- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- Former America's Cup sailor sues champion Oracle Team USA Updated: Aug-01-15 12:29 am
SAN DIEGO - A former America's Cup sailor is suing two-time defending champion Oracle Team USA for $400,000 for failing to fire or suspend a crewmate during the biggest cheating scandal in regatta history.
- Hopes high wing flap will shed light on Flight 370 mystery Updated: Jul-31-15 1:37 pm
SAINT-ANDRE, Reunion - Under a microscope and expert eyes, the wing fragment that washed up on the beach of this volcanic island could yield clues not just to its path through the Indian Ocean, but also to what happened to the airplane it belonged to.
- Tracing back debris to find Flight 370 may prove impossible Updated: Jul-31-15 6:31 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - If it's confirmed that a wing fragment found on a remote island in the Indian Ocean is from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, lost more than 500 days ago, could scientists use their knowledge of ocean currents to trace back its path and pinpoint the bulk of the wreck?
- Surfer seriously injured in Australian shark attack Updated: Jul-31-15 3:53 am
SYDNEY - A surfer was seriously injured as he repeatedly punched a shark that mauled him off the Australian east coast on Friday, less than a week after a fatal attack, police and a witness said.
- New Zealand appeals Olympics disqualification Updated: Jul-31-15 2:50 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand Football has appealed the disqualification of its Under-23 team from the Oceania Olympic qualifying tournament for use of an ineligible player.
- Australian seated beside overweight passenger sues Etihad Updated: Jul-31-15 2:46 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Etihad Airways said Friday that it will continue to fight a lawsuit by a passenger who says he was left with back pain because he was seated beside an overweight man on a 14-hour flight from the United Arab Emirates to Sydney.
- AP investigation prompts new round of slave rescues Updated: Jul-30-15 11:56 pm
Authorities in Papua New Guinea have rescued eight fishermen held on board a Thai-owned refrigerated cargo ship, and dozens of other boats are still being sought in response to an Associated Press report that included satellite photos and locations of slave vessels at sea.
- Surfer seriously injured in Australian shark attack Updated: Jul-30-15 10:26 pm
SYDNEY - A surfer was seriously injured as he fought a shark off the Australian east coast on Friday, less than a week after a fatal attack, police said.
- Relatives torn over possible 1st debris from missing MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 5:25 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Jacquita Gomes is torn about whether to believe that plane debris found more than 16 months after the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is the first concrete evidence that her husband is truly gone.
- Madeleine McCann ruled out as girl found dead in Australia Updated: Jul-30-15 12:38 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - The decomposed remains of a young girl found in a suitcase dumped in Australia do not belong to missing British girl Madeleine McCann, police say.
- US official: Plane debris in Indian Ocean same type as MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:37 am
WASHINGTON - Air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that aircraft debris found in the Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year, a U.S. official said Wednesday.
- Searcher says wing find won't change MH370 seabed search Updated: Jul-29-15 8:55 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The discovery of a piece of aircraft wing on an island in the western Indian Ocean is unlikely to alter the seabed search for a missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner in the southern Indian Ocean, the search leader said Thursday.
- WWII pilot's remains arrive in NY for burial in his hometown Updated: Jul-29-15 1:54 pm
ALBANY, New York - While growing up in central New York, Mark Shoemaker heard plenty of stories from family members about his Uncle Eddie, a World War II fighter pilot who never returned from the Pacific Theater.
- Booing has Australian footballer Goodes considering quitting Updated: Jul-29-15 6:11 am
Few athletes have the credentials to challenge Adam Goodes for the mantle of being THE Australian sportsman, which is why a racism debate is raging Down Under.
- Sydney man arrested in 30-year-old shooting, bombing case Updated: Jul-29-15 5:47 am
SYDNEY - More than 30 years after a series of bombings and shootings in Sydney left four people dead, police have arrested a 68-year-old suspect in a case that terrorized Australia's legal fraternity.
- 8 Australian men charged with 500 sex offenses against girl Updated: Jul-29-15 3:55 am
PERTH, Australia - An Australian man was accused Wednesday of allowing seven men to sexually abuse his 13-year-old daughter over the past two years, with police charging all eight men with more than 500 child sex offenses.
- 5 things to know about artificial intelligence and its use Updated: Jul-28-15 6:11 pm
WASHINGTON - In the sci-fi thriller "Ex Machina," the wonders and dangers of artificial intelligence are embodied in a beautiful, cunning android named Ava. She puts her electronic smarts to work with frightening results, manipulating and outwitting her human handlers.
- Guam airport completes runway expansion Updated: Jul-28-15 9:05 am
HAGATNA, Guam - Guam is looking for airline partners to fly direct from the island to the U.S. West Coast now that it has completed construction of a longer runway.
- Loss-making AirAsia X aims to be profitable by year-end Updated: Jul-28-15 6:28 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X said Tuesday it expects to return to operational profit by the end of the year and is open to foreign investment.
- Australian charged after police say he planned to fight IS Updated: Jul-27-15 10:34 pm
SYDNEY - An Australian man appeared in court Tuesday on terror charges after police say he tried to join Kurdish-aligned forces battling the Islamic State group in Iraq.
- Worldwide strengthening El Nino giveth and taketh away Updated: Jul-27-15 4:37 pm
WASHINGTON - In California, they're counting on it to end an historic drought; in Peru, they've already declared a pre-emptive emergency to prepare for devastating flooding. It's both an economic stimulus and a recession-maker. And it's likely to increase the price of coffee, chocolate and sugar.
- AP Exclusive: AP tracks slave boats to Papua New Guinea Updated: Jul-27-15 9:16 am
YANGON, Myanmar - From space, the fishing boats are just little white specks floating in a vast stretch of blue water off Papua New Guinea. But zoom in and there's the critical evidence: Two trawlers loading slave-caught seafood onto a massive refrigerated cargo ship.
- Steven Adams unavailable for New Zealand national team Updated: Jul-27-15 2:26 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Oklahoma City Thunder center Steven Adams has made himself unavailable for New Zealand's Oceania Olympic basketball qualifying series against Australia next month.
- Remains of 36 unidentified Marines from WWII battle return Updated: Jul-27-15 1:55 am
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii - The military and a private organization have brought home the remains of 36 Marines killed in one of World War II's bloodiest battles.