- Wambach says she just wants to win her last World Cup Updated: Jul-04-15 12:39 am
VANCOUVER, British Columbia. - With the title match looming, Abby Wambach isn't mincing words.
- Right to die: Colombian man ends life with government backup Updated: Jul-04-15 12:10 am
BOGOTA, Colombia - Dr. Gustavo Quintana walks out of a modest, two-floor apartment building in southern Bogota. Inside his black doctor's bag are vials containing anesthesia and muscle relaxants, a syringe and a rubber tourniquet. The man known in Colombia as Dr. Death has just ended the life of his 234th patient: a middle-aged woman suffering from incurable stomach cancer.
- Papal visit puts Andes presidents' eco-record under scrutiny Updated: Jul-04-15 12:09 am
AGUARAGUE NATIONAL PARK, Bolivia - In the vine-entangled forests of the Aguarague National Park, crude that seeped for decades out of abandoned wellheads saturates the soil and has stained the bedrock of creeks that provide water to the indigenous Guarani who live nearby.
- Police: Beltran Leyva cartel boss arrested in Mexico City Updated: Jul-04-15 12:05 am
MEXICO CITY - One of the leaders of the once-powerful Beltran Leyva drug cartel was arrested Friday in a trendy neighborhood in Mexico City, authorities said.
- Rio 2016 organizers unveil Olympic torch Updated: Jul-03-15 10:54 pm
BRASILIA, Brazil - Rio de Janeiro organizers unveiled the Olympic torch for the 2016 Games on Friday, saying it brings together "movement, innovation and Brazilian flavor."
- Dempsey, Chandler score as US beats Guatemala 4-0 Updated: Jul-03-15 10:50 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Clint Dempsey wants to look ahead to helping the U.S. defend its CONCACAF Gold Cup title and not back to his confrontation with a referee that caused American coach Jurgen Klinsmann to replace the fiery forward as captain for the tournament.
- Peru beats Paraguay 2-0 to finish 3rd in Copa America Updated: Jul-03-15 10:02 pm
CONCEPCION, Chile - Andre Carrillo and Paolo Guerrero each scored second-half goals to help Peru defeat Paraguay 2-0 in the third-place game at the Copa America on Friday.
- Braves land 2 16-year-old prospects from Dominican Republic Updated: Jul-03-15 9:03 pm
ATLANTA - The Atlanta Braves have agreed to terms with two 16-year-old players - shortstop Derian Cruz and outfielder Cristian Pache, both of the Dominican Republic.
- New Puerto Rico agencies to buy TRANs amid economic crisis Updated: Jul-03-15 7:06 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor signed a bill late Friday that allows certain public agencies to buy up to $400 million in tax and revenue anticipation notes as the government of the U.S. territory seeks more cash amid a worsening economic crisis.
- Mexico set to free founder of Michoacan vigilante movement Updated: Jul-03-15 5:11 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican authorities say they are near to freeing Jose Manuel Mireles, a founder of the self-defense movement that rose up to fight an entrenched drug cartel in the western state of Michoacan.
- El Salvador's 677 murders in June most since civil war Updated: Jul-03-15 4:41 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - The month of June saw 677 murders in El Salvador, more than in any other single month since the end of the country's civil war.
- UN leader offers assistance in Guyana-Venezuela dispute Updated: Jul-03-15 4:08 pm
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday offered assistance to resolve an escalating border dispute between Guyana and Venezuela.
- Cuba confirms defection of 2 baseball players during US trip Updated: Jul-03-15 3:33 pm
HAVANA - Two Cuban baseball players have defected while in the United States for a series of games against U.S. collegians, the island's official sports media confirmed.
- Colombia president says rebels likely carried out bombings Updated: Jul-03-15 2:50 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - President Juan Manuel Santos said Friday that Colombia's second-largest rebel group is likely to blame for two bomb blasts in the capital that wounded 10 and rattled city residents who have become unaccustomed in recent years to such acts of violence.
- Bahamas concerned about US ruling for resort developer Updated: Jul-03-15 1:20 pm
KINGSTON, Jamaica - The Bahamas attorney general expressed frustration Thursday with a decision by the developer of a $2.5 billion hotel-and-casino project in Nassau to file for bankruptcy protection in a U.S. court.
- Gasoline thefts in Mexico result in shortages at the pump Updated: Jul-03-15 11:20 am
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's state oil company says it is working to resupply gas stations in several states after days of shortages caused by an increase in fuel thefts from pipelines.
- 7-year-old wounded in firefight in Mexico dies Updated: Jul-03-15 10:25 am
CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico - Authorities in a northern Mexican state bordering Texas say a 7-year-old boy shot this week by a suspected criminal gang has died.
- Spain to ask Venezuela to extradite wanted ETA member Updated: Jul-03-15 9:43 am
MADRID - The Spanish government says it will ask Venezuela to extradite a convicted member of the armed Basque group ETA.
- Colombia striker Falcao joins Chelsea on season-long loan Updated: Jul-03-15 9:05 am
LONDON - Radamel Falcao has clinched a deal to stay in the English Premier League at champion Chelsea on a season-long loan from Monaco despite a lackluster stint at Manchester United.
- Border officers stop $3.2 million worth of pot in Arizona Updated: Jul-03-15 6:14 am
NOGALES, Arizona - Authorities at a port of entry in Nogales, Arizona, have stopped a shipment of nearly 6,500 pounds of marijuana.
- Brazilian refs sending message to players: Stop the whining! Updated: Jul-03-15 4:12 am
SAO PAULO - Brazilian referees are done with tolerating whining players.
- Copa America: Argentina, Chile trying to end title drought Updated: Jul-03-15 12:14 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - The South American title won't be the only thing at stake when Argentina and Chile meet in Saturday's Copa America final.
- 3 days before pope visit, Ecuador protests aim at president Updated: Jul-02-15 9:58 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Thousands of people turned out for protest marches across Ecuador on Thursday to call for the ouster of President Rafael Correa just three days before a visit by Pope Francis.
- Reigning Miss Universe rebukes Trump for his migrant remarks Updated: Jul-02-15 9:01 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - The reigning Miss Universe says Donald Trump, the beauty pageant's owner, was "hurtful and unfair" in his comments about Mexican migrants. But Paulina Vega of Colombia says she isn't giving up her crown.
- Rangers have deal with teen international prospect Taveras Updated: Jul-02-15 8:21 pm
ARLINGTON, Texas - The Texas Rangers have agreed to terms on a $2.1 million deal with switch-hitting teenager Leodys Taveras, one of the top international free agents.