- Strong earthquake rocks east Indonesia; communications lost Updated: Feb-12-16 9:45 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - A strong earthquake rocked eastern Indonesia on Friday, apparently knocking out communications on islands near the epicenter.
- Philippines, rebels fortify truce amid stalled peace pact Updated: Feb-12-16 8:31 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine government and Muslim rebels have extended the stay of international cease-fire monitors at their first meeting since their peace pact stalled amid fears of fresh fighting.
- Image of Asia: Commemorating Union Day in Myanmar Updated: Feb-12-16 8:14 am
In this photo by Aung Shine Oo, an ethnic Shan woman takes a selfie during a ceremony to mark the 69th anniversary of Union Day in Naypyitaw, Myanmar. Union Day marks the anniversary of a 1947 agreement among the country's ethnic groups that paved the way to independence from Britain. The military ruled Myanmar with an iron fist for many years following independence, but after elections late last year, the country soon will have its first democratically elected government in more than 50 years. Democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi's party has a majority in both houses of parliament, so is certain to get the president's post and one of the two vice presidential positions that are scheduled to be announced March 17.
- World Baseball Classic qualifying: Aussies 4, South Africa 1 Updated: Feb-12-16 6:56 am
SYDNEY - Australia scored three first-inning runs on five hits - including four consecutive hits to start the game - and defeated South Africa 4-1 on Friday to advance to the final of the World Baseball Classic qualifying tournament.
- Thai police say slain Spaniard's DNA found in suspect's home Updated: Feb-12-16 6:21 am
BANGKOK - Police in Thailand said Friday they have found bloodstains and DNA from a Spanish victim in the apartment of the Spanish man who was arrested on suspicion of killing and dismembering him.
- Congress bans import of forced labor products Updated: Feb-12-16 3:19 am
A bill headed for President Barack Obama this week includes a provision that would ban U.S. imports of fish caught by slaves in Southeast Asia, gold mined by children in Africa and garments sewn by abused women in Bangladesh, closing a loophole in an 85-year-old tariff law that has failed to keep products of forced and child labor out of America.
- Indonesia warns messaging apps to drop same-sex emoticons Updated: Feb-12-16 12:14 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Human Rights Watch on Friday urged Indonesian President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to protect gay and lesbian rights, a day after his government told instant messaging apps to remove stickers featuring same-sex couples in the latest high-profile attempt to discourage visible homosexuality in the socially conservative country.
- Worawi hopes depend on appeal against FAT elections Updated: Feb-11-16 11:47 pm
BANGKOK - Worawi Makudi's attempts to cling onto power in Thai football depend on an appeal against this week's Football Association of Thailand elections which voted in a new president.
- US criticizes Cambodia for intimidation ahead of PM's visit Updated: Feb-11-16 4:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is criticizing Cambodia's government for threats against the political opposition as the Southeast Asian nation's prime minister prepares to make his first official U.S. visit during 31 years in power.
- 2 foreign race callers among 4 finalists for Santa Anita job Updated: Feb-11-16 12:55 pm
ARCADIA, California - Race callers from Britain and Singapore are among the four finalists to become the permanent track announcer at Santa Anita.
- Thai deputy PM sets July 31 vote on charter, 2017 election Updated: Feb-11-16 10:26 am
BANGKOK - A referendum on a new Thai constitution will be held July 31 and will be followed by a general election before the end of next year, whether or not the new charter is approved, the deputy prime minister of the military government said Thursday.
- Report charges Thai government ignores torture allegations Updated: Feb-10-16 10:59 am
BANGKOK - A group of human rights organizations in southern Thailand said in a report Wednesday that complaints of torture by security forces have not been addressed by authorities.
- Indonesia air force plane crashes into home; 4 dead Updated: Feb-10-16 7:21 am
MALANG, Indonesia - An Indonesian air force plane crashed into a house on the main island of Java on Wednesday, killing both people on board and two people in the house, a senior official said.
- Myanmar military plane crash kills 4 Updated: Feb-10-16 3:02 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - Four Myanmar military personnel were killed and one survived Wednesday when an air force utility aircraft crashed after taking off from the airport in the capital Naypyitaw, officials said.
- Australia commits to legal growing of medicinal marijuana Updated: Feb-09-16 11:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian lawmakers committed on Wednesday to legalize the growing of marijuana for medical use within a part of the world renowned for zero-tolerance and harsh penalties for illegal drugs.
- Senate confirms Obama's choice for ambassador to Myanmar Updated: Feb-09-16 2:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate has confirmed President Barack Obama's nominee to serve as ambassador to Myanmar.
- Jordan Spieth: the target inside and outside the ropes Updated: Feb-09-16 12:26 pm
PEBBLE BEACH, California - Jordan Spieth had to work his way through about 100 people who blocked his path to the first tee at Pebble Beach. They held out tournament tickets, caps, glossy photos and Masters flags for him to sign, and some asked him to stop for pictures.
- US intel: China to keep building on artificial islands Updated: Feb-09-16 12:15 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. intelligence chief says he expects China to keep building on artificial islands to sustain its "exorbitant" territorial claims in the disputed South China Sea.
- Closely fought Philippine presidential race gets underway Updated: Feb-09-16 11:00 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine presidential candidates launched their campaigns Tuesday in festive showbiz-style rallies to draw in the crowds in what is emerging as a closely fought contest to lead one of Asia's most unwieldy democracies.
- Indonesia sentences 7 for IS links, as Bashir files appeal Updated: Feb-09-16 8:09 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - An Indonesian court on Tuesday sentenced seven men for conspiring with the Islamic State group, the first time the country has sent anyone to prison for IS links, as radical cleric Abu Bakar Bashir appealed his conviction.
- Ian Mader named AP's news editor in Florida Updated: Feb-08-16 10:45 am
MIAMI - Ian Mader, a veteran foreign correspondent with a reputation for breaking news and challenging reporters, has been named The Associated Press Florida news editor based in Miami.
- Top Philippine diplomat and China critic resigns over health Updated: Feb-08-16 8:02 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' top diplomat, who was behind a bold government move to challenge the validity of China's vast territorial claims in the South China Sea at an international tribunal, has resigned due to health reasons, officials said Monday.
- Name of Myanmar's next president to be known March 17 Updated: Feb-08-16 1:32 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - The names of Myanmar's next president and two vice presidents will be revealed on March 17, an official said Monday, setting a clear timeline for the transition of power from a military-controlled government to democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi's party.
- Murder suspect of dismembered Spaniard arrested in Cambodia Updated: Feb-07-16 11:50 pm
PNHOM PENH, Cambodia - A Spanish man who is the prime suspect in the gruesome murder of a fellow Spaniard was arrested in Cambodia, where he is believed to have fled after the victim's dismembered body was recovered piece by piece from Bangkok's Chao Phraya River, police said Monday.
- Firebrand monks a powerful force in Myanmar despite setback Updated: Feb-06-16 12:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Dark-skinned and bearded men jump a young woman after she prays at a Buddhist shrine. They push her to the ground and rape her. Then they cut off her ear and slit her throat.