- Rhode Island schools take in Central American migrants Updated: May-02-16 3:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - One of Murkje Dekoe's students was pregnant and spent her weekends working long hours in a cranberry bog. Others spent nights toiling in factories and high-end restaurants.
- Guatemala declares 24 missing in garbage landslide at dump Updated: Apr-29-16 3:25 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemala City authorities say that 24 people are listed as missing two days after a massive slope of trash collapsed, killing at least four people.
- Belize says Guatemala "amassing" troops in border areas Updated: Apr-22-16 3:53 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - The tiny Central American country of Belize has accused larger neighbor Guatemala of "amassing" troops along the two countries' border following the death of a 13-year-old boy in a shooting incident apparently involving Belizean soldiers.
- Woman from Guatemala gets 3 years in US human smuggling case Updated: Apr-22-16 3:33 pm
HOUSTON - A Guatemalan woman must serve three years in a U.S. prison for helping smuggle immigrants from India into Texas via Mexico.
- Guatemalan ex-president linked to new scandal Updated: Apr-15-16 7:10 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Former Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina and his then-vice president led a criminal organization that collected at least $30 million in bribes to award a contract to build a port terminal, the country's attorney general and an international anti-corruption commission announced Friday.
- Guatemala prosecutors target lawmakers over racism complaint Updated: Apr-14-16 4:29 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors are seeking to have the immunity of office withdrawn from eight Guatemalan lawmakers over a complaint of racially tinged insults directed at an indigenous governor, officials said Thursday.
- 2 sentenced to prison in forced labor case on Ohio egg farm Updated: Apr-11-16 4:25 pm
TOLEDO, Ohio - A federal judge sentenced two men to prison on Monday for taking part in a scheme to smuggle teens into the U.S. and keep them as virtual slaves at an Ohio egg farm, but he delayed sentencing for the ringleader after learning he had not given up properties taken from the victims' families.
- Guatemala bank raid, probe target Venezuelan's account Updated: Apr-08-16 7:57 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalan prosecutors raided the offices of a bank and froze some $20 million worth of the bank's shares on Friday as part of a money-laundering probe involving a Venezuelan man.
- Guatemala sentences 5 for killing of Argentine folk singer Updated: Apr-07-16 9:10 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge in Guatemala has sentenced a Costa Rican man and four Guatemalans to 30 years in prison for the 2011 killing of Argentine folk singer Facundo Cabral.
- Guatemala accuses 14 of forcing farmers to sell their land Updated: Apr-06-16 6:42 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalan prosecutors have arrested 14 people who allegedly forced poor farmers to sell their land at cut-rate prices.