- Adam Scott playing well ahead of Australian Open Updated: Nov-24-15 10:27 pm
SYDNEY - Adam Scott said the Australian Golf Club, which will host the Australian Open beginning Thursday, might be in the best shape of any course he's played this year. His score in Wednesday's pro-am might have made him feel that way.
- Lauren Jackson's recovery from knee surgery hits setback Updated: Nov-24-15 10:05 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Three-time WNBA Most Valuable Player Lauren Jackson has hit a setback in her goal to play for Australia at the 2016 Summer Olympics and may consider retirement.
- Australia calls for restraint after Russian plane shot down Updated: Nov-24-15 7:19 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister on Wednesday called for Russia and Turkey to show restraint over the shooting down of as Russian jet fighter near the Syria-Turkey border, adding Australia is paying close attention to the safety of Australian pilots over Syria.
- Obama to meet with leaders of China, India at climate summit Updated: Nov-24-15 4:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is hoping to generate early momentum for international climate talks in Paris next week by holding one-on-one meetings there with the leaders of China and India.
- Australia leader talks down prospect of US-led army in Syria Updated: Nov-24-15 5:36 am
CANBERRA, Australia - There is no support among world leaders for the prospect of a U.S.-led army in Iraq and Syria to take back ground from Islamic State militants, Australia's prime minister said Tuesday.
- New Zealand extradition hearing against Kim Dotcom ends Updated: Nov-24-15 5:31 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A court hearing in New Zealand on whether to extradite Kim Dotcom and three others who helped run the website Megaupload to the United States ended Tuesday after nine weeks of arguments.
- Count Jordan Spieth as a likely Rio Olympics starter in 2016 Updated: Nov-24-15 12:35 am
SYDNEY - Jordan Spieth and Adam Scott, the two headliners at this week's Australian Open, have distinctly different excitement levels over next year's Rio Olympics golf tournament.
- MH370 hunt moves to where British pilot believes it crashed Updated: Nov-23-15 4:30 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The deep sea hunt for a missing Malaysian airliner has shifted to a remote part of the Indian Ocean where a British pilot has calculated that the Boeing 777 made a controlled ditching last year with 239 people aboard, officials said Monday.
- Australia says checks on Syrian refugees could take a year Updated: Nov-22-15 10:56 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The Australian government remained committed to resettling 12,000 Syrian refugees, but security checks could take more than a year, officials said Monday.
- Adelaide, Jets in scoreless draw in goal-starved A-League Updated: Nov-22-15 3:32 am
ADELAIDE, Australia - Adelaide United and Newcastle Jets played to a scoreless draw in the A-League on Sunday in a seventh round where goals were hard to come by.
- Senior the "senior" wins Australian Masters with closing 68 Updated: Nov-22-15 2:39 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Peter Senior claimed his third Australian Masters title on Sunday and set another age record in his home country as the 56-year-old shot a final-round 3-under 68 for a two-stroke victory.
- 4 Brits, 2 Australians die in New Zealand chopper crash Updated: Nov-21-15 9:04 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Four tourists from Britain and two from Australia are among seven people who died when a helicopter crashed on a scenic New Zealand glacier, police said.
- Reel is driven to inspire Updated: Nov-20-15 2:10 pm
HAGATNA, Guam - Desiree Reel has several tattoos, and each represents an important point in her life.
- Meet the 3 new Illusionists to appear on Broadway Updated: Nov-20-15 10:32 am
NEW YORK - The magic super group "The Illusionists" has reappeared on Broadway this fall and three new acts are among the seven performers. Here's a look at them:
- England hires Eddie Jones as its 1st overseas rugby coach Updated: Nov-20-15 9:25 am
England turned to the man who masterminded arguably the biggest upset in rugby history to revive its national team on Friday, hiring Eddie Jones on a four-year deal as the country's first foreign-born coach.
- Australian whale-watcher body's recovered Updated: Nov-19-15 5:07 pm
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - The body of an Australian man missing since a whale-watching boat capsized last month was recovered off Canada's Pacific Coast, the British Columbia Coroners Service said Thursday.
- Foreign owner ban scuttles Australia's biggest land sale Updated: Nov-19-15 9:21 am
CANBERRA, Australia - A government ban on foreign investors buying a pioneering dynasty's collection of cattle ranches has scuttled Australia's biggest land sale, an official said on Friday.
- All Blacks captain McCaw confirms his retirement from rugby Updated: Nov-19-15 6:08 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - All Blacks captain Richie McCaw made it official: He's retiring from all rugby after a record 148 test matches across a 15-year international career capped with back-to-back World Cup titles.
- Australia leader defends port leasing to Chinese company Updated: Nov-19-15 3:43 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister on Thursday defended the leasing of a strategically important port to a Chinese company, saying the military could seize control in a crisis.
- OECD countries to limit overseas financing for coal plants Updated: Nov-18-15 10:06 pm
TOKYO - A compromise struck by the United States, Japan and other major nations will restrict export financing to build coal power plants overseas, but not eliminate it completely.
- Rugby world mourns death of Lomu, the game's 1st superstar Updated: Nov-18-15 7:04 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The worshippers gathered at the Lotofale'ia Mangere Tongan Church in the South Auckland suburb where Jonah Lomu was raised grieved for the man who put their community on the international map as he strode or barged his way to becoming the first genuinely global super star of rugby.
- Lomu, who revolutionized rugby with size, speed, dies at 40 Updated: Nov-18-15 6:42 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - More by instinct than choice and off balance after fending off two desperate defenders, Jonah Lomu barreled straight over the top of a crouching Mike Catt, leaving the battered England fullback sprawling on his back as the All Black sprinted to the try line.
- Fans, friends, old rivals saddened by death of Jonah Lomu Updated: Nov-18-15 6:18 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Jonah Lomu's huge impact on the game of rugby and his fame, which spilled beyond the sport's traditional borders, was reflected in the breadth of tributes Wednesday after his unexpected death at the age of 40.
- Australian court fines Japanese whaling company for contempt Updated: Nov-18-15 3:42 am
SYDNEY - An Australian court fined a Japanese whaling company 1 million Australian dollars ($700,000) on Wednesday for violating a court order that it stop hunting whales in an area off Antarctica.
- 4 killed in wildfires raging across Australia's southwest Updated: Nov-17-15 8:19 pm
SYDNEY - Wildfires raging across southwest Australia killed four people, officials said Wednesday, as a blistering heat wave swept through the country.