- A biker named 'Stray Dog' postpones Granik's Ozarks exit Updated: Jul-01-15 7:05 pm
NEW YORK - Debra Granik met Ron "Stray Dog" Hall at a biker church in the Ozarks.
- Dutch Safety Board has draft report into MH17 crash Updated: Jul-01-15 10:47 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The team investigating last year's crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in eastern Ukraine has prepared a draft final report and given it to countries involved in the probe for their comments.
- Indonesia plane crash death toll 141 as search effort ends Updated: Jul-01-15 9:50 am
MEDAN, Indonesia - Indonesia's air force promised Wednesday to investigate whether the aging transport plane that crashed into a city neighborhood, killing 141 people, was violating rules by carrying non-military passengers who paid for their flights. A local military commander said the search for bodies has ended.
- The Latest on Indonesia: Search for plane crash victims ends Updated: Jul-01-15 6:07 am
MEDAN, Indonesia - The latest on the Indonesian military plane crash (all times local):
- Thailand arrests 2 alleged brokers who sent slaves to boats Updated: Jul-01-15 6:01 am
BANGKOK - Two Thai men described as key figures in a human trafficking ring that provides slave crews for fishing boats were arrested, officials said Wednesday, as new regulations aimed at cracking down on illegal fishing took effect.
- Myanmar fisherman goes home after 22 years as a slave Updated: Jul-01-15 1:46 am
TUAL, Indonesia - All he did was ask to go home.
- How to help fishermen rescued from slavery at sea in SE Asia Updated: Jul-01-15 1:07 am
Aid groups are working to support and settle hundreds of men rescued from slavery at sea in Southeast Asia. The money will be used to help victims seek justice and rebuild lives.
- Myanmar fisherman goes home after 22 years as a slave Updated: Jul-01-15 12:57 am
TUAL, Indonesia - All he did was ask to go home.
- NZ man gets 15 years prison in Indonesia in drug smuggling Updated: Jun-30-15 10:26 am
BALI, Indonesia - An Indonesian court on Tuesday sentenced a New Zealand man to 15 years in prison for trying to smuggle methamphetamine into the resort island of Bali.
- Top Philippine police chief ordered dismissed over contract Updated: Jun-30-15 7:52 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' anti-graft prosecutor on Tuesday ordered the national police chief and 10 other officers dismissed from the service for approving a contract to deliver gun licenses with a courier company that had no track record.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jun-30-15 6:10 am
Crunch time in Greece as bailout due to expire, IMF loan due with no deal in sight
- UN rights office urges Thailand to free 14 student activists Updated: Jun-30-15 4:52 am
BANGKOK - The U.N. human rights office called Tuesday on Thailand to release 14 student activists and drop the charges that were filed against them for holding a peaceful anti-coup rally.
- Arkansas governor signs agreement with Vietnam province Updated: Jun-29-15 6:32 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas has signed an agreement with a Vietnamese province that is aimed at boosting trade between the two regions.
- Thai ice cream company apologizes for Facebook gay slur Updated: Jun-29-15 9:49 am
BANGKOK - A Thai ice cream company owned by Unilever has apologized for using a derogatory term for gay men in a Facebook posting marking the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage, a spokeswoman said Monday.
- Gay activists in Asia upbeat about impact of US court ruling Updated: Jun-27-15 10:43 pm
Gay rights activists in Asia, where no country allows same-sex couples to legally marry, are upbeat about prospects for a change following the landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing such marriages in every state of the nation.
- US same-sex marriage ruling likely to impact other countries Updated: Jun-27-15 8:47 pm
LONDON - The landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling in favor of same-sex marriages has no legal force outside the United States, but gay rights activists in many parts of the world believe the court ruling will help their cause.
- Filipino LGBT people celebrate Gay Pride, US court decision Updated: Jun-27-15 9:28 am
MANILA, Philippines - Several hundred gays, lesbians and transgender people held a Gay Pride rally Saturday in the Philippine capital to push for LGBT rights and to celebrate the U.S. Supreme Court decision recognizing gay marriages in all U.S. states as a victory for their cause.
- Indonesian army inches back into civilian sphere Updated: Jun-27-15 2:19 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Nearly two decades after the fall of dictator Suharto forced Indonesia's military out of politics, the army is inching back into civilian roles, risking a setback for democracy in this Southeast Asian nation and perhaps even for the turbulent region.
- Philippine officials say China island-building in full swing Updated: Jun-26-15 9:55 pm
PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines - China is pressing ahead with the construction of artificial islands on at least two reefs that are also claimed by the Philippines in an increasingly tense territorial dispute, Filipino officials said, despite Beijing's pronouncement that some work would end soon.
- Suicide car bombing kills 20 Syrian troops in Kurdish city Updated: Jun-26-15 3:02 pm
BEIRUT - Syria's official news agency and activists say a suicide bombing has targeted a security building at the northeastern, mostly Kurdish city of Hassakeh.
- Thailand junta cancels human rights report launch on Vietnam Updated: Jun-26-15 8:17 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's military government on Friday forced a human rights group to cancel the public launch of its report on the Vietnamese government's persecution of an ethnic minority, saying it could affect national security and bilateral relations.
- Philippine officials say China island-building in full swing Updated: Jun-26-15 2:20 am
PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines - Philippine officials say China has continued with its major island-making work in at least two reefs in the South China Sea's Spratly island chain, casting doubt on a Chinese pronouncement that some of its massive construction in seven sites there would end soon.
- Bangkok airport denies security slip after Tokyo finds a gun Updated: Jun-25-15 11:49 pm
BANGKOK - Airport officials in Thailand say they followed proper security measures and gave no special treatment to Bangkok's former police chief who was arrested earlier this week in Tokyo with a loaded gun in his luggage.
- Key countries call for tribunal for Malaysia Airlines crash Updated: Jun-25-15 5:58 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The five countries investigating last year's shooting down of a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine are calling for an international tribunal to prosecute those responsible.
- Myanmar's parliament blocks changes to constitution Updated: Jun-25-15 5:30 pm
YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's parliament voted against several constitutional amendments Thursday, ensuring that the military's veto power remains intact and that opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi cannot become president in an election this year.