- Image of Asia: Ramadan prayers in Indian Kashmir Updated: Jul-03-15 7:55 am
In this photo by Dar Yasin, Muslim men offer Friday prayers during the holy month of Ramadan in Srinagar, the capital of Indian Kashmir. The restive region is predominantly Muslim and claimed by both India and Pakistan. The two countries have fought two wars over control of the Himalayan region since they won independence from Britain in 1947. Rebel groups have been fighting since 1989, seeking independence from India or the merger of the region with neighboring Pakistan.
- Pakistani artists look to counter violent extremism Updated: Jul-01-15 2:37 am
LAHORE, Pakistan - At a militant training camp in Pakistan, a new recruit asks his instructor why his comrades are attacking churches and mosques rather than enemy bases. "This world is full of sin. It needs to be bathed in blood," the instructor replies, nurturing seeds of doubt that will eventually lead the young man to turn away from violence.
- Monsoon rains kill 81 in India Updated: Jun-26-15 3:07 am
NEW DELHI - Heavy early monsoon rains have killed at least 81 people in India's western Gujarat state, bringing misery to thousands of people uprooted from their flooded homes, an official said Friday.
- Kashmir rattled by targeted killings after period of calm Updated: Jun-19-15 6:37 am
SOPORE, India - Four assassination-style killings since last week have shaken this town in Kashmir just as the Himalayan region claimed by both India and Pakistan seemed to be slowly emerging from decades of violence.
- Indian-held Kashmir shuts down to protest recent killings Updated: Jun-17-15 7:49 am
SRINAGAR, India - Stores, businesses and schools slammed shut across Indian-controlled Kashmir on Wednesday after separatists called a strike to protest a series of assassination-style killings over the past week.
- Curfew in parts of Indian Kashmir after violence Updated: Jun-04-15 2:26 pm
SRINAGAR, India - Indian authorities say they have imposed an indefinite curfew in parts of an Indian Kashmir city after clashes with hundreds of Sikh protesters after bullets fired by police kill one person and injure two more.