- The Latest: Paraguay president CONMEBOL immunity lifted Updated: Jun-03-15 1:08 pm
1700 GMT (1:00 p.m. EDT)
- Portugal into Under-20 World Cup playoffs Updated: Jun-03-15 5:18 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Portugal swept imperiously into the knockout rounds of the Under-20 World Cup with a 4-0 win over Qatar on Wednesday, while Mexico revived its campaign after a woeful opening match by defeating Uruguay 2-1.
- Brazil great Zico considering running for FIFA president Updated: Jun-02-15 10:33 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilian soccer great Zico is considering running for the FIFA presidency, soon to be vacant after the announcement by Sepp Blatter earlier Tuesday that he will step down later this year amid a corruption scandal.
- Colombia struggles to restore power to port hit by rebels Updated: Jun-02-15 7:35 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Authorities struggled on Tuesday to restore power to a major Colombian port city more than 48 hours after a rebel attack on a transmission line plunged Buenaventura's 400,000 into the dark.
- Brazilian club Cruzeiro hires coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo Updated: Jun-02-15 6:51 pm
SAO PAULO - Cruzeiro has hired Vanderlei Luxemburgo to replace Marcelo Oliveira, the coach who led the team to the Brazilian league titles for the last two seasons.
- Paddington-like bear too frail for rescue flight to Colorado Updated: Jun-02-15 6:15 pm
KEENESBURG, Colorado - An elderly former circus bear is too frail to join a flight bringing 33 lions from South America to a Colorado refuge and instead will live out her days in a specially constructed habitat in her native Peru.
- NFL looking for more international games in Mexico, Germany Updated: Jun-02-15 5:05 pm
NEW YORK - Commissioner Roger Goodell casually mentioned last month the NFL's interest in adding more international games. He mentioned potential contests in Germany, Mexico and Brazil.
- FIFA says Valcke not behind $10M payment in corruption probe Updated: Jun-02-15 2:02 pm
GENEVA - Amid a deepening corruption crisis within soccer's governing body that has led to Sepp Blatter's decision to resign, FIFA earlier defended its second-in-command on Tuesday by trying to distance him from claims he helped authorize $10 million in bribes for World Cup bidding votes.
- Son of former Argentine president detained for weapons Updated: Jun-02-15 1:19 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The son of former Argentine President Carlos Menem has been detained for cocaine and arms possession.
- Injured Luiz Gustavo cut from Brazil's Copa America squad Updated: Jun-02-15 11:17 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian football confederation says defensive midfielder Luiz Gustavo will not play in the Copa America because of a knee injury.
- Former Brazil soccer president Teixeira facing investigation Updated: Jun-02-15 9:27 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian federal police requested that prosecutors charge the former president of the country's soccer confederation with corruption crimes related to $147 million in "atypical" bank transfers as he led preparations for the 2014 World Cup.
- Argentine government rejects negotiations with holdout funds Updated: Jun-01-15 10:13 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's government is again rejecting negotiations with a group of hedge funds that hold some of the government's bonds, arguing that the U.S.-led group has created a tense environment by harassing the South American nation.
- Seattle Sounders sign Brazilian midfielder Thomas Updated: Jun-01-15 9:47 pm
SEATTLE - The Seattle Sounders have signed Brazilian midfielder Thomas Jaguaribe Bedinelli, who will be eligible to play immediately.
- South American official says 2016 Copa America in 'question' Updated: Jun-01-15 9:09 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - South American soccer's second most powerful official says the bribery scandal surrounding FIFA puts in "question" next year's Centennial Copa America tournament scheduled to be played in the United States,
- Former head of South American soccer under house arrest Updated: Jun-01-15 7:59 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - A judge in Paraguay on Monday ordered house arrest for the former president of the South American Football Confederation amid a far-reaching corruption scandal at FIFA that has tarnished the image of world soccer's governing body.
- Argentine police didn't use gloves in dead prosecutor's home Updated: Jun-01-15 6:16 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - The lead investigator in the mysterious death of a prosecutor who had accused Argentina's president of wrongdoing came under sharp criticism Monday for a video showing police working without latex gloves where Alberto Nisman's body was found.
- Brazil students make art out of trash plucked off Rio shore Updated: Jun-01-15 5:52 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Forget pricey imported oil paints and exorbitant blocks of marble. Art students at a Brazilian university have taken advantage of one material they have in endless and free supply - trash - to create an exhibition that aims to draw attention to the fetid state of Rio de Janeiro's Guanabara Bay, where Olympic sailing events are to be held next year.
- Retired Colombian general on trial in murder of politician Updated: Jun-01-15 4:36 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's Supreme Court began hearing arguments Monday in the trial of a retired army general accused of taking part in the 1989 assassination of a top presidential contender.
- Argentine judge who reduced child abuser sentence resigns Updated: Jun-01-15 4:28 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A judge in Argentina has resigned amid sharp criticism for reducing the sentence of a convicted child abuser because the 6-year-old victim supposedly showed signs of being gay.
- Ex-Los Alamos scientist in nuke spy sting loses appeal Updated: Jun-01-15 4:12 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A former Los Alamos National Laboratory scientist convicted of offering to help develop nuclear weapons for Venezuela cannot appeal his five-year sentence because he gave up that right, a federal court said.
- Brazil beats Nigeria, Germany routs Fiji at U20 World Cup Updated: Jun-01-15 2:48 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Striker Judivan scored twice as Brazil beat Nigeria 4-2 on Monday in a thrilling start to its FIFA Under-20 World Cup campaign.
- Palmeiras beats Corinthians 2-0 for 1st Brazilian league win Updated: May-31-15 8:03 pm
SAO PAULO - Veteran playmaker Ze Roberto scored in first-half injury time to help Palmeiras defeat rival Corinthians 2-0 on Sunday for its first win in this year's Brazilian league.
- Pele's son fired by Rivaldo's team in Brazil's 2nd division Updated: May-31-15 6:40 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian club that has former Brazil and Barcelona star Rivaldo as its president says it has fired Pele's son Edinho.
- Argentina's tax men want US data in FIFA scandal Updated: May-31-15 2:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina tax officials say they're seeking U.S. information about alleged corruption involving FIFA.
- Injured Marcelo dropped from Brazil's Copa America squad Updated: May-30-15 10:56 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian football confederation says left back Marcelo has been dropped from Brazil's Copa America squad because of an injury.