- Tsurenko beats Radwanska to win Istanbul Cup Updated: Jul-26-15 7:03 pm
ISTANBUL - Lesia Tsurenko won her first WTA Tour title on Sunday after beating Urszula Radwanska in the final of the Istanbul Cup.
- In shift, Turkish jets strike Islamic State targets in Syria Updated: Jul-24-15 2:52 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In a major tactical shift, Turkish warplanes struck Islamic State group targets across the border in Syria on Friday, a day after IS militants fired at a Turkish military outpost. A Syrian rights group said the airstrikes killed nine IS fighters.
- Turkish bombing of Islamic State marks end of tacit truce Updated: Jul-24-15 2:34 pm
ISTANBUL - Last month, the first edition of the Islamic State group's Turkish-language magazine contained not a word of criticism of the Turkish government. This week, the second edition calls Istanbul occupied territory and blasts President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as a tyrant.
- IS militants kill Turkish soldier near Syria border Updated: Jul-23-15 3:53 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Islamic State militants fired at a Turkish military outpost from Syrian territory on Thursday, killing one Turkish soldier and wounding two others, Turkish officials said. Turkish troops retaliated, killing at least one IS militant.
- Turkey briefly blocks access to Twitter over bombing images Updated: Jul-22-15 9:38 am
ISTANBUL - Turkey briefly blocked access to Twitter on Wednesday to prevent images of Monday's deadly bombing from being broadcast and to stop Twitter users from calling for protests against the government, which they blamed for not doing enough to prevent the attack, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
- Fenerbahce signs Robin van Persie from Man United Updated: Jul-14-15 12:21 pm
ISTANBUL - Fenerbahce completed the signing of Netherlands striker Robin van Persie from Manchester United on Tuesday, with the forward being welcomed to the club by thousands of supporters.
- UN expresses concern over LGBT rights in Turkey Updated: Jul-14-15 12:01 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The U.N. has expressed concern over a spate of violent and discriminatory acts against Turkey's LGBT community and called on the country to combat homophobic acts and uphold gay rights.
- Thailand condemned for repatriation of 109 Uighurs to China Updated: Jul-09-15 4:43 pm
BANGKOK - Thailand faced a blizzard of international criticism Thursday, and its consulate in Istanbul was ransacked, after it deported 109 ethnic Uighur refugees to China despite fears that they would face persecution there.
- Uighurs protesters assault Thai Consulate in Istanbul Updated: Jul-09-15 4:46 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Protesters stormed the Thai Consulate in Istanbul early Thursday to denounce Thailand's decision to deport 109 ethnic Uighur migrants back to China, destroying furniture and hurling files and documents out into the yard, according to reports and video footage. Nine people were detained.
- Hundreds march in Istanbul in support of Uighurs Updated: Jul-04-15 11:52 am
ISTANBUL - Hundreds of people have marched in Istanbul to protest against China's treatment of its minority Muslim Uighur community.