- Colombian rebels free Spanish journalist, 2 others Updated: May-27-16 10:29 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Leftist rebels have freed a Spanish correspondent and two other journalists who went missing in a lawless region of Colombia, ending a weeklong saga that recalled some of the darkest days of a long-running conflict the South American nation is trying to move beyond.
- Brazil police identify 4 of 30-plus men wanted in gang rape Updated: May-27-16 8:00 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Police said Friday that they have identified and are searching for four of the more than 30 men suspected in the gang rape of a 16-year-old girl, a case that has rocked Latin America's largest nation and highlighted its endemic problem of violence against women.
- Argentine court sentences ex-dictator for Operation Condor Updated: May-27-16 7:45 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's last dictator and 14 other former military officials were sentenced Friday to prison for human rights crimes committed during the Operation Condor conspiracy to hunt down dissidents across South America and beyond.
- Carlos Vives feels like a kid riding a bike with Shakira Updated: May-27-16 7:04 pm
NEW YORK - Carlos Vives hopes the video for "La bicicleta (The bicycle)" that he and Shakira shot recently in Colombia will reflect how much fun the pair had filming it.
- Venezuelan boy's death sparks anger over health care crisis Updated: May-27-16 6:36 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelans are expressing dismay over the death of an 8-year-old boy with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma who had become a symbol of the crisis-wracked nation's collapsed health care system.
- Brazil's Dunga names Kaka to replace injured Douglas Costa Updated: May-27-16 4:36 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil coach Dunga has called up Orlando City midfielder Kaka to replace Bayern Munich's Douglas Costa, who is out of the Copa America Centenario with an injured left thigh.
- Chaves takes Giro lead as Kruijswijk crashes into snowbank Updated: May-27-16 12:27 pm
RISOUL, France - Steven Kruijswijk crashed into a snowbank on a dangerous descent and Colombian rider Esteban Chaves surprisingly took the overall lead in the Giro d'Italia following a wild 19th stage Friday.
- Croatia gets 2-match World Cup stadium ban for fascist chant Updated: May-27-16 11:38 am
ZURICH - Croatia has been ordered to play two World Cup qualifying matches in empty stadiums for repeated cases of fans chanting fascist slogans.
- EU committing $645 million to Colombia's peacebuilding Updated: May-27-16 7:49 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union has committed to provide Colombia with a package of 575 million euros ($645 million) to help the nation recover from a half century of civil war.
- Final vote on impeachment could come 3 days before Olympics Updated: May-27-16 12:55 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Rio de Janeiro Olympics have been upstaged by the impeachment of President Dilma Rousseff. And it could get worse.
- Chile police say 2 churches burned in Mapuche conflict zone Updated: May-26-16 7:06 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Two Roman Catholic churches were burned in a southern region that the Mapuche indigenous group claims as its ancestral territory, police said Thursday.
- Some allies of Bolivia's leader cool to him seeking new term Updated: May-26-16 5:41 pm
LA PAZ, Bolivia - President Evo Morales is finding that some of his biggest allies are cool to the idea of letting him try again to amend Bolivia's constitution so he could run for re-election.
- Tens of thousands take part in Brazil's March for Jesus Updated: May-26-16 2:23 pm
SAO PAULO - Tens of thousands of evangelical Christians are taking part in Brazil's "March for Jesus," an annual event that unites faithful from hundreds of Protestant churches in a country that is largely Roman Catholic.
- New Taiwan president to visit allies Panama, Paraguay Updated: May-26-16 1:00 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan says President Tsai Ing-wen will visit allies Panama and Paraguay next month on her first overseas trip since taking office, amid speculation over possible moves by China to tighten its diplomatic noose around the self-governing island.
- Nagbe's 90th-minute goal lifts US over Ecuador 1-0 Updated: May-26-16 12:01 am
FRISCO, Texas - Darlington Nagbe's first international goal was a lift for the United States in its next-to-last tuneup before hosting next month's Copa America.
- Man convicted of trying to sell weapons to Colombia rebels Updated: May-25-16 9:32 pm
NEW YORK - A Romanian citizen has been convicted in New York of conspiring to sell military-grade weapons in Europe to informants who said they wanted to shoot down American helicopters in Colombia.
- Recordings put pressure on allies of Brazil's acting leader Updated: May-25-16 7:28 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Secretly recorded conversations hit two more key allies of Brazil's acting president Wednesday, leaving the country wondering if there are more taps that could affect the interim government after only 13 days in office.
- UCI president expresses concern over Rio venue preparations Updated: May-25-16 6:30 pm
The president of cycling's world governing body remains "very, very concerned" that the velodrome under construction for the Rio Olympics will not be completed in time for a proper test event.
- Venezuela breaks up drug ring, seized 3.4 tons of cocaine Updated: May-25-16 5:41 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Authorities in Venezuela say they dismantled a drug-trafficking ring with links to a Mexican cartel after seizing more than 3.4 metric tons of cocaine.
- Researchers slowly homing in on risk of Zika birth defect Updated: May-25-16 5:15 pm
NEW YORK - As the international epidemic of Zika virus disease has unfolded and led to devastating birth defects for at least 1,300 children in eight countries, an agonizing question has persisted: What is the chance that an infected pregnant woman will have a baby with these defects?
- 2 more journalists go missing in lawless area of Colombia Updated: May-24-16 9:27 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Two more journalists were reported missing Tuesday in a lawless region where Colombian security forces were already carrying out an extensive search for a prominent Spanish journalist who disappeared over the weekend.
- Belt-tightening in Brazil aimed at fighting economic crisis Updated: May-24-16 7:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's acting president announced austerity measures Tuesday aimed at pulling Latin America's largest economy from its worst crisis in decades, warning that a failure to act will mean "extraordinary hardship" for future generations.
- Medals or mosquitoes? Zika still talk of Olympic golf Updated: May-24-16 6:09 pm
Olympic qualifying for golf ends in seven weeks, at which time players will have to determine if medals outweigh mosquitoes.
- Wax figure of Neymar unveiled by Madame Tussauds Updated: May-24-16 4:42 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Neymar couldn't help but laugh in amusement after taking a long look at the newly unveiled wax figure of himself.
- Sailors' nightmare in Rio Olympics: plastic bags, trash Updated: May-24-16 4:17 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - If you're the head of world sailing, this is your worst Olympic nightmare.