- Altidore scores twice as US rallies to beat Peru 2-1 Updated: Sep-04-15 10:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Jozy Altidore scored a pair of second-half goals in his return to the U.S. national team following an injury filled summer, and the Americans rallied to beat Peru 2-1 in an exhibition Friday night.
- Canada win its third straight in Olympic qualifier Updated: Sep-04-15 10:08 pm
MEXICO CITY - Minnesota Timberwolves forward Andrew Wiggins scored 19 points to help Canada beat Puerto Rico 112-92 on Friday night for its third straight victory in the Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Guatemala ex-president tells court he's innocent of graft Updated: Sep-04-15 7:49 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Otto Perez Molina sat in a defendant's chair Friday and declared his innocence in a customs corruption scandal that forced him to resign a day earlier as president of this Central American nation.
- US deports Salvadoran man wanted in prosecutor's slaying Updated: Sep-04-15 7:01 pm
LOS ANGELES - U.S. immigration authorities on Friday deported a Salvadoran gang member wanted in his country in the slaying of a government prosecutor, officials said.
- Man found guilty of kidnapping girl from LA home, raping her Updated: Sep-04-15 3:39 pm
LOS ANGELES - A California man was found guilty Friday of kidnapping a 10-year-old girl from her Los Angeles bedroom at knifepoint and repeatedly raping her before letting her go and fleeing to Mexico.
- Officials wrench control of schools from Mexico unions Updated: Sep-04-15 12:10 am
OAXACA, Mexico - It looked like a normal first day of school at Patria Libre elementary. Uniformed kids sporting brand-new backpacks with their favorite cartoon characters - Dora the Explorer, Hello Kitty, the "Frozen" heroines - reunited with classmates and sang the national anthem.
- The Latest: Guatemala ex-leader escorted to jail Updated: Sep-03-15 7:54 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - The latest on the resignation of Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina (all times local):
- Guatemala's new president is conservative former top judge Updated: Sep-03-15 7:31 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemala's new president had only just occupied the vice president's chair when he was promoted to the country's top spot following the resignation of outgoing President Otto Perez Molina amid a corruption scandal.
- Court: Transgender asylum seekers can't be equated with gays Updated: Sep-03-15 6:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Transgender people can be especially vulnerable to harassment and attacks and shouldn't be equated with gays and lesbians by U.S. immigration officials determining whether to grant asylum, a federal appeals court said Thursday.
- Q&A: What to look for with Guatemala's embattled president Updated: Sep-03-15 4:59 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - President Otto Perez Molina has resigned amid a corruption scandal after a judge issued an order to detain him in the case.
- Tropical Storm Fred is weakening in the Atlantic Updated: Sep-03-15 11:13 am
MIAMI - Tropical Storm Fred is weakening far out over the Atlantic.
- Mexico's president acknowledges distrust, fear Updated: Sep-02-15 6:44 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto acknowledged Wednesday that the country's crime, corruption and economic troubles have caused distrust and anger among Mexicans.
- El Salvador sets new murder milestone with deadly August Updated: Sep-02-15 5:16 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - El Salvador has hit yet another grisly milestone: A record murder rate in August.
- Mexican president's state-of-the-nation beset by doubts Updated: Sep-01-15 9:22 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto sent his written state-of-the-nation report to Congress on Tuesday in an atmosphere of rising violence, a falling currency and a slowing economy.
- Immigrants sue 2 Mississippi companies over work issues Updated: Sep-01-15 6:17 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Six immigrants are suing two Mississippi companies, saying the firms misled them about wages they would be paid to work in landscaping jobs under contracts with the state Department of Transportation.
- Mayors to talk government and families ahead of papal visit Updated: Sep-01-15 2:58 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The mayors of Rome, New Orleans and Puebla, Mexico are headed to Philadelphia for an event tied to Pope Francis' visit that'll focus on the role of local governments in strengthening and sustaining families.
- Man extradited from Mexico to be arraigned for Bellevue rape Updated: Aug-31-15 8:28 pm
BELLEVUE, Washington - Bellevue police say a 32-year-old man who fled to Mexico to avoid facing child rape charges has been extradited from Mexico. Victor Cerda is to be arraigned Tuesday in King County Superior Court.
- Texas beats Mexico 6-4 in Little League consolation game Updated: Aug-30-15 1:17 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Issac Garcia hit a three-run homer in the sixth inning to help Pearland, Texas, beat Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, 6-4 in Sunday's consolation game of the Little League World Series.
- Japan beats Mexico 1-0 at Little League World Series Updated: Aug-29-15 4:35 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Yugo Aoki singled for Tokyo's first hit in the seventh inning, and then scored on a fielder's choice to help Japan beat Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, 1-0 on Saturday for a spot in the championship game of the Little League World Series.
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency Updated: Aug-29-15 2:08 pm
ATLANTA - To Azaratu Zakaria, Jimmy Carter's battle against the Guinea worm is represented by a scar.
- Mexico adoption-for-cash scheme took babies from mothers Updated: Aug-28-15 5:09 pm
MEXICO CITY - A child welfare official in northern Mexico took at least nine babies from poor or drug-addicted mothers and offered them to adoptive parents in exchange for payments ranging from $5,000 to $9,000, authorities said Friday.
- Truckee Meadows Community College president Sheehan retiring Updated: Aug-28-15 3:12 pm
RENO, Nevada - Truckee Meadows Community College President Maria Sheehan says she will retire in January to do volunteer work in Central America.
- Cousin of drug kingpin sentenced to 16 years in prison Updated: Aug-28-15 1:22 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A cousin of one of the world's most notorious drug lords who prosecutors say was working to distribute cocaine in the United States has been sentenced in a New Hampshire court to 16 years in federal prison.
- Mexican ambassador-designate downplays Donald Trump comments Updated: Aug-28-15 1:12 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's ambassador-designate to Washington sought to downplay Donald Trump's comments on Mexico, telling a Senate confirmation hearing on Friday that Trump is simply playing politics.
- Suspect in 2005 Navajo County cold case died in Mexico Updated: Aug-27-15 6:44 pm
HOLBROOK, Arizona - Navajo County Sheriff's officials say a 10-year-old Arizona homicide case appears to be closed with the reported death of the only known suspect.