- US routs New Zealand 4-0 to advance at Under-20 World Cup Updated: Jun-02-15 11:48 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Rubio Rubin scored twice around goals by Emerson Hyndman and Paul Arriola, and the United States routed host New Zealand 4-0 Tuesday at Wellington to become the first team to reach the second round of the Under-20 World Cup.
- Mourinho says striker Diego Costa is happy at Chelsea Updated: Jun-02-15 9:39 am
SYDNEY - Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says striker Diego Costa is happy at Chelsea despite reports saying he wants to go back to Spain.
- Full-strength Chelsea down Sydney FC 1-0 in Olympic Stadium Updated: Jun-02-15 8:40 am
SYDNEY - English Premier League champion Chelsea beat Sydney FC 1-0 at a sold-out Olympic Stadium in Sydney and capped off a successful Asian tour on Tuesday.
- Man at work: Aussie guard Dellavedova sparks Cavs with grit Updated: Jun-01-15 8:50 pm
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio - The kid was fearless, relentless, a hustler.
- Australian opposition party proposes gay marriage law Updated: Jun-01-15 6:13 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's political opposition hopes to harness momentum from the Irish gay marriage referendum after it proposed a law Monday that would recognize same-sex marriages, which the country's conservative prime minister opposes.
- Brazil beats Nigeria, Germany routs Fiji at U20 World Cup Updated: Jun-01-15 2:48 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Striker Judivan scored twice as Brazil beat Nigeria 4-2 on Monday in a thrilling start to its FIFA Under-20 World Cup campaign.
- Chelsea makes rare trip Down Under for match against Sydney Updated: May-31-15 1:59 am
SYDNEY - Premier League champion Chelsea arrived in Sydney on Sunday for Tuesday's 83,500 sellout match at the Olympic stadium, the English side's first trip to Australia in 41 years.
- Sepp Blatter makes special mention of his Oceania support Updated: May-30-15 6:45 am
Sepp Blatter had no sooner been returned as president of FIFA during a controversy-filled week when he took time Friday to thank his friends in the most remote and smallest of the six international football confederations.
- US rescinds ban on military sales to Fiji Updated: May-29-15 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States has rescinded a ban on sales of military equipment to the South Pacific island nation of Fiji.
- Man arrested a day after being released from jail Updated: May-29-15 7:59 am
HAGATNA, Guam - A man has been arrested a day after being released from jail for allegedly attacking the same woman he was convicted of victimizing.
- New stars likely to be found at Under-20 World Cup in NZ Updated: May-29-15 1:29 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A world away from the turmoil of corruption and political infighting plaguing soccer, there will be a reminder this weekend of what is best about the game - the talent showcase of the Under-20 World Cup.
- Ghana, Nigeria lead African challenge at Under-20 World Cup Updated: May-28-15 10:03 pm
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - While Africa's senior teams have struggled to make an impact at the World Cup, the juniors have had considerable success.
- 5 Players to watch at the Under-20 World Cup Updated: May-28-15 12:57 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Five players to watch at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, which kicks off Saturday in New Zealand:
- Court employee fired over dismissed rape case Updated: May-28-15 8:00 am
HAGATNA, Guam - A Superior Court of Guam clerk has been fired after a rape case was dismissed because it hadn't been placed on the court calendar for trial.
- Myanmar's month of milestones on international soccer stage Updated: May-28-15 3:32 am
For Myanmar's fledgling soccer squad, it doesn't get much better than this.
- Things to know about the Under-20 World Cup Updated: May-28-15 3:24 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The under-20 World Cup kicks off Saturday in New Zealand and will likely feature some of the stars of the future. Here's some things to know:
- Boat people talks: Key issues and expectations Updated: May-28-15 2:46 am
BANGKOK - In the past month, more than 3,000 desperate, hungry people have landed on the shores of Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, drawing international attention to a crisis in Southeast Asia. Arrivals of the overcrowded boats - crammed with Rohingya Muslims fleeing persecution in Myanmar and impoverished Bangladeshis hoping to find jobs - have now slowed. But the crisis is far from over, and will be the topic of a Friday conference in Bangkok to be attended by senior officials from across the Asia-Pacific and beyond.
- Organizers: U20 World Cup unaffected by FIFA investigation Updated: May-28-15 1:58 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Football New Zealand doesn't expect the arrests of some leading FIFA executives on corruption charges to have any impact on the Under-20 World Cup, which kicks off Saturday.
- Failed Australian bid questioned with new FIFA controversy Updated: May-27-15 10:20 pm
Australia spent about $40 million in an attempt to host the 2022 World Cup, an ultimately futile bid which received just one vote when the tournament was awarded to Qatar.
- 9 DOC officers placed on leave after detainee escape Updated: May-27-15 10:23 am
HAGATNA, Guam - An investigation into a detainee's escape has put nine Department of Corrections officers on paid administrative leave.
- Australian boy in Syria creates quandary for government Updated: May-27-15 8:29 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A 7-year-old Australian boy who horrified the world a year ago when he was photographed holding the severed head of a Syrian soldier by the hair has created a quandary for the government, which wants to make scores of Australian fighters in the Middle East someone else's problem by revoking their citizenship.
- Navy ships to leave Hawaii for humanitarian deployment Updated: May-27-15 12:06 am
HONOLULU - Two Navy ships are leaving Hawaii on a four-month deployment to Southeast Asia and several small Pacific island states to help countries better respond to disasters.
- Detroit Zoo sends snails back to Tahiti to restore species Updated: May-26-15 8:26 pm
ROYAL OAK, Michigan - One hundred endangered snails are on their way to Tahiti to restore a species that became extinct in the wild, the Detroit Zoo said Tuesday.
- Aloisi takes over as head coach of Brisbane Roar in A-League Updated: May-26-15 5:38 am
BRISBANE, Australia - Three-time A-League champion Brisbane Roar has hired ex-Australia forward John Aloisi as head coach for next season, with one of his first assignments set to be against Liverpool in a friendly on July 17.
- California looks to Australia for tips on surviving drought Updated: May-25-15 9:32 pm
SYDNEY - California has turned to the world's driest inhabited continent for solutions to its longest and sharpest drought on record.