- Chad's leader, in power since 1990, secures 5th term Updated: Apr-21-16 6:51 pm
N'DJAMENA, Chad - Chad President Idriss Deby has won a fifth term in office, soundly defeating more than a dozen challengers to remain leader of a country that is central to Africa's fight against Islamic militants, the national election commission announced late Thursday.
- US warns of links between Islamic State, Boko Haram Updated: Apr-20-16 2:32 pm
N'DJAMENA, Chad - At "Ground Zero" in Africa's counterterrorism fight, senior U.S. officials warned of deepening links between the Islamic State and Boko Haram and prodded Chad's ruling strongman to introduce reforms for the sake of long-term stability.
- UN official: More help needed for Africa's Sahel region Updated: Apr-12-16 6:27 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A senior U.N. official on Tuesday said the ongoing poverty and horror resulting from attacks by the extremist Boko Haram group in Africa's Lake Chad basin are at their worst and called for increased relief funding for its 3 million people and broader international engagement in the region.
- Child bombers used by Boko Haram increases 10-fold: UNICEF Updated: Apr-12-16 11:18 am
KANO, Nigeria - The number of child bombers used by the Islamic extremists of Boko Haram has increased from four to 44 in a year with devastating consequences in communities that now see children as threats, UNICEF said Tuesday.
- Cameroon: Joint forces arrest 300 Boko Haram fighters Updated: Apr-05-16 7:54 am
YAOUNDE, Cameroon - Cameroon says multinational forces fighting Boko Haram have arrested over 300 Islamic extremists and freed at least 2,000 people from their strongholds along Cameroon, Nigeria and Chad borders.