- Turkey-Russia spat over downed Russian warplane escalates Updated: Nov-26-15 4:15 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A tug-of-war over a Russian warplane downed by a Turkish fighter jet at the border with Syria escalated Thursday, with Moscow drafting a slew of economic sanctions against Turkey and the Turkish president defiantly declaring that his military will shoot down any new intruder.
- 2 Turkish journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports Updated: Nov-26-15 4:11 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In new blow to media freedoms in Turkey, a court on Thursday ordered two prominent opposition journalists jailed pending trial over charges of willingly aiding an armed group and of espionage for revealing state secrets for their reports on alleged arms smuggling to Syria.
- Russia strikes back at Turkey with economic sanctions Updated: Nov-26-15 11:59 am
MOSCOW - Russia plans to retaliate against Turkey for the downing of a warplane by imposing sanctions, cutting economic ties and scrapping major investment projects.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Turkey asks 'what happened to us' over fans' disrespect Updated: Nov-23-15 6:39 am
ANKARA, Turkey - On a night of European soccer matches between national teams, the scenes in London and Istanbul were a study in contrast. The British and French fans at London's Wembley Stadium sang the French national anthem in solidarity over the Paris attacks, while in Istanbul hundreds of Turkish fans booed the Greek national anthem and disrupted a moment of silence for those killed in Paris.
- Turkey, allies planning operations to clear border of IS Updated: Nov-18-15 3:38 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's foreign minister says the country and its allies are planning operations to clear a stretch of Turkey's border with Syria of Islamic State militants.
- Erdogan hosting world leaders for G-20 after election boost Updated: Nov-13-15 11:50 am
ANKARA, Turkey - As leaders from the world's 20 biggest economies gather for a summit in Turkey, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will be taking a victory lap.
- The Latest: Turkey's nationalist party head stays after vote Updated: Nov-01-15 4:56 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest as tens of millions of Turkish voters cast ballots in a contest that will determine whether the ruling party can restore the parliamentary majority it had enjoyed for over a decade. All times are local.
- In divided Turkey, election unlikely to resolve uncertainty Updated: Oct-29-15 10:01 am
ISTANBUL - As extremist violence and political uncertainty cast a shadow over Turkey, voters are looking for Sunday's parliamentary election to usher in stability. But in a deeply polarized country, the most likely result is more confusion.