- China shares slide as brokers investigated Updated: Nov-27-15 2:44 am
TOKYO - China's stock market fell sharply Friday as investigations into the securities industry widened to include two top brokerages.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Turkey-Russia spat over downed Russian warplane escalates Updated: Nov-26-15 4:15 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A tug-of-war over a Russian warplane downed by a Turkish fighter jet at the border with Syria escalated Thursday, with Moscow drafting a slew of economic sanctions against Turkey and the Turkish president defiantly declaring that his military will shoot down any new intruder.
- Sebastian Coe gives up role with Nike amid scrutiny Updated: Nov-26-15 3:51 pm
MONACO - Although new to his job, Sebastian Coe has already learned that some battles are simply not worth fighting when you're trying to lead a major sport out of crisis.
- The Latest: Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition Updated: Nov-26-15 3:21 pm
BEIRUT - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Russia bans weightlifters, cyclists and dancer for doping Updated: Nov-26-15 12:50 pm
MOSCOW - Two Russian weightlifters, two professional cyclists and a sport dancer have been banned for doping, the country's anti-doping agency said Thursday.
- Russia strikes back at Turkey with economic sanctions Updated: Nov-26-15 11:59 am
MOSCOW - Russia plans to retaliate against Turkey for the downing of a warplane by imposing sanctions, cutting economic ties and scrapping major investment projects.
- Stranded migrants in clashes at Greece-Macedonia border Updated: Nov-26-15 11:56 am
IDOMENI, Greece - Hundreds of migrants stranded at Greece's northern border clashed with police Thursday while trying to force their way into Macedonia.
- Ukraine president defends his country's pact with EU Updated: Nov-26-15 11:11 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Ukraine's president has strongly defended a pact his country signed with the European Union, calling it "the last farewell to the Soviet Union, the last farewell to Communism."
- The Latest: German official says some migrants IS radicals Updated: Nov-26-15 10:21 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- New Polish defense minister casts doubt on purchase plans Updated: Nov-26-15 9:27 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new defense minister says the country may back out of plans to purchase French military helicopters and a U.S. Patriot missile system.
- UEFA confirms steroid positive test in Dinamo Zagreb case Updated: Nov-26-15 8:43 am
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA has confirmed that Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Arijan Ademi was banned after testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol.
- Russian Biathlon Union accepts fine over 2014 doping cases Updated: Nov-26-15 8:13 am
SALZBURG, Austria - The Russian Biathlon Union is accepting a fine of 100,000 euros ($106,000) over three doping cases, including two that came ahead of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- Moldova: 13 detained on suspicion of plot to attack cities Updated: Nov-26-15 7:48 am
CHISINAU, Moldova - Moldovan police have detained a total of 13 suspected members of a paramilitary group allegedly planning to attack the capital and a northern city with a majority Russian population, with the aim of creating a new separatist republic similar to the one in eastern Ukraine.
- Asada, Hanyu aiming to shine on home ice at NHK Trophy Updated: Nov-26-15 7:46 am
NAGANO, Japan - For Mao Asada, the NHK Trophy presents a chance to add momentum to a comeback that began with a victory at the Cup of China this month.
- Polish experts analyzing data concerning alleged Nazi train Updated: Nov-26-15 7:33 am
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish mining academy says its experts are analyzing data gathered from a site allegedly hiding a Nazi train, which local lore says is laden with gold.
- Poland's ruling party blasted in conflict over top judges Updated: Nov-26-15 6:17 am
WARSAW, Poland - The political conflict surrounding Poland's top court has intensified after the new ruling party had the parliament void a recent appointment of judges.
- Russian agency: S-400 missiles already deployed in Syria Updated: Nov-26-15 5:41 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state-owned RIA Novosti news agency is reporting that Russia has already deployed long-range air defense missiles at its base in Syria.
- Russian helicopter crashes in Siberia, killing 10 Updated: Nov-26-15 3:13 am
MOSCOW - A Russian helicopter carrying oil workers has crashed in eastern Siberia, and officials say 10 of the 25 people on board were killed.
- Letter calls for candidates for next UN chief by spring Updated: Nov-25-15 7:43 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A draft letter from the presidents of the Security Council and the General Assembly calls for candidates to replace Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to declare their interest next spring and for the next U.N. chief to be selected by September or October in order to have sufficient time to prepare for the critically important job.
- Ibrahimovic scores on CL return to Malmo, Juve beats City Updated: Nov-25-15 6:36 pm
PARIS - Zlatan Ibrahimovic celebrated his return to his first senior club with a goal as Paris Saint-Germain advanced to the knockout phase of the Champions League on Wednesday while Juventus claimed top spot to qualify from Group D with a 1-0 win over Manchester City.
- Ronaldo stars as Real Madrid beats Shakhtar 4-3 Updated: Nov-25-15 5:21 pm
LVIV, Ukraine - Cristiano Ronaldo scored two goals and set up two more as Real Madrid weathered a late Shakhtar Donetsk revival to win 4-3 in the Champions League on Wednesday.
- Schuerrle steers Wolfsburg to 2-0 win over CSKA Moscow Updated: Nov-25-15 5:02 pm
KHIMKI, Russia - Andre Schuerrle scored one goal and made the other as Wolfsburg beat CSKA Moscow 2-0 on Wednesday in the Champions League.
- 6 Europa League clubs face UEFA sanctions for late payments Updated: Nov-25-15 4:33 pm
NYON, Switzerland - Europa League runner-up Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk is among six clubs facing UEFA sanctions for late payments under Financial Fair Play rules.
- Amid Syria's civil war, a James Bond-style rescue operation Updated: Nov-25-15 2:53 pm
BEIRUT - In the whirlwind of Syria's civil war, two Russian pilots parachuted from their aircraft into a chaotic front-line mountainous region near the border with Turkey after their aircraft was hit by a Turkish F-16 fighter jet.