- Memorial service to be held for crew member aboard El Faro Updated: Oct-13-15 11:45 am
JAY, Maine - A memorial service is being held for a Maine man who was a crew member on a cargo ship that sank in Hurricane Joaquin.
- NTSB: Navy will find sunken ship, locate key data recorder Updated: Oct-08-15 8:03 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - U.S. safety investigators say the U.S. Navy soon will set out to find the cargo ship sunk in Hurricane Joaquin and locate a data recorder critical to determining why it went down.
- Finding recorder key to solving the sinking of cargo ship Updated: Oct-08-15 5:01 am
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - Investigators trying to determine why a 790-foot cargo ship stalled and sank in the howling winds of Hurricane Joaquin will be searching for a brightly colored device bolted to the deck and pinging away in the blackness and pressure of the 15,000-foot-deep sea.
- The Latest: Coast Guard calls off search for missing crew Updated: Oct-07-15 7:53 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The latest on a U.S.-based cargo ship that sank in the Atlantic and the search for crew members. All times local:
- Captain, crew of doomed ship loved the sea, despite dangers Updated: Oct-06-15 4:14 pm
JACKSONVILLE, Florida - The El Faro carried a crew of 28 Americans and five Polish workers when it sank in the Atlantic after losing engine power amid Hurricane Joaquin's 50-foot waves and 140 mph winds. One body has been sighted in the debris area, but the search continues for survivors. Here are some of the people who were on the ship:
- 2 Massachusetts Maritime grads among crew on sunken ship Updated: Oct-05-15 4:44 pm
BOSTON - Two graduates of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy are among crew members missing from a U.S. cargo ship that sank near the Bahamas after encountering heavy seas from Hurricane Joaquin.
- A timeline on the search for missing cargo ship El Faro Updated: Oct-05-15 4:26 pm
MIAMI - Here is a timeline on the search for the cargo ship El Faro, missing off the coast of the Bahamas:
- Cargo ships that have sunk with fatalities since 2011 Updated: Oct-05-15 2:50 pm
On Monday, the Coast Guard said a U.S. cargo ship carrying 33 people sank. It disappeared four days earlier, after encountering high winds and heavy seas from Hurricane Joaquin. One body has been found, and planes and ships are still searching for the rest of the crew. Here are some past incidents in which cargo ships have sunk:
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- News briefs from around Kentucky at 1:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 3:01 am
CHICAGO - The Illinois attorney general's office says a subpoena has been issued in the investigation into Volkswagen.