- 2 killed, 8 injured in fire on Mexico offshore oil platform Updated: Feb-07-16 8:54 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's state oil company says a fire that erupted on an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico killed two workers and injured eight.
- Report: Ford to build auto plant in Mexico Updated: Feb-07-16 6:26 pm
NEW YORK - Published reports are saying that Ford plans to build a new auto plant in Mexico, with plans to rev up production there.
- Pope Francis visit to celebrate Mexico's indigenous church Updated: Feb-07-16 1:53 pm
SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS, Mexico - Pope Francis' visit to the heavily indigenous Mexican state of Chiapas appears aimed at celebrating the region's "Indian church," a mix of Catholicism and indigenous culture once considered a thorn in the side of standard liturgy by the Vatican.
- Local researcher continues grandfather's work on Zika virus Updated: Feb-07-16 9:00 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - As the Zika virus rages through South and Central America, probably causing women to give birth to babies with abnormally small heads, few people understand that the virus has its origins in Africa. And even fewer realize that the man who originally discovered the virus 70 years ago, Alexander John Haddow, has a Frederick and a Fort Detrick connection.
- El Salvador arrests 4 ex-soldiers in massacre of Jesuits Updated: Feb-06-16 11:26 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - Salvadoran police have arrested four former soldiers wanted in Spain for the 1989 murder of six Jesuit priests during the Central American country's brutal civil war, officials said Saturday. Five of the priests were Spanish and their killings sparked international outrage.
- Raiders owner Mark Davis intrigued by Las Vegas as NFL city Updated: Feb-05-16 6:41 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Owner Mark Davis has a sly response when it comes to his interest in moving the Oakland Raiders to Sin City.
- AP News Guide: A look at the 'affluenza' teen case Updated: Feb-05-16 6:16 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - A Texas teenager who used an "affluenza" defense in a fatal drunken-driving wreck was moved to an adult jail on Friday to await a hearing over whether to transfer his case to the adult system.
- Texas authorities move 'affluenza' teen to adult jail Updated: Feb-05-16 6:04 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - The Texas teenager who used an "affluenza" defense in a fatal drunken-driving wreck was transferred to an adult jail on Friday, a week after a judge initially refused to do so.
- Goodell proposes what might be called Odell Beckham Jr. Rule Updated: Feb-05-16 5:33 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Call it the Odell Beckham Jr. Rule.
- Hola: Texans-Raiders in Mexico City on Nov. 21 Updated: Feb-05-16 5:26 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Hola. The NFL is heading back to Mexico.
- 2nd group of Cuban migrants stuck in Costa Rica flown out Updated: Feb-05-16 4:56 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A second group of Cuban migrants was traveling through Central America toward the United States on Friday after being stranded in Costa Rica for months when Nicaragua closed its border to them.
- Judge: Ex-Salvadoran colonel can face charges in Spain Updated: Feb-05-16 3:44 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A judge cleared the way Friday for a former Salvadoran colonel to face charges in Spain that he helped plan the 1989 slayings of six Jesuit priests during El Salvador's civil war - a notorious crime that prompted international outrage.
- Pope to OK use of indigenous languages for Mass in Mexico Updated: Feb-05-16 3:06 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis will issue a decree authorizing the use of indigenous languages in Mass celebrations when he travels to Mexico next week, one of the symbolic gestures he will make in defense of Indian rights in the country.
- Lawyer: Mexican actress willing to talk about drug capo Updated: Feb-04-16 10:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - An attorney for actress Kate del Castillo said Thursday she is willing to talk to Mexican authorities about her encounters with Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman and felt "betrayed" and "used" by actor Sean Penn, who wrote a lengthy article about his meeting with the drug kingpin after the actress introduced the two men.
- Once-stalled border bridge dedicated near El Paso Updated: Feb-04-16 8:09 pm
TORNILLO, Texas - An international bridge over the Rio Grande near El Paso opened for the first time Thursday after years of construction delays, giving officials hope it would be a boon for Texas-Mexico border commerce.
- AP Source: NFL planning game next season in Mexico Updated: Feb-04-16 5:18 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The NFL is planning to play a regular-season game in Mexico City this year, with the Raiders hosting the Texans.
- Mexican court rules against development in Cancun mangrove Updated: Feb-04-16 3:56 pm
MEXICO CITY - A Mexican court has issued an injunction blocking further work on a real estate project in the Caribbean coast resort of Cancun that activists say has almost killed a mangrove swamp at the site.
- Latin America scrambles to squash Zika-spreading mosquito Updated: Feb-04-16 12:42 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - With no hope for a vaccine to prevent Zika in the near future, authorities are focusing on the most effective way to combat the virus: killing the mosquito that carries it.
- Zika affects plans for destination weddings, babymoons Updated: Feb-03-16 3:26 pm
Some travelers are trading in Caribbean and Latin American vacations for ski trips and Hawaii as they rethink destination weddings, babymoons and other getaways in light of the Zika virus.
- 2 Mexican doctors accused in $5M claims fraud against Aflac Updated: Feb-03-16 12:31 pm
McALLEN, Texas - Two Mexican doctors are accused of submitting more than 50,000 bogus claims to a U.S. insurance company in a $5 million benefits scam.
- Editorials from around New York Updated: Feb-03-16 10:59 am
ALBANY, New York - Recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New York's newspapers:
- Ex-FIFA vice president released on bond in corruption case Updated: Feb-02-16 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - A former vice president for world soccer's governing body has been released from U.S. custody in New York and will be subject to house arrest as he awaits trial on bribery and other charges related to a sprawling corruption case.
- Yoko Ono brings 'Land of Hope' peace exhibit to Mexico Updated: Feb-02-16 5:24 pm
MEXICO CITY - Yoko Ono has brought an anti-violence message to Mexico City with the opening of a participative-performance exhibit dubbed "Tierra de Esperanza," or "Land of Hope."
- Mexico remittances nearly $24.8B in 2015, topping oil income Updated: Feb-02-16 3:52 pm
MEXICO CITY - The central bank reported Tuesday that money sent home by Mexicans overseas hit nearly $24.8 billion last year, overtaking oil revenues for the first time as a source of foreign income.
- Cheap oil buoys consumers, shakes up global governments Updated: Feb-02-16 12:02 pm
Cheap oil will be sticking around for a while.