- Suspected Flight 370 wing flap arrives at French facility Updated: Aug-01-15 3:07 pm
BALMA, France - A wing flap suspected to be from the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 on Saturday arrived at a French military testing facility where it will be analyzed by experts.
- WHO and sailing body seek virus tests in Rio Olympic venues Updated: Aug-01-15 12:43 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The World Health Organization has asked the IOC to analyze virus levels in Rio de Janeiro's Olympic waters, and the governing body of world sailing says it will start doing its own independent virus tests.
- Heavy rains in Myanmar cause more flooding; 9 dead Updated: Aug-01-15 10:01 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Heavy rains in Myanmar have caused more flooding and left nine people dead, devastating several townships and forcing more than 18,000 people into temporary shelters, officials said Saturday.
- USOC: 3 cities being contacted to replace Boston in 2024 bid Updated: Aug-01-15 8:35 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - U.S. Olympic leaders have started contacting Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington about the possibility of bidding for the 2024 Games and believe the demise of Boston's candidacy will be "ancient history" by the time the host city is selected in 2017.
- IOC hears reports on Rio's dirty water, Tokyo emblem flap Updated: Aug-01-15 7:53 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A day after the high-profile vote which awarded Beijing the 2022 Winter Games, International Olympic Committee members dealt Saturday with issues affecting the next two Summer Games - severe water pollution in Rio de Janeiro and the fuss over Tokyo's choice of emblem.
- Jolie, Suu Kyi visit Myanmar female factory workers Updated: Aug-01-15 4:01 am
YANGON, Myanmar - Angelina Jolie has joined Myanmar's opposition leader and democracy icon, Aung San Suu Kyi, in sitting down with female workers to learn more about their dire conditions.
- AP's Myanmar journalist Aye Aye Win retires after 25 years Updated: Aug-01-15 2:59 am
BANGKOK - Aye Aye Win, The Associated Press chief of bureau in Myanmar who told her country's story to the world despite threats, surveillance and official warnings, retired Saturday after 25 years with the news agency.
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- Kerry to push Malaysia on human trafficking during visit Updated: Jul-31-15 11:18 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry will push Malaysia to redouble its efforts against human trafficking during an upcoming visit for regional security talks, a senior State Department official said Friday.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.
- Watchdog groups quick to criticize IOC over Beijing in 2022 Updated: Jul-31-15 1:32 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Beijing bid delegation had no sooner finished their congratulatory hugs and handshakes after being awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics than criticism from human rights groups over the IOC's decision began to pour in.
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Throughout more than 120 years of Olympic history, no city has hosted both the winter and summer games. Now, Beijing will be the first do it - and in the span of just 14 years.
- Technical issues force 2 votes for 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 10:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The vote to decide the 2022 Winter Olympics host city should have taken about 10 minutes using tablet-like electronic devices. Instead, a technical glitch left 85 voting members of the International Olympic Committee using paper ballots to ultimately give Beijing the nod.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Beijing celebrates winning the 2022 Winter Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 8:15 am
BEIJING - Lion dancers swayed and confetti canons erupted Friday as news came that Beijing would become the first city to host both the summer and winter Olympics.
- Tracing back debris to find Flight 370 may prove impossible Updated: Jul-31-15 6:31 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - If it's confirmed that a wing fragment found on a remote island in the Indian Ocean is from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, lost more than 500 days ago, could scientists use their knowledge of ocean currents to trace back its path and pinpoint the bulk of the wreck?
- Lausanne awarded 2020 Winter Youth Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 5:59 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Swiss city of Lausanne has been awarded the Winter Youth Olympics for 2020, beating Brasov, Romania, in a vote by International Olympic Committee members.
- Aquino chooses Roxas as Philippine presidential candidate Updated: Jul-31-15 5:52 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said Friday he had picked Interior Secretary Manuel "Mar" Roxas II as the administration candidate to succeed him in elections next year.
- Chinese vice premier, Kazakh prime minister head delegations Updated: Jul-31-15 12:00 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov will head the Almaty delegation and Chinese Vice Premier Liu Yandong will lead the Beijing team in the final presentations to the IOC ahead of the vote for the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- AP investigation prompts new round of slave rescues Updated: Jul-30-15 11:56 pm
Authorities in Papua New Guinea have rescued eight fishermen held on board a Thai-owned refrigerated cargo ship, and dozens of other boats are still being sought in response to an Associated Press report that included satellite photos and locations of slave vessels at sea.
- Ukraine will try again for downed plane tribunal Updated: Jul-30-15 7:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ukraine's foreign minister said Thursday that the five countries investigating the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine a year ago will try again to get U.N. Security Council approval for an international tribunal to prosecute the alleged perpetrators.
- Man describes find that could solve MH370 plane mystery Updated: Jul-30-15 4:28 pm
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion - Johnny Begue was out collecting stones on the French Indian Ocean island he calls home when he says he saw part of an airplane wing washed up in the sand.
- The Latest: Possible plane debris being sent to France Updated: Jul-30-15 7:35 am
PARIS - Here are the latest developments on the Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared nearly a year and a half ago (all times local):
- Myanmar pardons China loggers among nearly 7,000 prisoners Updated: Jul-30-15 6:56 am
YANGON, Myanmar - More than 150 Chinese workers sentenced to life in prison for illegal logging were freed in Myanmar on Thursday under a massive presidential pardon that included nearly 7,000 prisoners.
- Relatives torn over possible 1st debris from missing MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 5:25 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Jacquita Gomes is torn about whether to believe that plane debris found more than 16 months after the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is the first concrete evidence that her husband is truly gone.