- The Latest: Gatlin on Bolt: 'I hope he's tired, too' Updated: Aug-29-15 1:12 am
BEIJING - The Latest from the IAAF world championships (all times local):
- Petra Kvitova Lucie Safarova advance to New Haven final Updated: Aug-28-15 10:32 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Second-seeded Petra Kvitova beat third-seeded Caroline Wozniacki 7-5, 6-1 on Friday night to reach the Connecticut Open final for the fourth consecutive year.
- Parliament group regrets Russian speaker's no show Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Inter-Parliamentary Union expressed regret Friday that the speaker of Russia's upper house of Parliament will not be attending a world congress at the United Nations next week, apparently because of issues with her visa to the United States.
- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Biden, Ukraine leader condemn attacks by pro-Russian forces Updated: Aug-28-15 4:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is criticizing pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine for threatening to take more territory and hold their own elections.
- Radar detects object believed to be missing Nazi gold train Updated: Aug-28-15 3:44 pm
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish official said Friday he has seen an image made by ground-penetrating radar that seemed to prove the discovery of an armored Nazi train missing in southwestern Poland since World War II.
- Bodies of 71 migrants who died in truck taken to morgue Updated: Aug-28-15 3:11 pm
NICKELSDORF, Austria - An overpowering stench of death came from the truck on Austria's border with Hungary as workers unloaded the bodies of some of the 71 migrants who perished trapped inside the vehicle they hoped would take them to a better life.
- Albania seizes 500,000 cannabis plants in major crackdown Updated: Aug-28-15 2:10 pm
TIRANA, Albania - Albanian authorities say they have confiscated about half a million cannabis plants this year, arresting 240 suspected growers and drug traffickers.
- Struggling Russia gets unexpected gold in 110-meter hurdles Updated: Aug-28-15 1:14 pm
BEIJING - Russian hurdler Sergey Shubenkov knows all about his country's doping scandals, he's just not paying any attention to it.
- More precise data makes tiny Estonia grow by 834 islands Updated: Aug-28-15 11:37 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Tiny Estonia just got a little bit bigger.
- Midfielder Veloso back for Portugal against France, Albania Updated: Aug-28-15 10:51 am
LISBON, Portugal - Miguel Veloso earned his first call-up in a year as Portugal coach Fernando Santos announced his 24-man squad for an exhibition game against France and a European Championship qualifying match in Albania.
- Poland to service Bulgaria's Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets Updated: Aug-28-15 10:46 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's defense ministry says the country has reached a preliminary agreement with Bulgaria to modernize the Balkan country's Soviet-era fleet of MiG-29 fighter jets.
- Russian police finds stolen bas relief in right-wing attack Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Police in St. Petersburg on Friday found fragments of a 100-year old bas relief depicting the mythical demon Mephistopheles which was removed from the facade of a historic building, in a possible right-wing act of revenge.
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
MADRID - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday included goalkeeper David de Gea, Diego Costa and Juan Mata in his squad to take on Slovakia and Macedonia in qualifying matches for next year's European Championship.
- Germany picks Liverpool's Emre Can for Euro qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:09 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Germany coach Joachim Loew called up Liverpool midfielder Emre Can on Friday for the upcoming European Championship qualifying matches against Poland and Scotland.
- Ukraine asks Russia for lower gas prices for winter season Updated: Aug-28-15 9:01 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine asked Russia on Friday for lower gas prices for the winter and said Moscow should accept to write off a part of its loans to Kiev, as other international bondholders did this week.
- Former European champs Ajax, Celtic grouped in Europa League Updated: Aug-28-15 8:59 am
MONACO - Former European champions Ajax and Celtic were drawn together with Fenerbahce and Molde in the Europa League groups on Friday.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Slovakia midfielder Juraj Kucka has medical with AC Milan Updated: Aug-28-15 8:41 am
MILAN - Slovakia midfielder Juraj Kucka is undergoing a medical with AC Milan ahead of an expected transfer from Genoa.
- Estonia steps up surveillance along border with Russia Updated: Aug-28-15 8:13 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Estonia is planning to cover a 136-kilometer (84-mile) stretch of land along its border with Russia with state-of-art technology to combat illegal border-crossing and illicit traffic.
- Russian court convicts suspect in 1998 lawmaker murder Updated: Aug-28-15 7:55 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - A court in St. Petersburg has sentenced a former Russian lawmaker to 17 years in prison for organizing the 1998 assassination of a leading politician.
- Health ministry official detained on suspicion of bribes Updated: Aug-28-15 6:28 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A senior health ministry official has been detained on suspicion of accepting bribes of face cream and money in exchange for giving operating licenses to pharmacies, the latest case of suspected corruption in Romania's underfunded health care system.
- Second time around, Russian acrobat warmed up to Las Vegas Updated: Aug-28-15 6:18 am
LAS VEGAS - It was 1990, the ice of the Cold War was thawing, and Konstantin Besstchetnyi, a Soviet acrobat, was stuck in Las Vegas.
- China gets 1-2 in sporting finish to 20K walk at worlds Updated: Aug-28-15 1:29 am
BEIJING - With China's first gold of the world championships virtually assured, the only thing for teammates Liu Hong and Lu Xiuzhi to decide was who should win it.
- LA Kings sign Russian D Damir Sharipzyanov to 3-year deal Updated: Aug-27-15 5:14 pm
EL SEGUNDO, California - The Los Angeles Kings have signed defenseman Damir Sharipzyanov to a three-year contract.