- Puerto Rico clears first hurdle with committee vote Updated: May-25-16 1:39 pm
WASHINGTON - A bipartisan deal to help Puerto Rico manage its crippling finances cleared its first hurdle Wednesday with approval from a Republican House committee.
- Lawsuit: Cubans who scaled Keys lighthouse should stay in US Updated: May-25-16 1:29 pm
MIAMI - A group of migrants who fled Cuba in a homemade boat and climbed onto a 136-year-old lighthouse off the Florida Keys should be allowed to stay in the U.S., according to a federal lawsuit filed on their behalf.
- New Orleans mayor to travel to Cuba for mayors' conference Updated: May-25-16 1:24 pm
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu is traveling next week to Cuba as part of a delegation of mayors from around the country.
- Secret recording in Brazil puts Senate leader on defensive Updated: May-25-16 10:08 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - A secretly recorded conversation shows the head of Brazil's Senate proposing to weaken one of the key tools prosecutors have used to trap politicians and businessmen in a sweeping corruption scandal.
- Autopsy: Man found in St. Martin pond died of drowning Updated: May-25-16 4:30 am
OCEAN SPRINGS, Mississippi - Officials say a man found dead in a pond near an apartment complex in St. Martin drowned.
- Italy, Netherlands and Sweden vie for Security Council seat Updated: May-24-16 11:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Italy, the Netherlands and Sweden all made their cases on Tuesday for why they should be elected to a non-permanent seat on the United Nations' most powerful body.
- Mexico City issues 6th smog alert but lifts it after rain Updated: May-24-16 10:22 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico City officials issued their sixth pollution alert of the year Tuesday, but lifted it a few hours later after thunderstorms reduced pollution in the skies above the capital.
- 2 more journalists go missing in lawless area of Colombia Updated: May-24-16 9:27 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Two more journalists were reported missing Tuesday in a lawless region where Colombian security forces were already carrying out an extensive search for a prominent Spanish journalist who disappeared over the weekend.
- Belt-tightening in Brazil aimed at fighting economic crisis Updated: May-24-16 7:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's acting president announced austerity measures Tuesday aimed at pulling Latin America's largest economy from its worst crisis in decades, warning that a failure to act will mean "extraordinary hardship" for future generations.
- Medals or mosquitoes? Zika still talk of Olympic golf Updated: May-24-16 6:09 pm
Olympic qualifying for golf ends in seven weeks, at which time players will have to determine if medals outweigh mosquitoes.
- Sartorius to expand pharmaceutical plant in Puerto Rico Updated: May-24-16 5:50 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor says pharmaceutical supplier Sartorius is investing $50 million to expand its plant in the U.S. territory and convert it to its main logistical hub for the Americas.
- Lawyer denies ex-rebel leader tied to attack on Haiti police Updated: May-24-16 5:45 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The lawyer for a Senate candidate and ex-rebel leader said Tuesday that his client had nothing to do with a deadly attack on a police station in southern Haiti this month.
- In final drive, Obama seeks better relations with US foes Updated: May-24-16 5:15 pm
WASHINGTON - In his final stretch as president, Barack Obama is driving the United States toward friendlier relations with longstanding adversaries, working to consign bitter enmities with Vietnam, Iran, Cuba and Myanmar to the history books.
- Police find 5 hacked-up bodies in Mexican Gulf coast state Updated: May-24-16 5:02 pm
MEXICO CITY - Authorities in the Gulf coast state of Veracruz found the hacked-up bodies of what appear to be five men along with a sign attributing the killings to a dispute between drug cartels, prosecutors said Tuesday.
- Wax figure of Neymar unveiled by Madame Tussauds Updated: May-24-16 4:42 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - Neymar couldn't help but laugh in amusement after taking a long look at the newly unveiled wax figure of himself.
- Sailors' nightmare in Rio Olympics: plastic bags, trash Updated: May-24-16 4:17 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - If you're the head of world sailing, this is your worst Olympic nightmare.
- Puerto Rico seeks power bill increase, sparking outrage Updated: May-24-16 3:56 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's heavily indebted electric company announced Tuesday that it is seeking a more than 20 percent increase in the island's already high power bills, sparking outrage among many who note the agency faces numerous corruption allegations.
- Ecuador vows to privatize airline to help rebuild from quake Updated: May-24-16 3:41 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa said he will partially privatize a state-run airline as damage from last month's earthquake compounds hardships facing the oil-dependent economy.
- Cuba to legalize small and medium-sized private businesses Updated: May-24-16 3:28 pm
HAVANA - Cuba announced Tuesday that it will legalize small- and medium-sized private businesses in a move that could significantly expand private enterprise in one of the world's last communist countries.
- State TV says 14 Russians on list for 2008 Olympic doping Updated: May-24-16 3:16 pm
MOSCOW - Ten medalists from the 2008 Beijing Olympics, including 2012 high jump champion Anna Chicherova, were among 14 Russians that tested positive in the reanalysis of their doping samples, state television reported Tuesday.
- Brazilian health minister updates IOC on anti-Zika measures Updated: May-24-16 1:46 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Brazil's health minister briefed IOC officials Tuesday on the steps being taken to combat the Zika virus ahead of the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
- European Space Agency puts 2 navigation satellites in orbit Updated: May-24-16 10:13 am
BERLIN - A rocket fired from French Guiana has lifted two satellites into orbit that will form part of Europe's rival to the U.S.-made Global Positioning System, or GPS.
- EU, Panama to discuss offshore accounts Updated: May-24-16 8:57 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union will have talks with Panamanian authorities on Wednesday in the wake of the offshore accounts scandal centering on people and multinationals stashing funds and avoid paying taxes, something which costs the EU billions a year.
- Defendant pleads guilty in stock, money-laundering scheme Updated: May-24-16 7:37 am
NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors in New York say a Belize resident has pleaded guilty to money laundering conspiracy for helping clients profit off illegal stock trades and then laundering more than $250 million.
- Springfield heroin trafficker sentenced to serve 9-10 years Updated: May-24-16 6:14 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - A 53-year-old native of the Dominican Republic who had been living illegally in Springfield has been sentenced to serve between nine and 10 years behind bars for trafficking heroin.