- Correction: Smoking-State Parks story Updated: Jun-29-15 7:47 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - In a story June 20 about a smoking ban at state parks in Hawaii, The Associated Press reported erroneously that parks on Kauai are excluded from the ban. The ban applies to all state parks in Hawaii.
- Severe drought expected to spread to Big Island Updated: Jun-29-15 2:08 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Weather experts say severe drought will spread to the Big Island as summer continues.
- New rules in works for public, commercial use of Mauna Kea Updated: Jun-26-15 9:05 am
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - The Office of Mauna Kea Management is working on a set of rules that will for the first time give the office legal tools to govern public and commercial access on the mountain.
- Census data show Big Island led state in 2014 growth Updated: Jun-25-15 1:16 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - The Big Island's population is still growing faster than Maui, Kauai and Honolulu according to recently released U.S. Census Bureau data for 2014.
- Deep sea sharks appear to be buoyant, surprising researchers Updated: Jun-21-15 4:53 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Researchers say they are a step closer to understanding the biology and habits of elusive deep sea sharks after new studies involving cameras attached to the creatures.
- State report shows Hawaii homeless population rising Updated: Jun-19-15 3:00 pm
HILO, Hawaii - State figures show that Hawai'i Island's homeless population has more than doubled in the last two years.
- Another ethics complaint filed against Big Island mayor Updated: Jun-18-15 6:26 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi is the subject of another ethics complaint, this one saying political favoritism led to his campaign manager landing the top job at the Office of Aging.
- Man charged after smashing TV sets in Kailua-Kona store Updated: Jun-17-15 9:05 am
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - A 48-year-old man has been charged with criminal property damage after he was accused of smashing a dozen television sets at a store in Kailua-Kona.
- Hawaii County considers asking for Restoration Day holiday Updated: Jun-11-15 2:37 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Hawaii County's council is considering a resolution that would ask state lawmakers to make Restoration Day a holiday.
- Tourism in Big Island increases Updated: Jun-09-15 1:20 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Tourism has increased in the Big Island and is expected to be a main economic driver for the next few years.
- Kona Community Hospital to make cuts, close nursing unit Updated: Jun-09-15 12:36 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Kona Community Hospital will cut 34 positions and shut down its nursing unit in an effort to rid a $6 million hole in the budget for the upcoming fiscal year.
- Kohala Ditch is back -- with kayaks Updated: Jun-08-15 2:18 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Kohala Ditch is flowing again, it's filled with kayaks again.
- Skateboarder chases, detains driver police say hit girl Updated: Jun-07-15 2:08 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - A driver accused of striking a teenage girl in Kailua-Kona was chased down by a skateboarder and detained until police arrived.
- Watercraft expected to make rescues faster, easier Updated: Jun-04-15 3:23 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Hawaii County ocean safety officers will be able to use rescue watercraft in time for this summer's hurricane season and peak water recreation time.
- Police find drowned man offshore near OTEC Beach Updated: Jun-03-15 12:57 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Big Island police say they have found the body of a swimmer who went missing at Wawaloli Beach Park, also known as OTEC Beach.
- 26-year-old man dies off Wawaloli Beach Park Updated: Jun-02-15 9:04 am
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - A Kailua-Kona man died in the waters off the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority.