- Dominica declares disaster status after storm leaves 20 dead Updated: Aug-30-15 6:47 pm
ROSEAU, Dominica - Rescue teams worked Sunday to reopen roads to remote communities in Dominica after Tropical Storm Erika caused flooding and mudslides that killed at least 20 people and left more than 50 missing on the Caribbean island.
- Northern Indiana man hooks fish native to South America Updated: Aug-30-15 5:28 pm
PERU, Indiana - A fish native to South America being caught in Peru isn't unusual - unless it happens in Peru, Indiana.
- Usain Bolt points to Rio with more gold in his hands Updated: Aug-30-15 5:05 pm
BEIJING - Hard as this is to believe, there were questions about Usain Bolt when the world championships first started.
- Pope Francis a stranger to the US in many ways Updated: Aug-30-15 2:35 pm
NEW YORK - When Pope Francis sets foot on the tarmac at Andrews Air Force Base near Washington on Sept. 22, it won't just be his first time in the United States as pontiff. It will be his first time in the country - ever in his life.
- Texas beats Mexico 6-4 in Little League consolation game Updated: Aug-30-15 1:17 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Issac Garcia hit a three-run homer in the sixth inning to help Pearland, Texas, beat Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, 6-4 in Sunday's consolation game of the Little League World Series.
- The Latest: Coe gets to work right away as IAAF president Updated: Aug-30-15 1:05 pm
BEIJING - The Latest from the IAAF world championships (all times local):
- Moving on: US bobbles a relay, starts thinking about Rio Updated: Aug-30-15 12:59 pm
BEIJING - For the world's best sprinters, passing the baton in the 4x400 relay is about as easy as rolling out of bed in the morning.
- A 200-400 sprint double at Olympics could be waiting Felix Updated: Aug-30-15 11:35 am
BEIJING - If Allyson Felix feels tired now, just wait until next year.
- Brazil defeats US men 3-1 in the USA Volleyball Cup Updated: Aug-30-15 1:25 am
IRVINE, California - Ricardo Lucarelli's ace for match point gave top-ranked Brazil a 3-1 victory over the United States on Saturday night in the final match of the USA Volleyball Cup.
- Eckerd student arrives safe after 9-month-long sail with dog Updated: Aug-30-15 1:01 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - For nine months, 19-year-old Sally Gardiner-Smith sailed alone with only her cockapoo for company. She would go four or five days without speaking to another human.
- El Salvador officials deactivate powerful car bomb Updated: Aug-29-15 9:14 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - A powerful bomb was found in a car parked near El Salvador's security ministry, but experts were able to deactivate it, the country's defense minister said Saturday.
- Residents take canoes as Venezuela expands border closure Updated: Aug-29-15 8:47 pm
BOCA DEL GRITA, Venezuela - Venezuelans took to dugout canoes to shop in Colombia on Saturday as a government crackdown on smuggling and migrants cut off access to at least six border crossings key to the life of communities on both sides.
- Dominica digs out from storm damage that killed at least 20 Updated: Aug-29-15 6:16 pm
ROSEAU, Dominica - Rescue crews jumped off boats and trudged through mud, rocks and uprooted trees Saturday to reach communities cut off by a tropical storm that killed at least 20 people and left nearly 50 missing in the eastern Caribbean island of Dominica.
- Lawmakers urge lifting immunity of Guatemalan president Updated: Aug-29-15 6:04 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A legislative commission on Saturday urged Guatemala's congress to lift President Otto Perez Molina's immunity from prosecution in a corruption case that has already seen his former vice president jailed and much of his cabinet resign.
- Japan beats Mexico 1-0 at Little League World Series Updated: Aug-29-15 4:35 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Yugo Aoki singled for Tokyo's first hit in the seventh inning, and then scored on a fielder's choice to help Japan beat Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, 1-0 on Saturday for a spot in the championship game of the Little League World Series.
- Activist: thousands of fish dead near Olympic Park in Brazil Updated: Aug-29-15 3:35 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian environmentalist and biologist Mario Moscatelli says sewage has killed at least a ton of fish in a lagoon next to the Olympic Park that will host many Rio 2016 events.
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency Updated: Aug-29-15 2:08 pm
ATLANTA - To Azaratu Zakaria, Jimmy Carter's battle against the Guinea worm is represented by a scar.
- Vatican: Heart attack killed ex-envoy charged with sex abuse Updated: Aug-29-15 11:46 am
VATICAN CITY - The former papal envoy to the Dominican Republic, who went on trial at the Holy See this summer for alleged sexual abuse of minors, died of a heart attack, according to initial autopsy results, the Vatican said Saturday.
- Eugene's 'Birdman' nearing record for bird species seen Updated: Aug-29-15 6:14 am
EUGENE, Oregon - Ever since avid birdwatcher Noah Strycker read the Guinness World Records book long ago, he knew he wanted to set a world record.
- Officials urge residents to stay prepared tropical storm Updated: Aug-29-15 2:52 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - Tropical Storm Erika may be getting weaker, but Florida officials still want residents to be prepared.
- Brazil recession: GDP plunges 1.9 percent in second quarter Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The bottom seems to have fallen out of Brazil's economy, with the government reporting Friday that the gross domestic product plunged 1.9 percent in the second quarter alone, once again throwing the nation into a technical recession.
- Venezuela extends border closure despite Colombia's protests Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro on Friday broadened a crackdown on Colombian migrants and border smugglers that has drawn strong rebuke by Colombian leaders and international organizations.
- Money laundering probe in case of Argentine prosecutor Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - An Argentine judge on Friday authorized a money laundering probe involving the prosecutor who died mysteriously while investigating the bombing of a Jewish center.
- Haiti probes robbery as possible motive in killing of ex-cop Updated: Aug-28-15 6:01 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Authorities in Haiti say three men on a motorcycle have shot and killed a former national police director and a retired Boston police officer, and they say robbery could be a motive.
- Judge releases Argentine businessmen held in FIFA scandal Updated: Aug-28-15 5:30 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Two Argentine businessmen who were arrested in connection with the FIFA corruption scandal have been released from prison until an ongoing extradition proceeding to the United States is resolved.