- Syrian army extends Damascus cease-fire by 48 hours Updated: May-02-16 9:10 am
BEIRUT - Syria's military extended a unilateral cease-fire around Damascus and opposition strongholds in the eastern suburbs of the capital for another 48 hours on Monday, as a humanitarian convoy delivered aid to 12,000 families trapped in a government-besieged area in central Syria.
- The Latest: Kerry says work underway to restore Syria truce Updated: May-02-16 8:10 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on the conflict in Syria (all times local):
- US once again forced to turn to Russia for help on Syria Updated: May-01-16 4:15 pm
GENEVA - Scrambling to resuscitate a nearly dead truce in Syria, the Obama administration has again been forced to turn to Russia for help, with little hope for the desired U.S. outcome.
- American state senator meets with Syrian President Assad Updated: Apr-28-16 2:01 pm
BEIRUT - Syrian President Bashar Assad scored a minor, if bizarre, publicity victory Thursday, receiving a part-time state senator from America at a time when U.S. officials have repeatedly asserted Assad has lost his legitimacy to rule the war-torn country.
- In Damascus, an uneasy stability boosts Syria's Assad Updated: Apr-23-16 10:49 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - Looking out from the Syrian capital these days, one can understand why President Bashar Assad would be in no hurry to make concessions at peace talks in Geneva, let alone consider stepping down as the opposition demands.
- Talks stalled, Syrian opposition to stay in Geneva next week Updated: Apr-22-16 2:00 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and peace talks in Geneva (all times local):
- Plucked from the uncertainty of Lesbos: 12 Syrian refugees Updated: Apr-16-16 5:11 pm
ROME - Pope Francis says his gesture is "a drop of water in the sea" of Europe's migration crisis. Yet for 12 Syrian refugees, the pope's decision to fly them back to Italy from Greece is an act of kindness that will resonate for the rest of their lives.
- The Latest: Syrians thank pope for bringing them to Italy Updated: Apr-16-16 2:55 pm
MYTILENE, Greece - The Latest on Pope Francis' visit to the Greek island of Lesbos (all times local):
- Grim new details of IS destruction in Syria's Palmyra museum Updated: Apr-16-16 10:26 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - The first foreign experts who visited the museum in Palmyra after it was taken over from Islamic State militants said they spent a week collecting fragments of priceless broken sculptures from the museum grounds and preparing them for transportation to Damascus in a rescue mission they hope will help salvage most of its contents.
- AP INTERVIEW: Top Syrian official rules out Assad departure Updated: Apr-13-16 5:15 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - A top Syrian official said on Wednesday that the opposition has to let go of its "dream" for a transitional government, saying that such a thing amounts to a coup d'etat and "will never be accepted."