- Alleged Syrian war recruiter loses Sydney court challenge Updated: Aug-27-15 12:47 am
SYDNEY - A Sydney man accused of recruiting foreign fighters to battle the Syrian regime lost a court challenge on Thursday to the Australian law that he was charged with breaking.
- Search for MH370 may ramp up soon with new sonar equipment Updated: Aug-26-15 7:19 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The deep sea hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner will likely include cutting-edge sonar equipment when it ramps up again in October after the stormy southern hemisphere winter has passed, the Australian search leader said Wednesday.
- Wallabies to train at University of Notre Dame Updated: Aug-25-15 8:38 pm
SYDNEY - Australia will use the University of Notre Dame as a training base ahead of the Rugby World Cup.
- Air New Zealand's annual profit up 24 percent as it expands Updated: Aug-25-15 8:02 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand's national airline on Wednesday posted a 24 percent jump in annual profit after benefiting from lower fuel costs and continuing its expansion in Asia and North America.
- BHP posts 86 percent profit drop as commodity prices tumble Updated: Aug-25-15 5:46 am
SYDNEY - BHP Billiton, the world's biggest miner, reported an 86 percent drop in annual profit on Tuesday amid plummeting commodity prices, as the company warned that China's slowing economy would lead to further market volatility.
- Burwash leads Bowling Green, Kentucky, at LLWS Updated: Aug-24-15 10:59 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Eli Burwash scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the fifth inning then earned the save pitching as Bowling Green, Kentucky, avoided elimination Monday at the Little League World Series by beating Taylors, South Carolina, 4-3.
- Record wildfire in Washington gets international, local help Updated: Aug-24-15 10:19 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - As Washington state's wildfires burned into the record books Monday, calls for help were answered from far and near.
- The Latest: Crews fight fire near Montana highway Updated: Aug-24-15 4:07 pm
OKANOGAN, Washington - The latest on wildfires in the West (all times local):
- Mexico scores 9 in 1st inning to eliminate Australia at LLWS Updated: Aug-24-15 4:02 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Mexico scored nine runs in the first inning to eliminate Australia from the Little League World Series, winning 14-3 in four innings on Monday.
- Hugh Jackman plans Australian concert tour Updated: Aug-24-15 6:31 am
SYDNEY - Hugh Jackman is knocking an item off his bucket list.
- Australia's Rohan Dennis wins USA Pro Challenge Updated: Aug-23-15 7:39 pm
DENVER - Australia's Rohan Dennis won the USA Pro Challenge on Sunday, finishing in the main pack to take the overall title by 40 seconds over teammate Brent Bookwalter of the United States.
- Iran coach says Guam visa hassles nothing to do with soccer Updated: Aug-23-15 4:12 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Iran coach Carlos Queiroz says the frustrations faced by the tiny Pacific island of Guam in obtaining visas to travel to Tehran for a World Cup qualifier next month give just a glimpse of the problems long faced by his team in negotiating international soccer.
- Australia tops Dominican Republic 3-0 on consecutive homers Updated: Aug-22-15 4:24 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Jake Burns and Blake Cavill hit back-to-back home runs in the sixth inning and Australia beat the Dominican Republic 3-0 on Saturday at the Little League World Series.
- Shark seriously injures surfer off Australia's east coast Updated: Aug-22-15 6:40 am
SYDNEY - A shark seriously injured a surfer Saturday as a spate of attacks continued on Australia's central east coast.
- Fernandez homers, Venezuela beats Australia 5-2 in LLWS Updated: Aug-21-15 3:39 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Yeiner Fernandez hit a three-run home run in the top of the sixth inning as Venezuela opened its Little League World Series with a 5-2 victory over Australia on Friday.
- Australia considers US request to bomb IS targets in Syria Updated: Aug-21-15 3:31 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia is considering a U.S. request to launch airstrikes against Islamic State fighters in Syria in an unprecedented departure from Australian foreign policy that could spark political disputes.
- Ex-college basketball player to make history Down Under Updated: Aug-21-15 2:12 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - Jason Holmes will make a bit of American sporting history this weekend, when he becomes the first U.S. born-and-raised player to compete at the top level of Australian rules football.
- Leonardo Santiago to join Newcastle in A-League Updated: Aug-21-15 12:30 am
SYDNEY - Former Feyenoord and Ajax midfielder Leonardo has agreed to join Newcastle in Australian football's A-League on a one-year contract.
- Australian 'Prisoner' star avoids jail for child sex abuse Updated: Aug-20-15 11:41 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Actress Maggie Kirkpatrick, who played a sadistic prison warden nicknamed "The Freak" in an Australian soap opera, avoided jail on Friday when she was sentenced for molesting a 14-year-old devoted fan of the series more than 30 years ago.
- Visa flap may sink World Cup qualifying match for Guam Updated: Aug-20-15 11:36 pm
HAGATNA, Guam - Visas for members of the Guam national soccer team to enter Iran have been delayed two weeks ahead of a qualifying match, leaving a Guam official to say political tensions between the U.S. and the Islamic republic shouldn't affect sports.
- Evidence of infidelities spreads online in wake of hack Updated: Aug-20-15 8:10 pm
LONDON - Husbands and wives across the world are being confronted with their partners' extramarital affairs after a catastrophic leak at adultery website Ashley Madison spewed electronic evidence of infidelity across the Internet.
- Australia, New Zealand sending firefighters to US Updated: Aug-20-15 6:31 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Australia and New Zealand are sending firefighters to help battle wildfires burning in the western United States.
- 5 suspected jihadis attempt twice to leave Sydney for Syria Updated: Aug-20-15 5:01 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Five young men have become the largest single group of suspected jihadis to attempt to leave Australia for Syria and Iraq. But they were stopped twice on consecutive days last week by counterterrorism officials at Sydney International Airport, a minister said Friday.
- Qantas records $409 million profit after $2.6 billion loss Updated: Aug-20-15 1:31 am
SYDNEY - Qantas Airways Ltd. posted a 557 million Australian dollar ($409 million) full-year profit on Thursday in a dramatic turnaround since it recorded a $2.6 billion loss in the previous year.
- Scientists create 360-degree images of Hawaii coral reefs Updated: Aug-19-15 10:34 pm
HONOLULU - Alongside the lush and steep windward coast of the Hawaii island of Oahu researchers are creating images of coral reefs that are in danger of dying because of warm ocean waters.