- Kenya track federation HQ under police protection Updated: May-25-16 3:42 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Already mired in doping and corruption scandals, Kenya's track and field federation has called in police to help guard its headquarters, fearing disgruntled athletes might try to take over the premises in protest for a second time.
- South Korea's president arrives in Ethiopia Updated: May-25-16 3:36 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - South Korea's President Park Geun-hye has arrived in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa on Wednesday night to start her three-nation visit to Africa.
- Judge: US man charged in Uganda counterfeit plot could flee Updated: May-25-16 1:26 pm
PITTSBURGH - An American deported from Uganda and charged in a massive counterfeiting scheme is a major flight risk and will remain jailed until he stands trial, a federal judge in Pennsylvania ruled.
- The Latest: Bail denied for man charged in counterfeiting Updated: May-25-16 1:18 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Latest on bail being denied for a man deported from Uganda and charged in counterfeiting scheme in that nation (all times local):
- 37 cities join Rockefeller Foundation resilience effort Updated: May-25-16 11:17 am
NEW YORK - Thirty-seven cities from Addis Ababa (AH'-dihs AH'-buh-bah), Ethiopia, to Yiwu (ee-oo), China, are rounding out a Rockefeller Foundation initiative that recognizes cities worldwide for working on physical, social and economic resilience.
- Kenya military: 21 al-Shabab extremists killed in ambush Updated: May-25-16 10:27 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan troops in Somalia killed 21 suspected al-Shabab extremists who were plotting an ambush in southern Somalia, said a Kenyan official.
- Burundi: 3 killed in violence linked to president's new term Updated: May-25-16 10:17 am
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Gunmen killed three people including a retired army colonel, in continuing violence associated with President Pierre Nkurunziza's extended time in power, an official and a relative of the deceased said Wednesday.
- UN happy Africa's rapid reaction force about to be reality Updated: May-24-16 6:22 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. peacekeeping chief said Tuesday that the United Nations - which has 80 percent of its peacekeepers deployed in Africa - is very happy that the African Union's long-awaited rapid reaction force will become a reality in July.
- 2 dead as Kenyan police attack electoral reform demos Updated: May-23-16 1:00 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - At least two people died Monday when Kenya's police shot, beat and tear gassed demonstrators across the country who called for the electoral commission to be dissolved due to allegations of bias and corruption.
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest after 2 die Updated: May-22-16 11:54 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Two Indian climbers have gone missing on Mount Everest, an expedition organizer said Sunday, a day after two deaths from apparent altitude sickness were reported, underscoring the risks on the world's highest mountain.
- Airports EgyptAir traveled through before crash Updated: May-20-16 5:38 pm
PARIS - The EgyptAir plane that crashed in the Mediterranean had flown through five airports in the 48 hours before it disappeared off radar screens. As authorities try to determine what went wrong, here's a look at airport security and safety at those five sites:
- UN Security Council visits Kenya to discuss Somalia Updated: May-20-16 1:19 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Members of the United Nations Security Council are urging Kenya's government not to forcibly evict refugees from a sprawling camp that is home to hundreds of thousands of Somalis.
- UN Security Council visits Somalia to support upcoming polls Updated: May-19-16 12:09 pm
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Members of the U.N. Security Council are visiting Somalia to support the country's upcoming elections as well as its efforts to defeat an insurgency by Islamic extremists.
- Ex-manager of Malawian orphanage admits sex abuse of orphans Updated: May-18-16 5:43 pm
MIDLAND, Texas - A Texas man who managed an orphanage in Malawi has pleaded guilty to sexually abusing orphans at the East African facility.
- Somaliland wants world recognition of its independence Updated: May-18-16 1:01 pm
HARGEISA, Somalia - The semi-autonomous region of Somaliland is renewing calls for international recognition of its self-declared independence from Somalia.
- Uganda: Opposition leader remanded to maximum security jail Updated: May-18-16 8:34 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's opposition leader was remanded Wednesday to a maximum security prison in the capital after being charged with treason for organizing protests against the re-election of long-time President Yoweri Museveni.
- Eritrean migrants find escape in Tel Aviv church Updated: May-18-16 2:57 am
TEL AVIV, Israel - Hundreds of faithful gather each week in the makeshift Savior of the World church. With its walls bedecked with Christian paraphernalia, it's an unlikely scene in the heart of the Jewish state, hidden in a non-descript building in a hardscrabble southern area of the Israeli city of Tel Aviv.
- Kenya: Photos of police violence spark international outrage Updated: May-17-16 5:20 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Widely viewed pictures and video of a protester being kicked by Kenyan riot police as he lay on the ground have caused a stir in this East Africa country, prompting debate on police brutality and civil rights.
- Uganda: President promotes his son to 2-star army general Updated: May-17-16 7:07 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's long-time president promoted his son to a two-star general, bolstering speculation that the son is being groomed to succeed his father.
- Ethiopia's tough running coach Woldemeskel Kostre dies at 69 Updated: May-17-16 6:08 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Woldemeskel Kostre, the Ethiopian distance running coach who trained greats like Haile Gebrselassie and Kenenisa Bekele and was renowned for his strict disciplinarian approach, has died. He was 69.
- Kenya: Police fire tear gas, make arrests during protests Updated: May-16-16 11:21 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenyan police fired tear gas on Monday to break up demonstrations urging electoral reforms ahead of general elections next year.
- Sweden: Refugee from Rwanda convicted in 1994 genocide Updated: May-16-16 10:43 am
STOCKHOLM - A Swedish citizen originally from Rwanda was sentenced to life in prison Monday for his role in the 1994 genocide in the African country.
- Uganda: Safety concerns for jailed opposition leader Updated: May-16-16 8:44 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - A lawyer for a detained opposition leader in Uganda says he is concerned for the safety of his client, who was charged with treason last week because of his anti-government protests.
- Rahman takes lead at Mauritius Open after Dodt's collapse Updated: May-14-16 2:20 pm
BEAU CHAMPS, Mauritius - Siddikur Rahman shot 69 to lead the Mauritius Open after the third round on Saturday as overnight leader Andrew Dodt dropped seven shots on the back nine.
- Gatlin wins 100m at Shanghai Diamond League Updated: May-14-16 10:48 am
SHANGHAI - American sprinter Justin Gatlin's preparations for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics got off to a solid start with a commanding win in the 100 meters at the Shanghai Diamond League meet on Saturday.