- US stocks open higher as oil rebounds, banks rise Updated: Feb-12-16 9:45 am
U.S. stocks opened higher, seeking their first gain this week, as beaten-down energy and financial companies rebounded.
- World Baseball Classic qualifying: Aussies 4, South Africa 1 Updated: Feb-12-16 6:56 am
SYDNEY - Australia scored three first-inning runs on five hits - including four consecutive hits to start the game - and defeated South Africa 4-1 on Friday to advance to the final of the World Baseball Classic qualifying tournament.
- Brisbane lead by 1 in A-League after drawing with Newcastle Updated: Feb-12-16 6:30 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Brisbane moved a point clear into first place in the A-League after veteran defender Jade North's second-half goal allowed the Roar to draw with the Newcastle Jets 2-2 on Friday.
- Australian minister resigns for breaching code of conduct Updated: Feb-12-16 12:11 am
CANBERRA, Australia - An embattled Australian government minister resigned on Friday for breaching ministerial standards through a business trip to China, clearing the way for the prime minister to announce a final Cabinet reshuffle ahead of elections due this year.
- Drug smuggling charge dropped against 92-year-old Sydney man Updated: Feb-11-16 9:27 pm
SYDNEY - Prosecutors dropped a charge against a 92-year-old retired surgeon on Friday that alleged he had smuggled 1 million Australian dollars ($700,000) in cocaine hidden on bars of soap into Sydney airport.
- Rio Tinto posts $866M loss, blames deteriorating economy Updated: Feb-11-16 3:40 am
SYDNEY - Mining company Rio Tinto said Thursday it suffered a loss of $866 million in 2015 as deteriorating economic conditions around the world pressured prices of commodities such as iron ore and coal.
- Aussie Olympic doctor says Rio water bigger worry than Zika Updated: Feb-10-16 11:58 pm
BRISBANE, Australia - The Australian team's medical director says water quality will be more of a threat to the health of athletes and officials at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro than the mosquito-borne Zika virus.
- US WWII vet reunites with wartime girlfriend in Australia Updated: Feb-10-16 11:05 pm
SYDNEY - A 93-year-old World War II veteran from the United States embraced his wartime girlfriend in Australia in their reunion Wednesday after more than 70 years apart.
- Western Sydney fined, points suspended over fan misbehavior Updated: Feb-10-16 9:25 pm
SYDNEY - Football Federation Australia has fined Western Sydney Wanderers 50,000 Australian dollars ($35,600) and imposed a suspended competition point deduction following the misbehavior of fans who lit flares during last weekend's A-League match at Melbourne Victory.
- Lauren Jackson to wait until March to decide on Rio Games Updated: Feb-10-16 8:15 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Former WNBA MVP Lauren Jackson will wait until March to make a final decision on whether to play in her fifth Olympics for Australia.
- Australian charged with sex attack on 2 backpackers on beach Updated: Feb-10-16 6:58 pm
ADELAIDE, Australia - Two female backpackers from Europe were savagely attacked on a remote Australian beach by a traveling companion they had met hours earlier, police said on Wednesday.
- Pregnant Australian woman tests positive for Zika virus Updated: Feb-10-16 7:23 am
SYDNEY - A pregnant woman in Australia has tested positive for the Zika virus after traveling overseas, health officials said Wednesday.
- Aussie lawmakers gifted designer watches, think they're fake Updated: Feb-10-16 2:46 am
SYDNEY - Australia's former prime minister and two other politicians were gifted designer watches by a Chinese businessman - but initially kept them only because they thought the 40,000 Australian dollar ($28,000) timepieces were fake, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
- Australia commits to legal growing of medicinal marijuana Updated: Feb-09-16 11:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian lawmakers committed on Wednesday to legalize the growing of marijuana for medical use within a part of the world renowned for zero-tolerance and harsh penalties for illegal drugs.
- Australia drops charge against suspected Kurdish militant Updated: Feb-09-16 8:06 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The government has dropped a charge against an Australian man accused of preparing to fight with Kurdish militants against the Islamic State movement.
- US drawn against Australia in Fed Cup playoffs Updated: Feb-09-16 9:58 am
LONDON - The United States will travel to Australia in April as they try to win back their place in the top tier of the Fed Cup.
- Retired Olympian wanted for security fraud in Utah County Updated: Feb-08-16 1:09 pm
PROVO, Utah - The Utah County Sheriff's Office is actively seeking a retired Olympian on investigation of security fraud.
- WWII vet begins journey to reunite with wartime girlfriend Updated: Feb-08-16 7:23 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - A World War II veteran has embarked on a 10,500-mile journey to visit his wartime girlfriend after more than 70 years apart.
- Controversial minister to become Australia's rights envoy Updated: Feb-08-16 2:18 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The former Australian immigration minister who began the widely condemned policy of sending asylum seekers to Pacific island detention camps will become Australia's first special envoy for human rights, the government said Monday.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Bencic, Hingis help Switzerland beat Germany 3-2 in Fed Cup Updated: Feb-07-16 2:31 pm
LEIPZIG, Germany - Belinda Bencic and Australian Open doubles champion Martina Hingis sent Switzerland to the Fed Cup semifinals with a 3-2 win over Germany on Sunday.
- Kennaugh leads Froome after 3 stages of Melbourne cycle tour Updated: Feb-06-16 2:10 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Britain's Peter Kennaugh and Chris Froome retain the top-two placings on general classification entering Sunday's final stage of the Herald-Sun Cycle Tour.
- Coroner rules out driver, trainer error in Edwards death Updated: Feb-05-16 12:13 am
BRISBANE, Australia - A coronial inquest into the death of British racing driver Sean Edwards at an Australian speedway in 2013 has found that mechanical failure caused the accident.
- Australia resists pressure to allow asylum seekers to stay Updated: Feb-03-16 11:53 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia is resisting mounting international pressure not to deport child asylum seekers, with a minister warning Thursday that allowing them to stay could attract more refugees to come by boat.
- Expert: Parents often won't take surrogate kids with defects Updated: Feb-03-16 11:36 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - A newborn Down syndrome baby left by his Australian biological father with his poor surrogate mother in Thailand was one of several cases of surrogate children abandoned because of defects, an expert told a parliamentary inquiry on Thursday.