- AP EXPLAINS: Puerto Rico's struggle with $72B of public debt Updated: Dec-01-15 3:33 pm
Puerto Rico is staggering under a $72 billion public debt load that its governor has said the U.S. territory cannot pay and must restructure. The island has missed a debt payment and its worsening economic crisis has spooked investors who fear it's headed toward default, with no options for a bailout or bankruptcy declaration. Here's a brief explanation of how Puerto Rico accumulated so much debt, how its territorial status complicates matters and how it could emerge from a nearly decade-long economic slump.
- Puerto Rico makes debt payment, warns of dwindling funds Updated: Dec-01-15 2:47 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico narrowly avoided a multimillion-dollar default on Tuesday by announcing a last-minute bond payment while warning that a deepening financial crisis has forced the government to divert money slated for future debt payments to avoid a shutdown of basic services.
- Puerto Rico makes debt payment Updated: Dec-01-15 12:37 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico has narrowly avoided a multimillion-dollar default by announcing a last-minute bond payment.
- Man charged with $1.4 million MoneyGram embezzlement Updated: Nov-29-15 4:09 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Authorities in the U.S. Virgin Islands say they have arrested a man on charges related to the embezzlement of $1.4 million from a MoneyGram operation.
- Weisner leads No. 7 Oregon State women past Arkansas Updated: Nov-28-15 6:32 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Oregon State faced its first challenge of the young season and held off pesky Arkansas.
- Coast Guard finds body believed to be missing Chilean man Updated: Nov-28-15 2:37 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - The U.S. Coast Guard has found a body floating off Puerto Rico's northwest coast that officials believe to be a Chilean man reported missing from a cargo vessel traveling through the region.
- Use of banned pesticide not isolated event in US territories Updated: Nov-28-15 12:05 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Nine months after a vacationing family nearly died from exposure to methyl bromide on the island of St. John, authorities have come to at least one troubling conclusion: The use of the banned pesticide was not an isolated event in U.S. Caribbean territories.
- Wiese and Weisner lead No. 7 Oregon State in rout of Hofstra Updated: Nov-27-15 3:11 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Oregon State got off to a fast start and never looked back against Hofstra.
- Chilean man missing from cargo vessel north of Puerto Rico Updated: Nov-26-15 2:34 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - U.S. Coast Guard rescue teams are combing the Atlantic Ocean near Puerto Rico in search of a Chilean man reported missing from a cargo vessel traveling through the region.
- US tourist run over in Puerto Rico after graffiti incident Updated: Nov-24-15 11:27 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Police in Puerto Rico say a 27-year-old tourist from Kentucky has died after being hit by a car while running away from a graffiti mural he was painting.
- Miami's Rodriguez looks up to Puerto Rican NBA point guards Updated: Nov-23-15 12:50 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Miami's Angel Rodriguez left Puerto Rico at 15 for the U.S. mainland to play high school basketball and chase a college scholarship.
- Miami beats No. 22 Butler 85-75 to win Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-23-15 1:05 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Angel Rodriguez stood on the court, wearing both a big smile and the flag of his native Puerto Rico around his shoulders as he celebrated with Miami teammates.
- Miami beats No. 22 Butler 85-75 to win Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-22-15 11:25 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Butler's Kellen Dunham couldn't get anything going for the third straight half before he finally found his shot against Miami.
- No. 16 Utah tops Temple 74-68 in for 3rd in Puerto Rico Updated: Nov-22-15 8:13 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Jakob Poeltl was a force inside for No. 16 Utah. And he got some help from Brandon Taylor at a key moment.
- Texas Tech beats Minnesota 81-68 in Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-22-15 6:08 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Texas Tech coach Tubby Smith didn't want to make a big deal out of facing his former Minnesota program.
- Mississippi State beats Missouri State 84-70 in Puerto Rico Updated: Nov-22-15 3:03 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Ben Howland finally got his wish for Mississippi State to play with a halftime lead. Now he wants the Bulldogs to do a better job protecting that margin when they've got it.
- No. 22 Butler beats Temple 74-69 in Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-20-15 10:59 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Chris Holtmann finally got to see how his Butler team would handle a game when the offense wasn't run-run-running its way to big scoring totals.
- No. 16 Utah loses 90-66 to Miami in Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-20-15 10:57 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Larry Krystkowiak didn't sound all that bothered by the defense for No. 16 Utah in a blowout loss to Miami.
- Miami rolls past No. 16 Utah 90-66 in Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-20-15 10:39 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Two games into the Puerto Rico Tipoff, Miami's veteran bunch is knocking down shots, converting turnovers into important baskets and romping to blowout victories with ease.
- Texas Tech holds off Mississippi State 74-72 in Puerto Rico Updated: Nov-20-15 8:11 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Texas Tech did just enough to set up a reunion for coach Tubby Smith with his previous team.
- Minnesota holds off Missouri State 74-69 in Puerto Rico Updated: Nov-20-15 7:38 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Joey King couldn't miss to start Friday's game, helping Minnesota's offense get off to a fast start on the way to building a big lead at the Puerto Rico Tipoff.
- Puerto Rico Doral Bank official arrested amid FBI probe Updated: Nov-20-15 12:45 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - An assistant to the CEO of a Puerto Rico bank has been arrested on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.
- No. 16 Utah beats Texas Tech 73-63 in Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-19-15 10:42 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak pushed his team to play tougher after a first half in which they squandered much of a 12-point lead and couldn't keep Texas Tech off the boards.
- Miami beats Mississippi State 105-79 in Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-19-15 10:00 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Miami coach Jim Larranaga didn't like the look of his team during its pregame shootaround before opening the Puerto Rico Tipoff.
- Temple rallies past Minnesota 75-70 in Puerto Rico Tipoff Updated: Nov-19-15 5:43 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Temple went from opening the second half with confidence and momentum to watching it all evaporate amid a run of rimmed-out shots and shaky execution.