- Philippine economy grew 5.6 pct in the second quarter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:13 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine economy grew by 5.6 percent in the second quarter from a year ago, slightly below the government's target, officials said Thursday.
- Forbes: Mall tycoon Henry Sy tops Philippines' rich list Updated: Aug-26-15 11:48 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Property, retail and banking tycoon Henry Sy whose conglomerate owns the chain of SM Supermalls in his country and China has retained the title of the Philippines' richest person for the eight consecutive year, with his net worth up $1.7 billion from last year to $14.4 billion.
- Ex-US Marine murder suspect dies in Philippine jail Updated: Aug-26-15 11:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - A former U.S. Marine facing double murder charges in the Philippines has died of a heart attack in a northern city jail, police said Wednesday.
- Philippines seeks US help to protect troops in disputed sea Updated: Aug-26-15 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine defense chief said he asked the visiting U.S. Pacific commander on Wednesday to help protect the transport of Filipino troops and supplies to Philippine-occupied reefs in the disputed South China Sea by deploying American patrol planes to discourage Chinese moves to block the resupply missions.
- US Marine admits choking transgender Filipino, denies murder Updated: Aug-24-15 10:46 am
MANILA, Philippines - A U.S. Marine charged with murder testified in court Monday that he choked a Filipino unconscious during a fight that started when he discovered that she was a transgender woman in a Philippine motel but stressed that he didn't kill her, his lawyer said.
- LeBron visits Manila to mentor Filipino street ball talents Updated: Aug-20-15 9:03 am
MANILA, Philippines - LeBron James hopes his story can inspire young Filipinos to rise from adversity through basketball.
- 2 Filipino coast guard men escape from Abu Sayyaf extremists Updated: Aug-20-15 2:07 am
MANILA, Philippines - Two Philippine coast guard personnel who were threatened with beheading escaped from their Abu Sayyaf extremist captors when hundreds of troops stormed the militants' jungle base in the country's south, military officials said Thursday.
- Newspaper publisher killed in Philippines Updated: Aug-19-15 9:22 am
MANILA, Philippines - A motorcycle-riding gunman has killed the publisher of a small newspaper in the southern Philippines, police said Wednesday.
- Asia's 'infrastructure gap' threatens to hamper growth Updated: Aug-18-15 3:05 am
MANILA, Philippines - Looking out at bumper-to-bumper Monday morning traffic crawling along the Philippine capital's main avenue, taxi driver Ranilo Banez shook his head in frustration.
- American couple found dead in central Philippines Updated: Aug-17-15 9:43 am
MANILA, Philippines - A 58-year-old American and his Filipino-American wife have been killed and their decomposing bodies were found in a well in the central Philippines in a case suspected to be linked to robbery, police said Monday.
- Hit maker David Foster: Asia looking to dominate world music Updated: Aug-17-15 8:37 am
MANILA, Philippines - Music hit maker David Foster said Monday he's always on the lookout for fresh talent, and Asia seems to have a lot of it.
- Fire engulfs Philippine ship with 544; only 2 minor injuries Updated: Aug-15-15 12:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - A two-story ferry with 544 passengers caught fire after docking in the central Philippines on Saturday and people jumped into the sea and clambered down the roof deck to escape black smoke. All passengers were safe and only two crew suffered bruises and cuts, officials said.
- Philippines to open base near disputed sea even without US Updated: Aug-14-15 10:37 am
SUBIC, Philippines - The Philippines will go ahead with a plan to open military camps at Subic Bay facing the disputed South China Sea even if a proposed American military presence doesn't happen, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said Friday.
- 'Inside Out' co-director thrilled to bring film to Filipinos Updated: Aug-07-15 12:32 pm
MANILA, Philippines - The Filipino-American co-director of the box-office hit "Inside Out" says it's a dream come true for him to be sharing with Filipinos the animated film he helped create.
- Homemade bomb kills 2 soldiers in southern Philippines Updated: Aug-07-15 7:44 am
MANILA, Philippines - A homemade bomb believed to have been set off by Abu Sayyaf militants killed two soldiers on Friday in a restive southern province, the military said.
- 7 killed, 2 missing in flash floods in southern Philippines Updated: Aug-05-15 7:34 am
MANILA, Philippines - Flash floods caused by heavy rain have killed at least seven people, including four children, in the southern Philippines, officials said Wednesday. Two others remain missing.
- Aquino chooses Roxas as Philippine presidential candidate Updated: Jul-31-15 5:52 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said Friday he had picked Interior Secretary Manuel "Mar" Roxas II as the administration candidate to succeed him in elections next year.