- Head of Egypt's journalists union to stand trial Updated: May-30-16 6:25 pm
CAIRO - Prosecutors on Monday referred the head of Egypt's journalists union and two board members to trial after they were formally charged with spreading false news and harboring journalists wanted by authorities.
- Palestinian leader wants time cap for any talks with Israel Updated: May-28-16 12:31 pm
CAIRO - The Palestinian president said Saturday that if an upcoming Paris conference succeeds in relaunching the long-stalled Palestinian-Israeli negotiations, it should also set a time cap and mechanisms to implement their resolutions.
- Egypt says search for crashed EgyptAir plane narrows Updated: May-27-16 12:40 pm
CAIRO - The search for the EgyptAir plane which crashed last week killing all 66 people on board has narrowed to a 5-kilometer-wide area in the Mediterranean Sea, based on signals from the craft's emergency beacon, Egypt's chief investigator said.
- Egypt: Muslim mob attacks Christians, parade naked woman Updated: May-26-16 2:21 pm
CAIRO - An armed Muslim mob stripped an elderly Christian woman and paraded her naked on the streets in an attack last week in which seven Christian homes were also looted and torched in a province south of the Egyptian capital.
- Egypt deports French journalist amid crackdown on the media Updated: May-25-16 9:09 am
CAIRO - Egypt deported a French journalist without explanation on Wednesday, the reporter and his newspaper said, the latest move in an ongoing crackdown by President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's government on freedom of expression and the media.
- Investigators search wreckage of EgyptAir plane, test DNA Updated: May-23-16 4:12 pm
CAIRO - A French ship joined the international effort to hunt for the black boxes and other wreckage of EgyptAir Flight 804 Monday, searching for clues to what brought the plane down, as Greek and Egyptian authorities diverged on what happened to the plane during the crucial final minutes before it crashed into the Mediterranean, killing all 66 people on board.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of renewed relations Updated: May-23-16 9:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Monday embraced the grand imam of Al-Azhar, the prestigious Sunni Muslim center of learning, reopening an important channel for Catholic-Muslim dialogue after a five-year lull and at a time of increased Islamic extremist attacks on Christians.
- The Latest: First audio from EgyptAir flight released Updated: May-21-16 8:35 pm
CAIRO - The Latest on the crash of EgyptAir Flight 804 (all times local):
- Airports EgyptAir traveled through before crash Updated: May-20-16 5:38 pm
PARIS - The EgyptAir plane that crashed in the Mediterranean had flown through five airports in the 48 hours before it disappeared off radar screens. As authorities try to determine what went wrong, here's a look at airport security and safety at those five sites:
- Passengers on EgyptAir flight included businessmen, parents Updated: May-20-16 2:54 pm
PARIS - The 66 people lost aboard EgyptAir Flight 804 included a businessman adored by his colleagues, a language and history scholar and a mother caring for a daughter with cancer. A look at the lives of the dead:
- France has tightened Paris airport security since attacks Updated: May-19-16 3:12 pm
PARIS - French authorities have tightened security at Paris airports since last year's attacks in the city with thousands of border police officers, custom personnel, soldiers and private guards patrolling daily in the three airports serving the French capital.
- Egypt arrests rights activist; Amnesty condemns move Updated: May-19-16 2:47 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities arrested on Thursday a well-known advocate for the rights of Egypt's Coptic Christians from his home in Cairo, his lawyer said, the latest in the government's crackdown on rights activists and dissidents.
- Kerry in Cairo for talks on Egypt's politics, Mideast peace Updated: May-18-16 9:49 am
CAIRO - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was holding talks Wednesday with Egyptian officials on the country's political situation and to explore Egypt's ideas for supporting a new Israeli-Palestinian peace bid.
- Egypt president backs French proposal for Mideast talks Updated: May-17-16 1:39 pm
CAIRO - President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi said Tuesday that Egypt's relations with Israel, rooted in a landmark 1979 peace treaty, can only be "warmer" if his country's former enemy reached a settlement with the Palestinians and pledged that Cairo would "make every effort" toward a solution.
- Egypt official: EgyptAir pilots win pay raise after go-slow Updated: May-16-16 9:56 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian official at the Cairo airport says EgyptAir pilots have been granted a 40 percent pay raise after four days of a go-slow protest.
- 'Clash' film shows Egyptian conflict from back of police van Updated: May-14-16 3:49 pm
CANNES, France - For his latest film, Egyptian director Mohamed Diab is portraying his country's recent turbulent history from a unique vantage point: the back of a van.
- US sends armored vehicles to Egypt to combat IS Updated: May-13-16 9:22 am
CAIRO - The U.S. Embassy in Cairo says Egypt has received its first shipment of armored vehicles designed to protect soldiers from roadside bombs.
- Wide arrests in Egypt signal no-tolerance policy on critics Updated: May-11-16 9:51 am
CAIRO - Hours after marching in a peaceful protest against the government late last month, Yassin Mohammed and his friends were lingering in the area in a district of the Egyptian capital when police descended on them, piled them into a minibus and took them to a police station. There, he said, he was blindfolded, handcuffed and beaten by security agents.
- Swiss champion Basel signs Egypt defender Omar Gaber Updated: May-10-16 1:36 pm
BASEL, Switzerland - Swiss champion Basel says it has completed the signing of Egypt international Omar Gaber from Cairo club Zamalek.
- Massive fire in downtown Cairo kills 3, injuries 91 Updated: May-09-16 1:13 pm
CAIRO - A massive fire engulfed a hotel and several nearby buildings in a busy commercial area in downtown Cairo early Monday, killing three people and wounding 91 others, according to Egypt's ambulance services.
- Egyptian street performer arrested over satirical video Updated: May-08-16 9:51 am
CAIRO - Police have arrested a teenage Egyptian street performer they accuse of inciting anti-government protests and releasing an online video "insulting state institutions," his lawyer said on Sunday.
- Cairo court expels diplomats from hearing on Regeni adviser Updated: May-07-16 3:59 pm
CAIRO - An Egyptian appeals court on Saturday extended the investigative detention by 15 days of a rights campaigner who had been advising the family of an Italian student found tortured to death in Cairo.
- Egypt court recommends death for 2 Al-Jazeera employees Updated: May-07-16 2:07 pm
CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Saturday recommended the death sentence against six people, including two Al-Jazeera employees, for allegedly passing documents related to national security to Qatar and the Doha-based TV network during the rule of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi.
- Egypt official blames 'Tom and Jerry' for spreading violence Updated: May-06-16 8:47 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian government official has blamed the animated "Tom and Jerry" series for allegedly spreading a culture of violence.
- Egypt court acquits Mubarak-era premier of graft Updated: May-04-16 9:59 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian court has acquitted a former prime minister of graft charges in the latest retrial linked to his time serving under longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak.