- Argentina beats Canada in the men's Olympic qualifiers Updated: Sep-01-15 11:59 pm
MEXICO CITY - Luis Scola had 35 points and 13 rebounds, and Argentina beat Canada 94-87 on Tuesday in the men's Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Pope: Priests in Holy Year can absolve 'sin of abortion' Updated: Sep-01-15 8:58 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is applying his vision of a merciful church to women who have had abortions, easing their path toward forgiveness and saying he realizes some felt they had no choice but to make "this agonizing and painful decision."
- Boavista introduces Rivaldo's son as its newest player Updated: Sep-01-15 7:42 pm
LISBON, Portugal - First-division Portuguese club Boavista has introduced Rivaldo's son as its newest signing on Tuesday.
- Rio head vows to introduce viral testing in Olympic waters Updated: Sep-01-15 6:33 pm
LONDON - Olympic organizers promised Tuesday to introduce viral testing in the polluted waters in Rio de Janeiro where about 1,400 athletes will compete in next year's games.
- Charges sought against Brazil's former chief-of-staff Updated: Sep-01-15 6:13 pm
SAO PAULO - Police on Tuesday asked prosecutors to file charges against Brazil's former presidential chief of staff, Jose Dirceu, for alleged involvement in the massive corruption scheme at state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Uruguay set to rescind rights deal over bribery probe Updated: Sep-01-15 4:51 pm
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - The Uruguay football association said Tuesday it was preparing to rescind a television contract for the national team's 2018 World Cup qualifying matches, as the rights company involved has been targeted by a U.S. investigation into corruption in world football.
- Sweden optimistic over questioning Assange in London Updated: Sep-01-15 12:34 pm
HELSINKI - Swedish officials said Tuesday they are optimistic about reaching a general agreement on legal assistance with Ecuador which could pave the way to questioning WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in London on outstanding accusations against him.
- Film based on real-life horror breaks records in Argentina Updated: Sep-01-15 12:04 am
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Arquimides Puccio seemed to neighbors like a pious, conservative and obsessively tidy man. Several times a day, he'd sweep the sidewalk in front of his home in an upper-class Buenos Aires neighborhood.
- Venezuelan leader says Colombia plotting his assassination Updated: Aug-31-15 7:44 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Monday accused Colombia's government of giving its consent to a plan to assassinate him as both countries try to rally regional support in a border dispute exacerbating tensions between the two neighbors.
- Argentine presidential candidate would try to ease divisions Updated: Aug-31-15 7:02 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's leading presidential candidate dismisses claims that he won't remain independent from outgoing President Cristina Fernandez and says he would seek to bridge divisions in this politically polarized South American country.
- Dozens of Venezuelans shot by police amid crime crackdown Updated: Aug-31-15 4:19 pm
MARACAY, Venezuela - Workers in the industrial complex had been hiding in bathrooms and closets for hours when the shooting stopped. The last of the four suspected thieves, a slightly built man in yellow rain boots, surrendered on the roof, crying out, "Jesus saves!"
- US goalie Brad Guzan: 'Nothing changes' with Howard's return Updated: Aug-31-15 4:12 pm
WASHINGTON - With their roles reversed, No. 1 goalkeeper Brad Guzan of the United States insists "nothing changes" in his relationship with World Cup standout Tim Howard.
- Report: Colombia collecting bulk data without warrants Updated: Aug-31-15 4:08 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Intelligence agencies in Colombia have been building robust tools to automatically collect vast amounts of data without judicial warrants and in defiance of a pledge to better protect privacy following a series of domestic spying scandals, according to a new report by Privacy International.
- Nigeria wins African basketball title, gets Olympic spot Updated: Aug-30-15 8:54 pm
RADES, Tunisia - Nigeria won its first African basketball championship and earned a spot in the 2016 Olympics.
- Northern Indiana man hooks fish native to South America Updated: Aug-30-15 5:28 pm
PERU, Indiana - A fish native to South America being caught in Peru isn't unusual - unless it happens in Peru, Indiana.
- Usain Bolt points to Rio with more gold in his hands Updated: Aug-30-15 5:05 pm
BEIJING - Hard as this is to believe, there were questions about Usain Bolt when the world championships first started.
- Pope Francis a stranger to the US in many ways Updated: Aug-30-15 2:35 pm
NEW YORK - When Pope Francis sets foot on the tarmac at Andrews Air Force Base near Washington on Sept. 22, it won't just be his first time in the United States as pontiff. It will be his first time in the country - ever in his life.
- A 200-400 sprint double at Olympics could be waiting Felix Updated: Aug-30-15 11:35 am
BEIJING - If Allyson Felix feels tired now, just wait until next year.
- Brazil defeats US men 3-1 in the USA Volleyball Cup Updated: Aug-30-15 1:25 am
IRVINE, California - Ricardo Lucarelli's ace for match point gave top-ranked Brazil a 3-1 victory over the United States on Saturday night in the final match of the USA Volleyball Cup.
- Residents take canoes as Venezuela expands border closure Updated: Aug-29-15 8:47 pm
BOCA DEL GRITA, Venezuela - Venezuelans took to dugout canoes to shop in Colombia on Saturday as a government crackdown on smuggling and migrants cut off access to at least six border crossings key to the life of communities on both sides.
- Eugene's 'Birdman' nearing record for bird species seen Updated: Aug-29-15 6:14 am
EUGENE, Oregon - Ever since avid birdwatcher Noah Strycker read the Guinness World Records book long ago, he knew he wanted to set a world record.
- Brazil recession: GDP plunges 1.9 percent in second quarter Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The bottom seems to have fallen out of Brazil's economy, with the government reporting Friday that the gross domestic product plunged 1.9 percent in the second quarter alone, once again throwing the nation into a technical recession.
- Venezuela extends border closure despite Colombia's protests Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro on Friday broadened a crackdown on Colombian migrants and border smugglers that has drawn strong rebuke by Colombian leaders and international organizations.
- Money laundering probe in case of Argentine prosecutor Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An Argentine judge on Friday authorized a money laundering probe involving the prosecutor who died mysteriously while investigating the bombing of a Jewish center.
- Judge releases Argentine businessmen held in FIFA scandal Updated: Aug-28-15 5:30 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Two Argentine businessmen who were arrested in connection with the FIFA corruption scandal have been released from prison until an ongoing extradition proceeding to the United States is resolved.