- Guatemalan prosecutors urge president to resign amid scandal Updated: Aug-27-15 9:37 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Pressure grew Thursday on Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina to resign as business and government offices closed, protesters marched by the thousands and the attorney general's office urged him to step down "to prevent ungovernability that could destabilize the nation."
- Guatemalan ex-vice president held during corruption trial Updated: Aug-26-15 3:02 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - A judge ordered Guatemala's former vice president to remain in jail Wednesday while she stands trial on charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, based on allegations that she accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of the scandal that forced her from office.
- For Guatemala ex-dictator, trial but no punishment Updated: Aug-25-15 5:31 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Former Guatemalan dictator Efrain Rios Montt can stand trial on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity - but can't be sentenced because the 89-year-old suffers from dementia, according to a court's decision announced Tuesday.
- Ex Guatemalan vice president faces bribery allegations Updated: Aug-25-15 12:13 am
GUATEMALA CITY - Prosecutors in Guatemala alleged Monday that former Vice President Roxana Baldetti accepted $3.7 million in bribes as part of a customs corruption scandal that forced her from office and has shaken the government of President Otto Perez Molina.
- 5 Guatemalan soldiers detained following abuse video Updated: Aug-06-15 4:27 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - Police in Guatemala have detained five soldiers on abuse of authority charges after a video circulated on social media showing them beating two teenagers.