- Gas blast injures 5 migrants held captive in Mexico house Updated: Feb-08-16 11:22 pm
CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico - A gas explosion ripped through a house where dozens of abducted migrants were being held captive in a city on the Texas border Monday, injuring five people, two of them gravely, Mexican authorities said.
- Obama asking Congress for emergency funding to combat Zika Updated: Feb-08-16 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is asking Congress for more than $1.8 billion in emergency funding to fight the Zika virus and the mosquitoes that spread it here and abroad, but says "there shouldn't be a panic on this."
- Mexico IDs human remains as youths missing in Veracruz Updated: Feb-08-16 9:37 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexican authorities say human remains discovered in the Gulf Coast state of Veracruz belong to two of five young people who disappeared last month.
- Prosecutors say gunmen kidnapped reporter in southern Mexico Updated: Feb-08-16 8:44 pm
MEXICO CITY - A reporter was dragged from her home by armed assailants before dawn Monday in southern Mexico and had not been seen since, authorities said.
- Mexico names new heads of Pemex, health, social security Updated: Feb-08-16 7:11 pm
MEXICO CITY - A U.S.-educated economist took up the reins of state oil company Petroleos Mexicanos in one of several Cabinet changes announced Monday by President Enrique Pena Nieto.
- Canada soccer head Montagliani to run for CONCACAF president Updated: Feb-08-16 5:48 pm
TORONTO - Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani says he is running for president of soccer's governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean, whose past three presidents have been charged with corruption by U.S. prosecutors.
- The Latest: Weather forecast called for storm-force winds Updated: Feb-08-16 5:16 pm
MIAMI - The Latest on a cruise ship that was damaged in bad weather in the Atlantic Ocean (all times local):
- Cruise ship that sailed in storm headed back to home port Updated: Feb-08-16 5:10 pm
MIAMI - A Royal Caribbean cruise ship ran into high winds and rough seas in the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday, forcing frightened passengers into their cabins overnight as their belongings flew about, waves rose as high as 30 feet, and winds howled outside. The cruise line says that although no one was injured and the ship suffered only minor damage, it's turning around and sailing back to its home port in New Jersey.
- No new trial for priest convicted of sex tourism with boys Updated: Feb-08-16 5:06 pm
PITTSBURGH - A priest who was convicted of sexually assaulting poor street children during missionary trips to Honduras and said federal prosecutors wrongly withheld evidence in his case won't get a new trial, a judge ruled.
- Peruvian dies after stepping on land mine at Chile border Updated: Feb-08-16 4:34 pm
LIMA, Peru - A Peruvian man was killed when he stepped on a land mine trying to cross the border illegally into Chile, authorities said Monday.
- Top Cuban player slips away with brother to join US majors Updated: Feb-08-16 3:27 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Star Cuban infielder Yulieski Gourriel and his younger brother slipped away from their hotel in the Dominican Republic early Monday in an apparent effort to launch careers in Major League Baseball.
- The Latest: No new trial for priest in sex tourism case Updated: Feb-08-16 3:20 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Latest on a federal judge's decision to reject an appeal of a Pennsylvania priest convicted of molesting Honduran street children (all times local):
- Almagro defeats Montanes to reach second round in Argentina Updated: Feb-08-16 3:06 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Nicolas Almagro of Spain advanced to the second round of the clay-court Argentina Open after defeating countryman Albert Montanes 6-3, 6-3.
- Pope's visit to violent Mexican city highlights broader ills Updated: Feb-08-16 12:19 pm
ECATEPEC, Mexico - One evening in September 2014, Mariana Yanez left her home in this crime-plagued Mexico City suburb saying she was going to make some photocopies. Then she vanished.
- Guest-worker program helps Louisiana seafood facilities Updated: Feb-08-16 12:09 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Congress' decision to quadruple the size of a guest-worker program might be described as a gift to Louisiana's seafood processing industry, which struggles to fill the seasonal jobs each year.
- Obama seeks $250M to help Puerto Rico fight Zika Updated: Feb-08-16 11:20 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - The Obama administration is seeking $250 million in federal funds to help Puerto Rico fight an increase in Zika cases after the governor declared a public health emergency.
- Tattoos on the rebound in Cuba after years underground Updated: Feb-08-16 12:03 am
HAVANA - Bent in concentration beneath the vaulted ceiling of his Old Havana studio, Mauro Coca draws a tropical bird in blue ink down the length of Julivic Marquez's arm.
- Haiti's president departs to make way for interim government Updated: Feb-07-16 10:30 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - President Michel Martelly made his farewell speech to Haiti as he departed office Sunday with no successor yet chosen because a runoff election was delayed for a second time last month amid violent protests and deep suspicions about vote rigging.
- Sebastian Munoz wins hometown Club Colombia Championship Updated: Feb-07-16 9:18 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Sebastian Munoz won his hometown Club Colombia Championship on Sunday for his first Web.com Tour victory, two-putting for birdie from 45 feet on the par-5 18th for a one-stroke victory.
- 2 killed, 8 injured in fire on Mexico offshore oil platform Updated: Feb-07-16 8:54 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's state oil company says a fire that erupted on an oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico killed two workers and injured eight.
- Mexico wins Caribbean Series with HR in 9th inning Updated: Feb-07-16 8:06 pm
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Jorge Vazquez hit a home run to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning Sunday, lifting Mexico's Mazatlan Venados to a 5-4 comeback victory over Venezuela's Aragua Tigres for the Caribbean Series championship.
- Report: Ford to build auto plant in Mexico Updated: Feb-07-16 6:26 pm
NEW YORK - Published reports are saying that Ford plans to build a new auto plant in Mexico, with plans to rev up production there.
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58 Updated: Feb-07-16 5:22 pm
TAMPA, Florida - There were a lot of things Larry Brown could appreciate about the way SMU played against South Florida on Sunday.
- Victor Estrella Burgos retains his Ecuador Open title Updated: Feb-07-16 3:54 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic rallied from a set down to beat Thomaz Bellucci of Brazil 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 on Sunday to retain his title on clay in the Ecuador Open in Quito.
- Pope Francis visit to celebrate Mexico's indigenous church Updated: Feb-07-16 1:53 pm
SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS, Mexico - Pope Francis' visit to the heavily indigenous Mexican state of Chiapas appears aimed at celebrating the region's "Indian church," a mix of Catholicism and indigenous culture once considered a thorn in the side of standard liturgy by the Vatican.