- Turkey's Erdogan dedicates new mosque to the people Updated: Jul-03-15 7:49 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday inaugurated a mosque on the grounds of his gigantic palace complex and opened it to the public in an apparent effort to stave off more criticism over his spending.
- Turkey concerned by reports of fasting bans on Uighurs Updated: Jun-30-15 7:56 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey says it has conveyed "deep concerns" to China over reports that minority Chinese Uighur Muslims were being prevented from worship and fasting during the Muslim month of Ramadan.
- As Kurds gain in Syria, Turkish govt ponders military action Updated: Jun-29-15 6:35 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - As Kurdish rebels in northern Syria rack up wins against the Islamic State group, Turkish media is abuzz with talk of a long-debated military intervention to push the Islamic militants back from the Turkish border - a move that will also outflank any Kurdish attempts to create a state along Turkey's southern frontier.
- Amid roses and rosewater, Turkey's Demirel laid to rest Updated: Jun-19-15 7:52 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Long-serving Turkish politician Suleyman Demirel is being laid to rest in a rose-scented ceremony in Ankara.
- Turkey: Journalists detained, reportedly for asking about IS Updated: Jun-17-15 11:34 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish authorities briefly detained three journalists at the border with Syria for angering the local governor with questions about possible infiltrators from the Islamic State group, one of the journalists said in comments published Wednesday.
- Former Turkish President Suleyman Demirel dead at 90 Updated: Jun-17-15 8:32 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Suleyman Demirel was a master pragmatist whose remarkable talent for staying on top of Turkish politics saw him survive two coups, serve seven terms as Turkey's prime minister and cap his career with the presidency.
- Turkey recalls ambassador to Brazil over genocide dispute Updated: Jun-09-15 3:35 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's Foreign Ministry says the ambassador to Brazil has been recalled after that country's senate passed a resolution recognizing the massacres of Armenians a century ago as genocide.
- 2 killed in explosions at Kurdish rally in Turkey Updated: Jun-05-15 4:07 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Two people died and more than 100 were injured after two explosions rocked a large Kurdish party election rally in southeast Turkey on Friday, the country's Agriculture Minister Mehdi Eker said.