- UI police respond to apartment explosion that leaves 1 dead Updated: May-27-16 9:13 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A University of Iowa spokeswoman says authorities are investigating an explosion and fire at a university-owned apartment that left one person dead.
- University of Iowa research goat that escaped is euthanized Updated: May-27-16 5:57 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - University of Iowa officials say a goat that escaped a research lab and was on the loose in Iowa City for 10 days has been euthanized.
- Iowa Supreme Court bans life without parole for teen killers Updated: May-27-16 3:30 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Juveniles who commit even the most heinous murders must someday have the chance to earn their release from prison, a divided Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.
- Study calls Johnson County an organic food hot spot Updated: May-27-16 2:18 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Johnson County officials say they aren't surprised that a new study has recognized the county as a hot spot for organic food.
- Attorneys in 2nd UIHC case want to see jury tampering claim Updated: May-26-16 4:22 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Attorneys who lost a medical malpractice case against University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics are seeking access to a letter containing allegations of jury tampering in another recent case the hospital won.
- App helps Iowa man get drunken driving conviction tossed Updated: May-25-16 5:13 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - An Iowa man's use of a smartphone application to get legal help in the middle of the night proved key in getting his drunken driving conviction overturned.
- Northern Iowa town reflects on destructive 2008 tornado Updated: May-25-16 4:27 pm
PARKERSBURG, Iowa - It's been eight years since a massive tornado destroyed nearly 300 homes and killed nine people in the northern Iowa city of Parkersburg, and city leaders say the town's revival is a model for other cities recovering from natural disasters.
- Police: Iowa woman on driving test forced to view sex images Updated: May-25-16 2:48 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - An Iowa Department of Transportation driving instructor forced a customer to view sexually explicit photos and videos of himself during an exam and then threatened her to keep quiet, authorities said Wednesday.
- E. Iowa city of Wilton gets funding to renovate storefronts Updated: May-25-16 8:44 am
WILTON, Iowa - The eastern Iowa city of Wilton has received funding to renovate much of its small, historic downtown.
- City clerk pleads guilty to fraud, burning City Hall Updated: May-24-16 3:43 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The former city clerk for the small western Iowa city of Casey has pleaded guilty to federal charges alleging she used city funds for personal use and burned down City Hall the night before state auditors were to arrive to investigate missing money.
- Western Iowa city of Walnut will take possession of school Updated: May-24-16 9:02 am
WALNUT, Iowa - The western Iowa city of Walnut will take possession of a historic school building that will become vacant because the school district is dissolving.
- Are Iowa school bomb threats linked to nationwide hoaxes? Updated: May-24-16 6:56 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Authorities are trying to determine whether bomb threats at four Iowa schools are linked to threats reported nationwide.
- Iowa City police chief to retire, head association Updated: May-23-16 5:09 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The Iowa City police chief is retiring after leading the department for over a decade.
- Man pleads guilty in crash that killed Cedar Rapids worker Updated: May-23-16 12:11 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - An eastern Iowa man has pleaded guilty to a vehicular homicide charge in a crash that killed a Cedar Rapids city worker.
- Interstate 29 ramp in Sioux City to permanently close Updated: May-21-16 11:02 am
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The southbound Interstate 29 off-ramp to Nebraska Street in Sioux City is set to close permanently.
- Muscatine County officials approve plans for shooting range Updated: May-21-16 10:57 am
WEST LIBERTY, Iowa - Muscatine County officials have approved advancing a proposal to build a shooting range in the eastern Iowa city of West Liberty.
- Le Mars to used funds for 3-acre dog park Updated: May-21-16 10:54 am
LE MARS, Iowa - Officials in the northwestern Iowa city of Le Mars say they'll use community betterment funds to build a three-acre dog park in town.
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season Updated: May-20-16 5:40 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Peter Jok will return to Iowa men's basketball team next season after removing his name from the NBA draft.
- U. Iowa investigating whether students cheated online tests Updated: May-20-16 5:12 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The University of Iowa says it is investigating whether more than 30 students cheated in online classes by having others take exams for them.
- Court upholds conviction despite bogus FBI bullet testimony Updated: May-20-16 1:04 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - An inmate convicted of murder in 1984 will not get a new trial even though the prosecution relied on discredited FBI bullet-matching science, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.
- Christian charity head admits using donations for sex habit Updated: May-17-16 5:47 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The president of a Christian charity in Iowa admitted that he embezzled nearly a half-million dollars in donations and used the money to pay for a sex addiction, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.
- Police: Iowa student lied about being victim of hate crime Updated: May-17-16 12:14 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Police say a black University of Iowa student lied about being the victim of a racially motivated beating and that he instigated at least one of several alcohol-fueled fights.
- Iowa City officer breaks ankle in struggle with Illinois man Updated: May-16-16 4:14 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Officials say an Iowa City police officer broke his ankle during a struggle with an Illinois man outside a bar.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: May-16-16 10:01 am
Des Moines Register. May 12, 2016
- University of Iowa exhibit honors 'Star Trek' anniversary Updated: May-15-16 10:59 am
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The galaxy of "Star Trek" has lived - and prospered - longer than just about any other American television show.