- US experts warn plutonium stocks could soar in East Asia Updated: Oct-07-15 4:35 am
WASHINGTON - Experts warn that Northeast Asia could see a dangerous growth in stocks of weapons-usable plutonium - and U.S. lawmakers say Obama administration policies could be making matters worse.
- Jim Furyk doesn't have clubs and still travels Updated: Oct-07-15 4:09 am
INCHEON, South Korea - Jim Furyk showed how much the Presidents Cup meant to him. He came to South Korea without his golf clubs.
- Samsung 3Q operating profit surges, shares jump 9 percent Updated: Oct-07-15 3:49 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics announced a forecast-beating profit for the third quarter Wednesday, sending its share price up nearly 9 percent, but analysts said strong component sales and favorable currency exchange rates masked persistent weakness in its smartphone business.
- Scott trying to fill the (Presidents) Cup Updated: Oct-07-15 3:45 am
INCHEON, South Korea - Adam Scott has seven Presidents Cup logos on his bag to show how many teams he has made.
- Asian shares higher despite lower IMF growth forecast Updated: Oct-07-15 2:55 am
TOKYO - Asian stock markets and oil prices rose Wednesday, taking in stride the IMF's lower global growth forecast and Japan's central bank leaving monetary policy unchanged.
- Madonna announces second Bangkok show as part of world tour Updated: Oct-07-15 2:31 am
BANGKOK - Madonna has added a second show in Bangkok for her "Rebel Heart" world tour after the first concert sold out in under an hour, organizers said Wednesday.
- Bank of China ordered to release counterfeiters' records Updated: Oct-07-15 12:18 am
SHANGHAI - A New York judge has ordered the Bank of China to hand over detailed information about Chinese bank accounts used by a counterfeiting ring that allegedly sold millions of dollars of fake Gucci handbags and wallets in the U.S.
- As Pyongyang readies grand show, rural life still a struggle Updated: Oct-06-15 11:47 pm
PYONGYANG, North Korea - While North Korea prepares a big show to mark the 70th anniversary of the ruling Workers' Party, the daily struggles of life outside the capital - such as finding clean running water and putting nutritious food on the table year-round - pose a harsh, but largely unseen, contrast to the grand celebrations the world will see Oct. 10.
- Spieth, Dustin Johnson partners in Presidents Cup Updated: Oct-06-15 11:43 pm
INCHEON, South Korea - Jordan Spieth and Dustin Johnson battled at Chambers Bay in the U.S. Open. They will be partners in South Korea at the Presidents Cup.
- US, Japan museums united on Missouri, Yamato battleships Updated: Oct-06-15 10:33 pm
HONOLULU - U.S. and Japanese museums are forming a partnership to preserve and promote the history of the battleship USS Missouri and the Japanese battleship Yamato.
- Hawaii Gov. David Ige travels to Japan and China Updated: Oct-06-15 9:34 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii Gov. David Ige is traveling to Japan and China to promote educational partnerships, energy cooperation and investment in Hawaii.
- Asian cinema masterpieces, ferry tragedy at Korean film fest Updated: Oct-06-15 8:40 pm
BUSAN, South Korea - South Korea's second-largest city is in a festive mood as the Busan Film Festival passes the midpoint.
- The Latest: Prosecutor: Ex-UN official implicated himself Updated: Oct-06-15 8:05 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on allegations that former United Nations General Assembly President Josh Ashe accepted bribes to help a Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople gain investments and government contracts (all times local):
- Ex-UN General Assembly head among 6 held in bribery scheme Updated: Oct-06-15 8:02 pm
NEW YORK - A former president of the United Nations General Assembly turned the world body into a "platform for profit" by accepting over $1 million in bribes from a billionaire Chinese real estate mogul and other businesspeople to pave the way for lucrative investments, a prosecutor charged Tuesday.
- Chinese billionaire finds himself at center of a new scandal Updated: Oct-06-15 7:11 pm
NEW YORK - For the second time in three decades, a billionaire Chinese real estate mogul is central to a scandal over whether his money was used to buy influence in the United States.
- Colorado man gets probation in fossil importation case Updated: Oct-06-15 6:56 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A Colorado man has been sentenced to one year of probation for understating the value of fossils imported from China to the United States.
- Japan under pressure in Asian World Cup qualification Updated: Oct-06-15 6:51 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - On a night of big games in Asia, Japan will be under the most pressure as a defeat to Syria in their 2018 World Cup qualifier on Thursday would cast doubt on its chances of making it to Russia.
- Yum's stock plunges after KFC parent's slow China recovery Updated: Oct-06-15 4:57 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Shares of Yum Brand plunged in late trading Tuesday after the owner of KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell cut its profit outlook for the year, citing a slower-than-expected comeback for its key China division.
- Nobel Prize for key discoveries about subatomic particles Updated: Oct-06-15 4:16 pm
STOCKHOLM - Two scientists won the Nobel Prize in physics Tuesday for key discoveries about a cosmic particle that whizzes through space at nearly the speed of light, passing easily through Earth and even your body.
- Rubio, 2 other GOP senators seek tougher sanctions on NKorea Updated: Oct-06-15 3:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Three Republican senators, including presidential candidate Marco Rubio, are proposing new sanctions on North Korea over its nuclear weapons program and human rights abuses.
- Captaincy no curse so far for South Africa halfback Du Preez Updated: Oct-06-15 2:21 pm
LONDON - Fourie du Preez would enjoy the cut and thrust of leading South Africa even more at the Rugby World Cup if he could leave the captaincy duties on the pitch.
- IMF downgrades forecast for world, emerging market economies Updated: Oct-06-15 12:51 pm
LIMA, Peru - China's slowdown and tumbling commodity prices will push global economic growth this year to the lowest level since the recession year 2009, the International Monetary Fund predicted Tuesday.
- The Latest: Research changed the course of particle physics Updated: Oct-06-15 12:29 pm
STOCKHOLM - Latest developments in the announcements of the Nobel Prizes (all times local):
- US trade deficit widens to $48.3 billion in August Updated: Oct-06-15 10:22 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit jumped sharply in August as exports fell to the lowest level in nearly three years while imports increased, led by a surge in shipments of cellphones from China.
- Yacht missing with 2 Britons, American, Canadian, Filipino Updated: Oct-06-15 10:19 am
MANILA, Philippines - A yacht carrying two Britons, an American, a Canadian and a Filipino disappeared while sailing in waters that were lashed by a storm last week, the Philippine coast guard said Tuesday.