- New Taiwan president to visit allies Panama, Paraguay Updated: May-26-16 1:00 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan says President Tsai Ing-wen will visit allies Panama and Paraguay next month on her first overseas trip since taking office, amid speculation over possible moves by China to tighten its diplomatic noose around the self-governing island.
- Man sentenced for killing, dismembering girlfriend in Panama Updated: May-25-16 8:19 pm
SAN DIEGO - A California man was sentenced to 26 years in prison Wednesday for killing his girlfriend in Panama, dismembering her body with a machete and disposing of her remains in the jungle.
- Lawyer for Mexico drug lord demands payment from US networks Updated: May-25-16 5:03 pm
MEXICO CITY - A lawyer for Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman said Wednesday that he will sue television networks if they air a new series on the imprisoned Mexican drug lord's life without paying him.
- Mexico City issues 6th smog alert but lifts it after rain Updated: May-24-16 10:22 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico City officials issued their sixth pollution alert of the year Tuesday, but lifted it a few hours later after thunderstorms reduced pollution in the skies above the capital.
- Police find 5 hacked-up bodies in Mexican Gulf coast state Updated: May-24-16 5:02 pm
MEXICO CITY - Authorities in the Gulf coast state of Veracruz found the hacked-up bodies of what appear to be five men along with a sign attributing the killings to a dispute between drug cartels, prosecutors said Tuesday.
- EU, Panama to discuss offshore accounts Updated: May-24-16 8:57 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union will have talks with Panamanian authorities on Wednesday in the wake of the offshore accounts scandal centering on people and multinationals stashing funds and avoid paying taxes, something which costs the EU billions a year.
- Defendant pleads guilty in stock, money-laundering scheme Updated: May-24-16 7:37 am
NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors in New York say a Belize resident has pleaded guilty to money laundering conspiracy for helping clients profit off illegal stock trades and then laundering more than $250 million.
- Mexican journalist Lopez-Doriga to step down from newscast Updated: May-23-16 11:52 pm
MEXICO CITY - One of Mexico's best-known journalists says he will step down from his nightly newscast on the Televisa network in August.
- Mexican authorities exhume bodies from unmarked common grave Updated: May-23-16 6:55 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican officials on Monday began exhuming the remains of more than 100 unidentified people buried by authorities in a common grave in the central state of Morelos, state prosecutors said.
- Any Cabrera, veteran AP LatAm editor, reporter, dies at 60 Updated: May-23-16 5:42 pm
MEXICO CITY - Any Cabrera, a veteran AP journalist who covered many of Latin America's biggest stories during 33 years as a reporter and editor, died suddenly Monday morning at her home in Mexico City.
- Arriola has goal, assist in US debut, 3-1 win at Puerto Rico Updated: May-22-16 9:54 pm
BAYAMON, Puerto Rico - Paul Arriola not only was able to make his national team debut for the United States on Sunday, he became the first player since Landon Donovan in 2000 to score a goal and have an assist in his initial appearance.
- 6 dead in pair of nightclub shootings on Mexico's Gulf coast Updated: May-22-16 7:09 pm
VERACRUZ, Mexico - A total of six men were killed early Sunday in shootings at two nightclubs in the Gulf coast state of Veracruz, authorities said.
- Police, soldiers swarm Mexico's Acapulco, killings continue Updated: May-22-16 3:23 pm
ACAPULCO, Mexico - Along with beach towels or sandals, there's a new popular beach accessory that says a lot about the violence gripping this once-glamorous resort: a small black leather tote hanging from the neck or shoulders of some men. It's not a man-bag, exactly; it holds a small pistol.
- Mexico lowers 2016 GDP forecast, sees 2.2 to 3.2 pct growth Updated: May-20-16 7:18 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico is lowering its economic growth forecast for 2016, citing what it calls "adverse" international conditions including sluggish industrial production in the United States.
- Costa Rican president: Sovereign borders turn complex Updated: May-20-16 5:07 pm
MANHATTAN, Kansas - Massive migrations due to terrorism and organized crime are making national security and border control for countries complex, the president of Central America's Costa Rica said during a speech at Kansas State University.
- Frozen food recall covers hundreds of items from many stores Updated: May-20-16 11:00 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Amid a massive frozen foods recall involving millions of packages of fruits and vegetables that were shipped to all 50 U.S. states, Canada and Mexico, authorities who want to stem the listeria-linked illnesses and deaths worry it'll be difficult to get consumers to dig through their freezers and check for products they may have bought as far back as 2014.
- FBI adds LA and Chicago area suspects to 10 Most Wanted list Updated: May-19-16 7:34 pm
CHICAGO - The FBI added two men to its 10 Most Wanted Fugitives list Thursday: A Chicago-area man suspected in a teenager's 2009 killing and a Los Angeles man accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend last month.
- Trump's investments include companies he bashed Updated: May-19-16 3:21 am
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump has invested in some of the companies that he uses as punching bags on the campaign trail, according to new financial documents he submitted to the U.S. government.
- Feds give scathing review of California border town's police Updated: May-19-16 2:02 am
SAN DIEGO - The U.S. Justice Department issued a scathing review Wednesday of a small town's police practices in a big drug and immigrant smuggling corridor on California's border with Mexico, finding a lack of basic controls and oversight of criminal investigations, unstable leadership and other red flags.
- Longtime Mexican politician Luis H. Alvarez dies at 96 Updated: May-18-16 10:29 pm
MEXICO CITY - Luis H. Alvarez, a former presidential candidate and longtime prominent figure in the conservative National Action Party who spent decades pushing for democratic reform in Mexico, died Wednesday. He was 96.
- Swiss send last of FIFA suspects to US in bribery case Updated: May-18-16 7:11 pm
NEW YORK - The longtime former head of the Nicaraguan soccer federation who most recently was employed by FIFA pleaded not guilty to racketeering charges Wednesday after he became the last of seven men extradited after their arrests in Zurich last year.
- Federal panel: Pacific trade pact would deliver modest gains Updated: May-18-16 6:58 pm
WASHINGTON - A contentious trade deal between the United States and 11 Pacific Rim nations would give the U.S. economy a modest boost, an independent federal agency reported Wednesday.
- Trump says his business flourishing since presidential run Updated: May-18-16 5:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump has told the government that his myriad businesses have flourished with rising revenues since his improbable political success, according to financial documents released Wednesday.
- Mexico nabs 2 Americans in cross-border kidnapping Updated: May-18-16 3:42 pm
MEXICO CITY - Police in the northern Mexico border state of Tamaulipas say officers have detained two Texas men and freed another American they'd kidnapped in the United States.
- Space shuttle external tank to be displayed in Los Angeles Updated: May-18-16 3:08 pm
LOS ANGELES - NASA has shipped its last space shuttle external propellant tank to California to join the retired orbiter Endeavour on display in Los Angeles. The plan is to mount the winged spaceship vertically on the massive tank as if ready for launch, complete with a real pair of solid rocket boosters.