- Air New Zealand's annual profit up 24 percent as it expands Updated: Aug-25-15 8:02 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's national airline on Wednesday posted a 24 percent jump in annual profit after benefiting from lower fuel costs and continuing its expansion in Asia and North America.
- Record wildfire in Washington gets international, local help Updated: Aug-24-15 10:19 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - As Washington state's wildfires burned into the record books Monday, calls for help were answered from far and near.
- The Latest: Crews fight fire near Montana highway Updated: Aug-24-15 4:07 pm
OKANOGAN, Washington - The latest on wildfires in the West (all times local):
- Australia, New Zealand sending firefighters to US Updated: Aug-20-15 6:31 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Australia and New Zealand are sending firefighters to help battle wildfires burning in the western United States.
- South African cricket team's secret plans end up on Facebook Updated: Aug-19-15 9:09 am
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - The papers outlining secret tactics were meant to be slipped under South African cricketer Dale Steyn's hotel room door on the eve of a game against New Zealand.
- Fiji arrests 63 people accused of inciting political unrest Updated: Aug-19-15 2:04 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Dozens of people have been arrested in Fiji after authorities said they were trying to incite political upheaval or violence, saying some were involved with a paramilitary-style training group while others were attempting to set up a sovereign Christian state.
- New Zealand towns on edge as police hunt for armed suspects Updated: Aug-18-15 8:22 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A manhunt in New Zealand Wednesday prompted schools to close and put several towns on edge after police said a group of five suspects shot at them and stole a police car before disappearing.
- WWII veteran's prayer book returned to family after 70 years Updated: Aug-18-15 8:14 am
NEWTOWN, Pennsylvania - A late World War II veteran's prayer book found in New Zealand was safely returned to his wife in suburban Philadelphia after 70 years.
- Australia qualifies for Olympics, beats New Zealand 89-79 Updated: Aug-18-15 6:11 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Golden State Warriors center Andrew Bogut and his Australia teammates have qualified for next year's Olympic basketball tournament.
- Olympic qualifying: Australia 71, New Zealand 59 Updated: Aug-15-15 9:04 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - San Antonio Spurs point guard Patty Mills hit two three-pointers in the final four minutes Saturday to help Australia pull away from New Zealand for a 71-59 win in an Oceania qualifying match for next year's Rio Olympics.
- Lindsey Vonn injures ankle in New Zealand training crash Updated: Aug-13-15 2:26 pm
QUEENSTOWN, New Zealand - Lindsey Vonn has another injury to worry about after fracturing an ankle bone in a training crash in New Zealand.
- New Zealand's largest coal miner enters managed bankruptcy Updated: Aug-13-15 12:08 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's largest coal miner was forced into a managed bankruptcy Thursday due to a steep fall in coal prices over several years.
- A new flag? New Zealand picks 40 best from 10,000 designs Updated: Aug-12-15 3:22 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand is considering changing its flag. The public was encouraged to come up with ideas, and submitted more than 10,000 designs. A government-appointed panel has winnowed those down to 40 finalists.
- Finance, venue challenges for Durban 2022 Com. Games bid Updated: Aug-11-15 9:33 am
DURBAN, South Africa - Durban's 2022 Commonwealth Games bid still has "challenges" before it can become the event's first African host, including getting a financial guarantee from the South African government, a bid leader said.
- Frustrated Flight 370 families: 'We need definite answers' Updated: Aug-06-15 2:32 pm
BEIJING - Families aching for closure after their relatives disappeared aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 last year vented deep frustration Thursday at differing statements from Malaysia and France over whether the finding of a plane part had been confirmed.
- Shot put star Valerie Adams to miss world champs Updated: Aug-05-15 5:17 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's Valerie Adams will not defend her shot put title at this month's world championships as she is struggling to recover from shoulder and elbow surgery.
- Experts say pieces of missing Flight 370 may still be afloat Updated: Aug-05-15 12:13 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - If a wing fragment found in the western Indian Ocean turns out to be part of missing Flight 370, experts say, there are probably other pieces of the aircraft that floated off rather than sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Finding them remains the hard part.
- New Zealander who was last WWII 'Dambuster' pilot dies at 96 Updated: Aug-04-15 6:55 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A New Zealander who was the last surviving pilot from the specialized World War II "Dambuster" mission targeting German infrastructure died Tuesday. Les Munro was 96.
- AC/DC's Rudd pleads not guilty to breaching detention rules Updated: Aug-02-15 10:52 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleaded not guilty on Monday to breaching the rules of his home detention sentence by drinking alcohol.
- Lawsuit: Bosses let rules-breaking sailor compete in Cup Updated: Aug-01-15 11:59 pm
SAN DIEGO - Top officials with Oracle Team USA knew grinder Matt Mitchell didn't illegally alter a catamaran used in warmup regattas and yet let a rules-breaking sailor compete in the 2013 America's Cup, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court in San Francisco.
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- Tracing back debris to find Flight 370 may prove impossible Updated: Jul-31-15 6:31 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - If it's confirmed that a wing fragment found on a remote island in the Indian Ocean is from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, lost more than 500 days ago, could scientists use their knowledge of ocean currents to trace back its path and pinpoint the bulk of the wreck?
- New Zealand appeals Olympics disqualification Updated: Jul-31-15 2:50 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand Football has appealed the disqualification of its Under-23 team from the Oceania Olympic qualifying tournament for use of an ineligible player.
- Relatives torn over possible 1st debris from missing MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 5:25 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Jacquita Gomes is torn about whether to believe that plane debris found more than 16 months after the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is the first concrete evidence that her husband is truly gone.
- US official: Plane debris in Indian Ocean same type as MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:37 am
WASHINGTON - Air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that aircraft debris found in the Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year, a U.S. official said Wednesday.