- Travel new and now: Harley exhibit, park film, Airbnb Africa Updated: Aug-04-15 2:26 pm
HARLEY-DAVIDSON DESIGN EXHIBIT IN MILWAUKEE
- Wounded Burundi activist is hospitalized but not in danger Updated: Aug-04-15 11:29 am
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - A prominent Burundi rights activist is hospitalized but his life is not in danger after being shot Monday night, his daughter said Tuesday.
- Swiss customs seize 578 pounds of ivory en route to China Updated: Aug-04-15 9:41 am
BERLIN - Customs officials at Zurich airport have seized 262 kilograms (578 pounds) of ivory that three Chinese men had dispatched from Tanzania, contraband that may have come from up to 50 elephants, Swiss authorities said Tuesday.
- Ethiopia jails 18 Muslims over alleged terror Updated: Aug-03-15 3:14 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - A court in Ethiopia has handed jail terms ranging from seven to 22 years against 18 Muslims who were convicted on terror charges, including allegedly attempting to establish a religious government.
- Investigators for missing Malaysia flight meet in Paris Updated: Aug-03-15 1:04 pm
PARIS - French and Malaysian investigators cleared their last hurdle before launching a probe that many hope will solve the mystery of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, meeting with a judge in Paris Monday after the arrival of a wing fragment that possibly belonged to the doomed aircraft.
- Official: Top Burundi general assassinated in the capital Updated: Aug-02-15 7:49 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - A Burundi general who was a key security ally of President Pierre Nkurunziza was killed Sunday in a drive-by shooting in the capital, Bujumbura, a presidential spokesman said.
- Rudisha on Kenya's team for worlds despite defeat at trials Updated: Aug-02-15 1:27 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Olympic champion David Rudisha is on Kenya's team for the athletics world championships in Beijing this month despite another defeat, this time at the national trials.
- Kibet, Ayalew win Maine road race Updated: Aug-01-15 3:44 pm
CAPE ELIZABETH, Maine - Stephen Kosgei Kibet of Kenya and Wude Ayalew of Ethiopia raced to victories Saturday in the Maine 10K road race founded by Olympic hero Joan Benoit Samuelson.
- Kibet, Ayalew win Maine road race Updated: Aug-01-15 3:06 pm
CAPE ELIZABETH, Maine - Stephen Kosgei Kibet of Kenya and Wude Ayalew of Ethiopia won the men's and women's divisions, respectively, in a Maine 10K road race Saturday founded by Olympic hero Joan Benoit Samuelson.
- Highly active volcano erupts on Reunion amid media frenzy Updated: Aug-01-15 10:16 am
PITON DE LA FOURNAISE, Reunion - Journalists arriving this week to the Indian Ocean island Reunion to report about the discovery of a jet wing fragment were met with another spectacular sight: the eruption of one of the Earth's most active volcanoes.
- Uganda leader, in power for 3 decades, seeks re-election Updated: Jul-31-15 1:04 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's long-serving president on Friday declared his bid for re-election in 2016, saying the country needs him to stick around to continue its economic development.
- Tracing back debris to find Flight 370 may prove impossible Updated: Jul-31-15 6:31 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - If it's confirmed that a wing fragment found on a remote island in the Indian Ocean is from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, lost more than 500 days ago, could scientists use their knowledge of ocean currents to trace back its path and pinpoint the bulk of the wreck?
- More than just Cecil; big troubles for king of the jungle Updated: Jul-31-15 3:40 am
WASHINGTON - The circle of life is closing in on the king of the jungle.
- Man describes find that could solve MH370 plane mystery Updated: Jul-30-15 4:28 pm
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion - Johnny Begue was out collecting stones on the French Indian Ocean island he calls home when he says he saw part of an airplane wing washed up in the sand.
- NBA in Africa? 'Stay tuned' for regular-season game Updated: Jul-30-15 11:53 am
JOHANNESBURG - The NBA is in Africa for an exhibition, and NBA Commissioner Adam Silver expects more important games to come.
- For some, hunting lions in Africa is the ultimate experience Updated: Jul-30-15 8:04 am
JOHANNESBURG - It is, for some well-heeled foreign visitors, the ultimate African experience: the thrill of hunting a lion, one of the so-called "Big Five" animals whose habitats are under increasing pressure from human encroachment. Now an American dentist's killing of a celebrity lion in Zimbabwe has triggered global revulsion, highlighting what critics say is an industry of trophy hunting that threatens vulnerable species across sub-Saharan Africa.
- Wildlife activist concern over oil on Uganda-Congo border Updated: Jul-30-15 7:37 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Activists are urging Uganda's government to reverse a decision to open for oil drilling a wildlife park on Uganda's border with Congo.
- The Latest: Possible plane debris being sent to France Updated: Jul-30-15 7:35 am
PARIS - Here are the latest developments on the Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared nearly a year and a half ago (all times local):
- Somalia president: No elections in 2016 Updated: Jul-30-15 6:11 am
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somalia's president is ruling out the possibility of holding elections that are due next year, citing security challenges stemming from an Islamic insurgency. Opposition parties charge that that his government is taking advantage of poor security to extend its mandate through postponement of elections.
- Relatives torn over possible 1st debris from missing MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 5:25 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Jacquita Gomes is torn about whether to believe that plane debris found more than 16 months after the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is the first concrete evidence that her husband is truly gone.
- US official: Plane debris in Indian Ocean same type as MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:37 am
WASHINGTON - Air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that aircraft debris found in the Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year, a U.S. official said Wednesday.
- Obama delivers frank words about Africa's problems Updated: Jul-28-15 4:49 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama arrived in East Africa with no big American aid packages, no ramped up U.S. military resources for fighting terror groups and no new initiatives with billions in government backing.
- Planned US ivory rules not fazing California Chinatown shops Updated: Jul-28-15 2:41 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Ivory dealers in San Francisco's Chinatown stood in their shop doors next to windows full of carved ivory tusks and trinkets, unfazed by proposed federal rules that the White House says go as far as possible to ban the U.S. trade of ivory from the world's endangered elephants.
- Critically endangered northern white rhino dies at Czech zoo Updated: Jul-28-15 1:55 pm
PRAGUE - One of the last five northern white rhinoceros left in the world has died.
- Obama draws criticism for saying Ethiopia is democratic Updated: Jul-28-15 12:59 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Some African activists have greeted President Barack Obama's remarks that Ethiopia has a democratically elected government with scorn and concern.