- 1st of 4 WBC qualifying tournaments set for Sydney Updated: Feb-09-16 7:53 pm
SYDNEY - The first of four regional qualifiers for next year's World Baseball Classic begins Thursday with host team Australia aiming to advance to the final 16 and improve on its poor record in past tournaments.
- Some Dominicans don't want Vagas Llosa to get literary prize Updated: Feb-09-16 5:04 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Plans in the Dominican Republic to award a literary prize to Peruvian author Mario Vargas Llosa have angered some people, including a member of the president's Cabinet.
- Top Cuban player slips away with brother to join US majors Updated: Feb-08-16 3:27 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Star Cuban infielder Yulieski Gourriel and his younger brother slipped away from their hotel in the Dominican Republic early Monday in an apparent effort to launch careers in Major League Baseball.
- Mexico wins Caribbean Series with HR in 9th inning Updated: Feb-07-16 8:06 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Jorge Vazquez hit a home run to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning Sunday, lifting Mexico's Mazatlan Venados to a 5-4 comeback victory over Venezuela's Aragua Tigres for the Caribbean Series championship.
- Victor Estrella Burgos retains his Ecuador Open title Updated: Feb-07-16 3:54 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic rallied from a set down to beat Thomaz Bellucci of Brazil 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 on Sunday to retain his title on clay in the Ecuador Open in Quito.
- Reds outfield prospect Duran suspended for positive test Updated: Feb-05-16 5:37 pm
NEW YORK - Cincinnati Reds outfield prospect Juan Duran has been suspended for the first 80 games of the season under Major League Baseball's drug program following a positive test for three performance-enhancing substances.
- Judge: US citizen serving as foreign diplomat can face trial Updated: Feb-04-16 9:40 pm
NEW YORK - A U.S. citizen serving as a foreign diplomat from the Dominican Republic is not immune from criminal prosecution in a United Nations bribery scandal, a judge ruled Thursday.
- Florida surfer vanishes from beach in Dominican Republic Updated: Feb-04-16 1:36 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Authorities in the Dominican Republic said Thursday that they are looking for a South Florida tourist who apparently vanished from a beach popular with surfers.
- More airlines offer Zika refunds to pregnant women Updated: Jan-28-16 5:35 pm
DALLAS - More U.S. airlines and cruise operators are offering refunds or letting pregnant women change itineraries if they booked a trip to places dealing with an outbreak of Zika virus.
- A glance at Zika cases and complications in Latin America Updated: Jan-27-16 7:42 pm
A glance at the number of Zika cases and complications by country in Latin America and the Caribbean:
- Woodward, Hulett to manage in World Classic qualifying Updated: Jan-27-16 5:27 pm
NEW YORK - Former big league infielder Chris Woodward will manage New Zealand in qualifying next month for the 2017 World Baseball Classic.
- Astros minor leaguer killed in motorcycle accident Updated: Jan-25-16 4:11 pm
HOUSTON - The Houston Astros say minor league pitcher Jose Rosario was killed in a motorcycle accident in the Dominican Republic.
- Correction: Big Snowstorm-Airlines story Updated: Jan-25-16 11:52 am
In a story Jan. 24 about airports returning to service after a blizzard hit the East Coast, The Associated Press, relying on information from Delta Air Lines, erroneously reported that Delta's first flight out of John F. Kennedy International Airport after the blizzard was to Santiago, Chile. The first flight was to Santiago, Dominican Republic.
- Dominican economy lures Puerto Ricans in crisis Updated: Jan-25-16 10:13 am
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Carlos Gonzalez already had noticed the growing number of empty chairs and increasingly quiet slot machines at the Puerto Rico casino where he worked as he mulled a job offer in the Dominican Republic.
- Man arrested in Dominican Republic police officer's death Updated: Jan-17-16 9:39 pm
LOWELL, Massachusetts - Massachusetts police say a man wanted for the death of a police officer in the Dominican Republic has been arrested.
- Paul Chaplet wins Latin America Amateur, spot in Masters Updated: Jan-17-16 4:43 pm
LA ROMANA, Dominican Republic - Six years after Paul Chaplet first touched a golf club, the 16-year-old from Costa Rica is going to the Masters.