- Tourism boom fires Iberian economies but leaves some cold Updated: May-28-16 1:07 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - With sunny days getting longer and lazier, sparkling beaches warming up and terrorism fears driving customers away from other Mediterranean destinations, Spain and Portugal are reaping an economic bonanza from tourism.
- Police help Lisbon port move cargo amid dock workers' strike Updated: May-24-16 7:29 am
LISBON, Portugal - Riot police have held back striking Lisbon dock workers while port operators remove ship containers stranded for several weeks by the walkout over pay and labor rights.
- Braga beats Porto on penalties to win Portuguese Cup Updated: May-22-16 7:24 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Braga defeated Porto 4-2 in a penalty shootout to win the Portuguese Cup on Sunday, 50 years after its only previous title.
- Sporting Lisbon lodges complaint about police hitting fan Updated: May-19-16 12:42 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Sporting Lisbon has complained to the police about what it called a "barbaric" assault by riot police on some of its fans.
- Teenage midfielder Renato Sanches picked for Portugal squad Updated: May-17-16 4:04 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Teenage midfielder Renato Sanches was chosen in the Portugal squad for the European Championship on Tuesday.
- Benfica wins 3rd straight Portuguese league title Updated: May-15-16 2:27 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Benfica won its third straight Portuguese league title by defeating Nacional 4-1 in Sunday's last round, setting a new league record with 88 points from 34 matches.
- Man climbs 19th-century statue, breaks it into pieces Updated: May-12-16 2:19 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese officials said Thursday they are trying to put a value on a 19th-century statue broken when a man climbed up it late at night to take a photo, possibly a selfie.
- Benfica sells teenager Sanches to Bayern for $40 million Updated: May-10-16 7:48 am
LISBON, Portugal - Benfica is selling 18-year-old midfielder Renato Sanches to Bayern Munich for 35 million euros ($40 million), with the Bundesliga champion possibly spending an additional 45 million euros depending on performances.
- 2 alleged members of Russian mafia denied bail in Portugal Updated: May-07-16 12:53 pm
LISBON, Portugal - A lawyer says two men arrested in Portugal on suspicion of forming part of a Russian mafia group that allegedly infiltrated a Portuguese soccer club to launder money have been denied bail and ordered to remain in preventive custody.
- Convicted Colombian drug-traffickers go missing in Portugal Updated: May-06-16 6:49 am
LISBON, Portugal - A lawyer for two Colombians convicted in Portugal of drug-trafficking says the pair are missing after being released from prison while their appeals are being considered.