- Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting Erdogan Updated: May-31-16 10:04 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A court on Tuesday convicted a former Miss Turkey of insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan through social media postings and gave her a 14-month suspended sentence, amid deepening concerns that the country is swaying toward an increasingly authoritarian form of rule.
- Turkish leader Erdogan rejects family planning for Muslims Updated: May-30-16 7:14 am
ISTANBUL - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has spoken out against birth control and family planning, saying they go against Muslim traditions.
- Turkey president raps US, Russia, Iran for presence in Syria Updated: May-29-16 2:01 pm
ISTANBUL - Turkey's president has criticized the United States, Russia and Iran for their presence in Syria and said their unwillingness to depose Syrian President Bashar Assad was contributing to Syrians' pain.
- Cyprus president ready for peace talks after UN spat over Updated: May-27-16 7:58 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - Talks to reunify the ethnically divided island of Cyprus appear to be back on track after its president said he's ready to pick up where things left off following a halt after a perceived attempt to diplomatically upgrade the island's breakaway Turkish Cypriot north.
- Turkish flight to London makes emergency landing in Belgrade Updated: May-26-16 7:03 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Officials say a Turkish Airlines jet on a flight from Istanbul to London has made an emergency landing in Belgrade after an unaccounted-for tablet was located on board.
- UN laments absence of G-7 from key humanitarian summit Updated: May-24-16 1:46 pm
ISTANBUL, Turkey - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday criticized the leaders of the world's wealthiest countries for failing to attend a pivotal humanitarian summit in Turkey which culminated with a long list of commitments and question marks over their implementation.
- Turkey: plane searched over bomb threat Updated: May-23-16 12:10 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish Airlines says authorities at Istanbul's main airport have searched a plane bound for the central Turkish city of Kayseri over a bomb threat, the latest in a series of hoax scares targeting the company.
- UN creates education fund for refugee children Updated: May-16-16 4:55 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Former British Prime Minster Gordon Brown on Monday announced the creation of the United Nations' first humanitarian fund for the education of refugee children.
- Night-time blast wounds 4 in Istanbul Updated: May-16-16 3:19 am
ISTANBUL - Turkey's state-run news agency says four people were wounded overnight when a homemade device exploded in Istanbul.
- International Modest Fashion Week takes off in Turkey Updated: May-13-16 12:43 pm
ISTANBUL - Spring colors, breezy fabrics, high necklines and long hemlines: The International Modest Fashion Week opened Friday in Istanbul as Turkey sought to be seen as a creative hotspot for conservative wear around the world.
- Tokyo 2020 bid: Payments were 'legitimate' consulting fees Updated: May-13-16 8:23 am
TOKYO - Leaders of Tokyo's winning bid for the 2020 Olympics acknowledged Friday making payments to a firm in Singapore, but said the funds were for legitimate consulting fees and maintained that all bid activities were "fair and correct."
- Official: 4 Kurdish rebels killed in blast in Turkey Updated: May-12-16 5:11 pm
ISTANBUL - A Turkish official said four Kurdish rebels were killed while loading explosives onto a truck in southeastern Turkey on Thursday, hours after a separate blast targeting the military in Istanbul wounded eight.
- Prosecutor in Kosovo charges 2 with Syria terror offenses Updated: May-06-16 11:14 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo - A Kosovo prosecutor has charged two ethnic Albanians with terror offenses for allegedly joining an Islamic group in Syria.
- Kosovo airport shuts after flight leaves runway on landing Updated: May-02-16 3:55 pm
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Kosovo's main airport says it has temporarily shut down after a Turkish Airlines flight appeared to have overshot a runway while landing in rainy weather.
- Trade unions hold rallies to mark May Day; clashes Updated: May-01-16 6:19 pm
Trade unions and other groups are staging rallies around the world to mark International Workers Day. A look at some May Day events:
- Diego Schwartzman of Argentina rallies to win Istanbul Open Updated: May-01-16 3:10 pm
ISTANBUL - Unseeded Diego Schwartzman staged a stunning comeback Sunday to upset second-seeded Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria 6-7 (5), 7-6 (4), 6-0 and claim his maiden ATP Tour title at the Istanbul Open.