- Pakistan cricket says government to decide on India series Updated: Nov-25-15 9:43 am
ISLAMABAD - It is up to the Pakistan government to green-light the series against India next month, the Pakistan Cricket Board said on Wednesday.
- Image of Asia: Gathering fallen leaves to make charcoal Updated: Nov-25-15 8:09 am
In this photo by Mukhtar Khan, women collect dry leaves of willow, poplar and maple trees on the outskirts of Srinagar in Indian-controlled Kashmir. Kashmiris collect fallen leaves in autumn to make charcoal for keeping themselves warm and cooking during winter. The dried leaves are half burnt to get charcoal. Kashmiris use "kangri" pots filled with hot charcoal embers and carried beneath their traditional clothing for personal warmth. Winter temperatures typically drop below freezing in the Himalayan territory and heavy snows make roads impassable.
- Indian media say paramilitary force is curtailing freedom Updated: Nov-25-15 7:56 am
GAUHATI, India - Indian media and a rights group accused a paramilitary force on Wednesday of attempting to curtail press freedom by asking newspapers in an insurgency-hit northeastern state to stop publishing statements from a banned rebel group.
- South Africa 11-2 after Harmer, Morkel restrict India Updated: Nov-25-15 7:37 am
NAGPUR, India - Offspinner Simon Harmer and pace bowler Morne Morkel shared seven wickets as South Africa bowled India out for 215 on the first day Wednesday of the third test.
- AP staffers win prestigious Indian journalism awards Updated: Nov-25-15 6:06 am
NEW DELHI - Two Associated Press journalists are among the winners of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards, India's most prestigious, for work exposing the public health and environmental damage done by the country's asbestos industry and capturing the devastation of last year's floods in the Kashmir region.
- Shumlin: Rejecting Syrian refugees would be 'shameful' Updated: Nov-24-15 8:12 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Gov. Peter Shumlin visited an English-language class of refugees from war-torn countries on Tuesday to thank them for making Vermont their home and to highlight his support for accepting Syrian refugees into the United States.
- Obama to meet with leaders of China, India at climate summit Updated: Nov-24-15 4:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is hoping to generate early momentum for international climate talks in Paris next week by holding one-on-one meetings there with the leaders of China and India.
- Pakistani fighter jet crashes, killing woman co-pilot Updated: Nov-24-15 11:14 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's Air Force says a fighter jet has crashed during a routine training exercise and that the aircraft's female co-pilot died following the crash.
- Leader of religious forum attacked in Bangladesh Updated: Nov-24-15 11:04 am
NEW DELHI - Two men wielding kitchen knives attacked a religious forum leader in Bangladesh on Tuesday, police said.
- Bangladesh police investigate missing Japanese businesswoman Updated: Nov-24-15 9:29 am
NEW DELHI - Police in Bangladesh have opened a murder investigation in the disappearance of a Japanese businesswoman following reports that her body was buried in a graveyard under a false name.
- India's Modi stresses reforms in Singapore investment push Updated: Nov-24-15 8:05 am
SINGAPORE - In a plea for Singapore investments, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi stressed Tuesday that reforms have been made under his watch, as the two countries elevated their relations to a strategic partnership.
- Report: 90 percent of disasters are weather-related Updated: Nov-23-15 7:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ninety percent of disasters in the last 20 years have been caused by floods, storms, heatwaves and other weather-related events - and these weather-spawned disasters are becoming more frequent, according to a report released Monday.
- McAuliffe: deal to bring more Virginia apples to India Updated: Nov-23-15 11:16 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Terry McAuliffe has announced an export deal to bring more Virginia apples to India.
- Bangladesh angry over Pakistan's criticism of executions Updated: Nov-23-15 8:13 am
NEW DELHI - Bangladesh accused Pakistan on Monday of interfering in its internal affairs by criticizing the execution of two opposition leaders for alleged war crimes during the country's 1971 war of independence.
- Helicopter crash kills Hindu pilgrims in Indian Kashmir Updated: Nov-23-15 4:31 am
SRINAGAR, India - A helicopter flying pilgrims from a mountain temple dedicated to a Hindu goddess crashed Monday, killing seven people in the Indian-controlled portion of Kashmir.
- 5.9 magnitude earthquake hits NE Afghanistan Updated: Nov-22-15 4:09 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting that a magnitude 5.9 earthquake has hit northeastern Afghanistan near the border with Pakistan and Tajikistan. There were no immediate reports of casualties.
- Indian Hindu activists take down floating cow exhibit Updated: Nov-22-15 6:54 am
JAIPUR, India - Right-wing Hindu activists have taken down an exhibit of a Styrofoam cow that was suspended in midair using a balloon, organizers of an art fair in western India and police said Sunday.
- Nepal police fire on ethnic protesters blocking road; 2 dead Updated: Nov-22-15 1:40 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Police in southern Nepal opened fire on ethnic protesters blocking the nation's main highway, killing two in fresh violence that threatened to escalate political tensions, officials said Sunday.
- SE Asia creates Economic Community, but challenges remain Updated: Nov-21-15 11:39 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Thirteen years after the idea was mooted, Southeast Asian leaders on Sunday formally created a unified economic community in a region more populous and diverse than the European Union or North America, and with hopes of competing with China and India.
- Teen honored for helping Indian widows 'Sew a Future' Updated: Nov-21-15 10:32 am
PLAINSBORO, New Jersey - It's not every day that a drone shows up at your front door, drops a package with an iPad in it and whirls away, leaving you a personalized video message from Nick Cannon to come to Florida - right away.
- Afghan probe finds leadership failure behind fall of Kunduz Updated: Nov-21-15 9:40 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Weak leadership, misuse of resources and lack of coordination between Afghan security services were the main reasons a strategic northern city briefly fell to the Taliban, the head of an investigative team said Saturday.
- Family says Pakistan to execute paraplegic man within days Updated: Nov-21-15 8:33 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's only paraplegic death-row inmate will be executed in the coming days at a high-security prison in the industrial city of Faisalabad, his mother and an international rights group said Saturday.
- US criticism grows over Bangladesh war crimes tribunal Updated: Nov-20-15 8:25 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States is sharpening its criticism of Bangladesh's tribunal on war crimes after death sentences were upheld this week against two influential opposition leaders.
- Buttler hits 46-ball ton, England beats Pakistan in 4th ODI Updated: Nov-20-15 3:07 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Wicketkeeper Jos Buttler smashed the fastest one-day international century by an England batsman as his team beat Pakistan by 84 runs in the fourth ODI on Friday to clinch the four-match series 3-1.
- Greenpeace: Indian court stays order canceling work permit Updated: Nov-20-15 8:20 am
NEW DELHI - Greenpeace India said Friday that a court has put on hold a government order canceling its registration to operate in India.