and the sickening of 31 other babies earlier this month in the southern state of Chiapas.
- 3 bodies found near Mexico city occupied by vigilantes Updated: May-21-15 9:43 pm
ACAPULCO, Mexico - Mexican police found at least three dismembered bodies wrapped in blankets near a southern city where residents have reported that 10 people disappeared during a vigilante takeover earlier this month and six more went missing in previous months.
- Sinaloa cartel enforcer 'Chino Antrax' pleads guilty in US Updated: May-20-15 6:27 pm
SAN DIEGO - A top enforcer for Mexico's Sinaloa cartel pleaded guilty Wednesday to drug charges in a wide investigation of the group in the United States.
- House panel votes to repeal country-origin meat labeling law Updated: May-20-15 4:38 pm
WASHINGTON - A House committee has voted to get rid of labels on packages of meat that say where the animals were born, raised and slaughtered.