- Mitch Larkin sets short-course backstroke world record Updated: Nov-27-15 5:15 am
SYDNEY - Australian swimmer Mitchell Larkin set a short-course world record in the 200-meter backstroke final at the national titles on Friday.
- New Zealand out for 202 vs Australia in 1st day-night test Updated: Nov-27-15 4:38 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Australia pacemen Mitch Starc and Josh Hazlewood took three wickets each as New Zealand was dismissed for 202 on Friday after winning the toss and batting in the first day-night cricket test.
- Spieth, Scott go in opposite directions at Australian Open Updated: Nov-27-15 3:22 am
SYDNEY - Jordan Spieth and Adam Scott went in opposite directions at the Australian Open on Friday while Matt Jones used home-course advantage to shoot a 3-under 68 and take a three-stroke lead after two rounds.
- Freshman Smith is Stanford's first international recruit Updated: Nov-27-15 2:24 am
STANFORD, California - Alanna Smith had already left for her flight across the world to join Stanford's basketball team, so she never saw her mother's tears as the freshman departed Australia by herself.
- Fiji sevens team to the rescue as passenger taken ill Updated: Nov-27-15 1:50 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The world champion Fiji sevens rugby team has been praised after stepping in to assist cabin crew during a medical emergency on a flight from Fiji to Brisbane on Thursday.
- Japan ready to submit proposal for Australia submarine deal Updated: Nov-26-15 9:34 pm
TOKYO - Japan is set to bid on joint development and production of an Australian submarine, Tokyo's first major military transfer since the World War II.
- Andy Murray leads Britain's Davis Cup bid against Belgium Updated: Nov-26-15 10:09 am
GHENT, Belgium - Andy Murray ended a 77-year wait for a British man to win the Wimbledon title and he is on the verge of snapping an even longer drought in the Davis Cup final.
- Fan pours drink on Celtics draft pick Thornton during game Updated: Nov-26-15 1:57 am
SYDNEY - An elderly basketball fan has been banned for the rest of the Australian season after tipping beer on the head of Boston Celtics 2015 draft pick Marcus Thornton during a domestic league game.
- Spieth finds going tough in 1st round of Australian Open Updated: Nov-26-15 1:51 am
SYDNEY - Last year, Jordan Spieth played what he called the best round of his life by shooting a record 8-under 63 to win the Australian Open by six strokes.
- Australia, New Zealand ready for 1st day-night test match Updated: Nov-26-15 12:59 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Pink leather and bright lights. The color and the concept are creating a stir in cricket circles on the eve of the sport's first day-night test match.
- Australian wildfire kills at least 2 and injures 13 others Updated: Nov-25-15 8:02 pm
ADELAIDE, Australia - Firefighters contained a large wildfire Thursday that had caused at least two deaths, 13 injuries and destroyed at least 16 homes near the southern Australian city of Adelaide, officials said.
- Adelaide Oval to aid bowlers in 3rd Australia-NZ test Updated: Nov-25-15 5:46 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Cricket officials have tweaked the normally predictable Adelaide Oval pitch to help bowlers in the third test between Australia and New Zealand starting on Friday.
- Third search ship joins hunt for missing Malaysian airliner Updated: Nov-25-15 2:33 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A third ship will join the deep sea hunt for a missing Malaysian airliner as the 13-month-old search of a huge expanse of the Indian Ocean ramps up during the southern hemisphere summer, officials said Wednesday.
- Scott's 14-year title streak under threat as 2015 winds down Updated: Nov-25-15 1:33 am
SYDNEY - Adam Scott is without a tournament victory thus far in 2015, putting his 14-year record of winning at least one tournament a year in jeopardy going into this week's Australian Open.
- Lauren Jackson's recovery from knee surgery hits setback Updated: Nov-24-15 10:05 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Three-time WNBA Most Valuable Player Lauren Jackson has hit a setback in her goal to play for Australia at the 2016 Summer Olympics and may consider retirement.
- Australia calls for restraint after Russian plane shot down Updated: Nov-24-15 7:19 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister on Wednesday called for Russia and Turkey to show restraint over the shooting down of as Russian jet fighter near the Syria-Turkey border, adding Australia is paying close attention to the safety of Australian pilots over Syria.
- Australia leader talks down prospect of US-led army in Syria Updated: Nov-24-15 5:36 am
CANBERRA, Australia - There is no support among world leaders for the prospect of a U.S.-led army in Iraq and Syria to take back ground from Islamic State militants, Australia's prime minister said Tuesday.
- Count Jordan Spieth as a likely Rio Olympics starter in 2016 Updated: Nov-24-15 12:35 am
SYDNEY - Jordan Spieth and Adam Scott, the two headliners at this week's Australian Open, have distinctly different excitement levels over next year's Rio Olympics golf tournament.
- Australia says checks on Syrian refugees could take a year Updated: Nov-22-15 10:56 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The Australian government remained committed to resettling 12,000 Syrian refugees, but security checks could take more than a year, officials said Monday.
- Adelaide, Jets in scoreless draw in goal-starved A-League Updated: Nov-22-15 3:32 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Adelaide United and Newcastle Jets played to a scoreless draw in the A-League on Sunday in a seventh round where goals were hard to come by.
- Senior the "senior" wins Australian Masters with closing 68 Updated: Nov-22-15 2:39 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Peter Senior claimed his third Australian Masters title on Sunday and set another age record in his home country as the 56-year-old shot a final-round 3-under 68 for a two-stroke victory.
- Meet the 3 new Illusionists to appear on Broadway Updated: Nov-20-15 10:32 am
NEW YORK - The magic super group "The Illusionists" has reappeared on Broadway this fall and three new acts are among the seven performers. Here's a look at them:
- England hires Eddie Jones as its 1st overseas rugby coach Updated: Nov-20-15 9:25 am
England turned to the man who masterminded arguably the biggest upset in rugby history to revive its national team on Friday, hiring Eddie Jones on a four-year deal as the country's first foreign-born coach.
- Australian whale-watcher body's recovered Updated: Nov-19-15 5:07 pm
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - The body of an Australian man missing since a whale-watching boat capsized last month was recovered off Canada's Pacific Coast, the British Columbia Coroners Service said Thursday.
- Foreign owner ban scuttles Australia's biggest land sale Updated: Nov-19-15 9:21 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A government ban on foreign investors buying a pioneering dynasty's collection of cattle ranches has scuttled Australia's biggest land sale, an official said on Friday.