- Belgium tops FIFA ranking, Netherlands down-and-out Updated: Oct-13-15 7:09 pm
BRUSSELS - The Dutch charmed the world with their free-flowing Total Football during the 1970s. In 2015, they are just a Total Loss.
- Dutch probe: Buk missile downed Malaysian jet in Ukraine Updated: Oct-13-15 6:47 pm
GILZE-RIJEN AIR BASE, Netherlands - The missile shot skyward from war-ravaged eastern Ukraine. With deadly accuracy more than six miles up, it detonated just in front of the Malaysia Airlines jetliner, sending hundreds of jagged steel shards ripping through its aluminum skin at up to 5,600 mph and shearing the cockpit from the rest of the plane.
- Croatia qualifies for Euro 2016 with help from Italy Updated: Oct-13-15 6:22 pm
ROME - With some help from Italy, Croatia qualified for its fourth consecutive European Championship after a 1-0 win at Malta on Tuesday.
- Netherlands loses 3-2 to Czech Republic, misses Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-13-15 6:00 pm
AMSTERDAM - The Netherlands squandered its last chance of reaching the playoffs for next year's European Championship in a humiliating 3-2 defeat by 10-man Czech Republic on Tuesday.
- Kerry condemns Palestinian attacks against Israeli civilians Updated: Oct-13-15 5:48 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday condemned terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians and said that violence between Israelis and Palestinians "has got to stop."
- Carter: US, Russia nearing accord on air safety over Syria Updated: Oct-13-15 5:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter says the U.S. is nearing an agreement in its discussions with Russia about flight safety in the skies over Syria, and talks may conclude soon.
- Mitu upsets top-seeded Safarova; Petkovic also out in Linz Updated: Oct-13-15 5:18 pm
LINZ, Austria - Seventh-ranked Lucie Safarova of Czech Republic crashed out of the Generali Ladies in straight sets on Tuesday, losing her first match back on tour after a bacterial infection had kept her sidelined since the U.S. Open.
- US draws a line on protecting CIA-backed rebels in Syria Updated: Oct-13-15 4:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The Russian military intervention to prop up Syria's government has brought new scrutiny of the CIA's secret support to Syrian rebels fighting Bashar Assad. But how far is the U.S. willing to go to empower its proxies to take on Vladimir Putin's allies?
- UN rights expert airs doubts about Belarus election result Updated: Oct-13-15 3:25 pm
GENEVA - A U.N. human rights expert is raising doubts about the re-election of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, saying he garnered the highest margin of victory in any election in Europe since the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union.
- Moldova thanks Romania for $171 million loan Updated: Oct-13-15 3:17 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Moldova's prime minister has thanked Romania for a 150 million euro ($171 million), five-year loan which he said will be spent on modernizing the former Soviet republic, which wants to join the European Union.
- Russian Embassy shelled in Syria as insurgents hit back Updated: Oct-13-15 2:40 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Russian Embassy in Damascus was shelled Tuesday as pro-government demonstrators gathered outside, and Syria's largest insurgent coalition announced an offensive to counter Moscow's airstrikes that have injected new fury in the conflict.
- Russia says thwarted Moscow terror attack planned by 12 Updated: Oct-13-15 1:24 pm
MOSCOW - Russian security officials released new details Tuesday about a group suspected of planning a terror attack in Moscow with support from the Islamic State group, saying it was comprised of 12 Russian citizens, including at least one who had been trained in Syria.
- French president is looking to sell new ships to Russia Updated: Oct-13-15 1:09 pm
SAINT-NAZAIRE - France is looking to sell new ships to Russia in the future despite the cancellation of a controversial deal for two Mistral-class warships this year, French President Francois Hollande said Tuesday.
- The Latest: Czech watchdog condemns asylum conditions Updated: Oct-13-15 12:53 pm
GENEVA - The latest news from the wave of refugees and other migrants fleeing Africa, Asia and the Middle East and heading for western Europe. All times local.
- Opposition head: no leniency for Roman Polanski if we rule Updated: Oct-13-15 11:16 am
WARSAW, Poland - The leader of Poland's conservative opposition Law and Justice party said Tuesday there will be no leniency for fugitive filmmaker Roman Polanski if his party wins the Oct. 25 general elections.
- The Latest: Dutch prosecutors: Tough finding MH-17 witnesses Updated: Oct-13-15 10:56 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The latest news on the report into the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in eastern Ukraine last year. All times local.
- Wild aurochs-like cattle reintroduced in Czech Republic Updated: Oct-13-15 9:52 am
MILOVICE, Czech Republic - Such an animal has not been seen on Czech territory for hundreds of years.
- UEFA charges Moldova over fans' racist flags at Russia game Updated: Oct-13-15 8:50 am
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the Moldova soccer association over crowd issues, including racism, during a European Championship qualifier against Russia.
- US ambassador says Romania still needs a lot of reforms Updated: Oct-13-15 8:04 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - The U.S. ambassador to Romania on Tuesday urged politicians to continue reforms, stop political meddling in the management of state-owned companies and create a regulatory system which fosters investment.
- Kosovo opposition protests detention of its leader Updated: Oct-13-15 5:42 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Fifteen policemen and one civilian were injured during a violent protest by the opposition Self-Determination Party (Vetevendosje!) after an opposition lawmaker was taken in for questioning, Kosovo police said Tuesday.
- 4 coalminers dead, 2 injured in accident in Bosnia Updated: Oct-13-15 4:38 am
KAKANJ, Bosnia-Herzegovina - A spokesman for a Bosnian coal mine says four miners died and two were injured in an overnight accident.
- China says Russia, US must avoid fighting proxy war in Syria Updated: Oct-13-15 3:21 am
BEIJING - The U.S. and Russia must not allow the conflict in Syria to develop into a full-blown proxy war, China's ruling Communist Party said Tuesday, chiding both Moscow and Washington for having an outdated Cold War mindset.
- Slovakia beats Luxembourg 4-2, qualifies for Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-12-15 6:02 pm
LUXEMBOURG - Slovakia beat Luxembourg 4-2 on Monday to advance to the European Championship for the first time as an independent nation.
- Syria troops advance under Russian air cover Updated: Oct-12-15 2:58 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Russian jets intensified their airstrikes Monday in central Syria as government forces battled insurgents in a strategic area near a rebel-held province and a government stronghold.
- Amid Russian airstrikes, a Putin craze takes hold in Mideast Updated: Oct-12-15 2:54 pm
BEIRUT - Amid the ornate walls of Damascus' famed Omayyad Mosque, preacher Maamoun Rahmeh stood before worshippers last week, declaring Russian President Vladimir Putin a "giant and beloved leader" who has "destroyed the myth of the self-aggrandizing America."