- Afghan artist paints Kabul's walls of war to help heal city Updated: Sep-04-15 3:23 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - A city at war, the Afghan capital is among the ugliest in the world.
- VENICE WATCH: Ukraine revolution inspires Venice documentary Updated: Sep-04-15 1:40 pm
VENICE, Italy - The Venice Film Festival is bringing 11 days of red carpet premieres, innovative movies and Hollywood glamour to the Italian city. Here's what has been catching the eye of The Associated Press:
- Shark mauls 65-year-old and injures his leg off Australia Updated: Sep-04-15 5:23 am
SYDNEY - A 65-year-old man was mauled by a shark off Australia's most populous state on Friday, but managed to get back on his surf ski and get help for a serious leg injury, police said.
- Lawler-Condit welterweight title bout rescheduled for Jan. 2 Updated: Sep-04-15 1:50 am
LAS VEGAS - Robbie Lawler's welterweight title bout against Carlos Condit has been rescheduled for UFC 195 on Jan. 2.
- Australia scrumhalf says Wallabies won't underestimate US Updated: Sep-03-15 9:44 pm
CHICAGO - Australia scrumhalf Nick Phipps won't be underestimating the United States in a Rugby World Cup warm-up match Saturday at Soldier Field.
- Australian Rugby, Notre Dame to exchange training data Updated: Sep-03-15 7:58 pm
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - GPS helped the Australian Rugby Union team get to Notre Dame - and it has nothing to do with the Wallabies having difficulty finding the Golden Dome.
- Japan beats Cambodia 3-0 in World Cup qualifier Updated: Sep-03-15 5:29 pm
SAITAMA, Japan - Japan eased past Cambodia 3-0 to secure its first win in World Cup qualifying while South Korea thrashed Laos 8-0 to stay undefeated on Thursday.
- 2018 World Cup qualifier: Australia 5, Bangladesh 0 Updated: Sep-03-15 9:38 am
PERTH, Australia - Australia scored four times in the opening half hour before going on to beat Bangladesh 5-0 on Thursday in an Asian confederation qualifying match for the 2018 World Cup.
- Lost Australian sheep yields 30 sweaters worth of fleece Updated: Sep-03-15 7:41 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A lost, overgrown sheep found in Australian scrubland was shorn for perhaps the first time on Thursday, yielding 40 kilograms (89 pounds) of wool - the equivalent of 30 sweaters - and shedding almost half his body weight.
- Australian police won't charge Mel Gibson over tirade claim Updated: Sep-03-15 7:04 am
SYDNEY - Police do not intend to charge Mel Gibson over an allegation that the Oscar-winning director shoved and abused a newspaper photographer who snapped pictures of him and his new girlfriend in Sydney last month, officials said Thursday.
- Australia woman hit near Vegas Strip in critical condition Updated: Sep-03-15 6:16 am
LAS VEGAS - Authorities say a 20-year-old Australia woman remained hospitalized in critical condition after being struck by a vehicle while crossing a restricted roadway just off the Las Vegas Strip.
- Australian leader causes offense by comparing IS with Nazis Updated: Sep-03-15 6:14 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister angered some Jewish leaders on Thursday by suggesting that the Islamic State movement was worse than Nazis during World War II.
- Slipper to lead Australia in rugby test vs United States Updated: Sep-03-15 12:55 am
SYDNEY - James Slipper will fill in as captain for Stephen Moore in Australia's rugby union test against the United States in Chicago this weekend, becoming the first prop to lead the Wallabies in almost four decades.
- Correction: Australia-Obit-Great Escape story Updated: Sep-02-15 4:52 am
CANBERRA, Australia - In a story Aug. 28 about a World War II Australian pilot who took part in a mass escape from a German prison camp, The Associated Press reported erroneously that one of the three prisoners who successfully made it home was Danish. He was, in fact, Dutch.
- China slowdown weighs on Australian growth in second quarter Updated: Sep-02-15 1:49 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's economy grew a slower-than-expected 0.2 percent in the three months through June, dragged down by waning Chinese demand for resources including iron ore and coal, government figures showed Wednesday.
- Australia coach worried over pay dispute ahead of qualifier Updated: Sep-01-15 5:29 am
PERTH, Australia - Coach Ange Postecoglou is concerned that a bitter pay dispute between players and Football Federation Australia has impinged on Australia's preparation for Thursday's World Cup qualifying match against Bangladesh.
- Denmark's Thomas Sorensen joins Melbourne City Updated: Aug-31-15 12:35 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Former Aston Villa and Denmark goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen has signed a two-year deal to play for Melbourne City in Australian football's A-League.
- 12-time Melbourne Cup-winning trainer Bart Cummings dies Updated: Aug-30-15 10:54 am
SYDNEY - Bart Cummings, one of Australia's most successful racehorse trainers who won the Melbourne Cup a record 12 times, has died at the age of 87.
- The Latest: Canada asks for release of Al-Jazeera defendant Updated: Aug-29-15 7:47 am
CAIRO - Here are the latest developments in Egypt's retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists (all times local):
- Ronda Rousey's next fight moved up to Nov. 15 in Australia Updated: Aug-29-15 3:29 am
LOS ANGELES - Ronda Rousey's next UFC fight against Holly Holm has been moved up to Nov. 15 in Melbourne, Australia.
- Australian Olympic Committee extends ban on sleeping drugs Updated: Aug-28-15 2:25 am
SYDNEY - Australia Olympians for next year's Rio Games will be banned from taking sleeping drugs from the time they're selected for the national team.
- FFA gives Brisbane Roar's Indonesia owners final warning Updated: Aug-28-15 2:06 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Football Federation Australia has told the Indonesian owners of Brisbane Roar that they will lose control of the A-League club if its financial problems are not addressed immediately.
- Jedinak among 3 players ruled out of Socceroos match Updated: Aug-27-15 11:26 pm
SYDNEY - Mile Jedinak, Tomi Juric and Robbie Kruse have been ruled out of the Australia's 2018 World Cup qualifying match against Bangladesh and will be replaced by Italian-based attacker Chris Ikonomidis, striker Ben Halloran and midfielder Luke Brattan.
- Alleged Syrian war recruiter loses Sydney court challenge Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 am
SYDNEY - A Sydney man accused of recruiting foreign fighters to battle the Syrian regime lost a court challenge on Thursday to the Australian law that he was charged with breaking.
- Search for MH370 may ramp up soon with new sonar equipment Updated: Aug-26-15 7:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The deep sea hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner will likely include cutting-edge sonar equipment when it ramps up again in October after the stormy southern hemisphere winter has passed, the Australian search leader said Wednesday.