- US, Egypt resume formal security talks with Kerry visit Updated: Aug-02-15 8:31 pm
CAIRO - Despite persistent human rights concerns, the United States on Sunday resumed formal security talks with Egypt that were last held six years ago and kept on hiatus until now amid political unrest that swept the country in the wake of the Arab Spring.
- Egypt court postpones Al-Jazeera English verdict to Aug. 29 Updated: Aug-02-15 8:14 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Sunday again postponed announcing a verdict in the retrial of three Al-Jazeera English journalists, extending the long-running trial criticized worldwide by press freedom advocates and human rights activists.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.
- Egypt, Saudi Arabia aim to enhance cooperation Updated: Jul-30-15 1:36 pm
CAIRO - Egypt and Saudi Arabia say they aim to boost military, economic, and social ties and pursue their common interests.
- US delivering 8 newer F-16 warplanes to Egypt Updated: Jul-30-15 11:44 am
CAIRO - The United States Embassy in Cairo says the U.S. is delivering eight newer F-16 warplanes to Egypt as part of an ongoing military support package.
- Overnight shooting at Niger Embassy in Egypt kills 1 Updated: Jul-29-15 3:55 am
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities say gunmen opened fire overnight outside of the Niger Embassy, killing a police conscript and wounding three.
- Fire at furniture factory in Egypt kills 25 people Updated: Jul-28-15 3:13 pm
CAIRO - A fire that erupted at a furniture factory east of Cairo on Tuesday killed 25 people and injured 22, Egypt's Health Ministry said.
- Congolese player remains hospitalized after spinal injury Updated: Jul-28-15 9:32 am
CAIRO - Republic of Congo international Rudy Ndey was still in a military hospital in Egypt on Tuesday after suffering a serious spinal injury while avoiding a tackle by a goalkeeper in an African club game over the weekend.
- Croatian man kidnapped in Egypt; said to be energy worker Updated: Jul-24-15 11:37 am
ZAGREB, Croatia - A Croatian man has been kidnapped in Egypt by an unidentified armed group, Croatia's foreign ministry said Friday.
- Egypt raises death toll from Nile boat collision to 31 Updated: Jul-24-15 8:16 am
CAIRO - Egyptian search teams have retrieved 13 more bodies from this week's boat collision on the Nile River, bringing the death toll from the tragedy to 31, the health ministry said Friday.
- Egypt decides to rename square to honor slain prosecutor Updated: Jul-15-15 1:52 pm
CAIRO - Egypt's Cabinet has decided to rename a square where security forces broke up a pro-Islamist sit-in two years ago in honor of the country's chief prosecutor, who was assassinated last month.
- Egyptian lawyers protest colleague's shooting at courthouse Updated: Jul-12-15 1:38 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian lawyers on Sunday protested over a police officer shooting a fellow lawyer at a courthouse, the latest incident involving security forces allegedly abusing attorneys in the country.
- Omar Sharif, star of "Lawrence of Arabia," buried in Cairo Updated: Jul-12-15 12:18 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian movie star Omar Sharif has been buried in Cairo following a quiet funeral attended by family and several actors.
- The Latest: Egypt to repair Italian Consulate after bombing Updated: Jul-11-15 12:37 pm
CAIRO - The latest news on the blast outside the Italian Consulate in Cairo early Saturday morning (all times local):
- Omar Sharif, of "Doctor Zhivago," "Lawrence of Arabia," dies Updated: Jul-11-15 12:06 am
CAIRO - In "Lawrence of Arabia," Omar Sharif first emerges as a speck in the distance in the shimmering desert sand. He draws closer, a black-robed figure on a trotting camel, until he finally dismounts, pulling aside his scarf to reveal his dark eyes and a disarming smile framed by his thin mustache.
- Egypt anti-terror bill speeds trials, tightens hand on media Updated: Jul-06-15 5:01 pm
CAIRO - After a series of stunning militant attacks, Egypt's government is pushing through a controversial new anti-terrorism draft bill that would set up special terrorism courts, shorten the appeals process, give police greater powers of arrest and imprison journalists who report information on attacks that differs from the official government line.
- Egypt's currency drops to new low against the dollar Updated: Jul-05-15 1:04 pm
CAIRO - The Egyptian pound has fallen to a new low against the U.S. dollar, the second such drop in days, the country's central bank said Sunday, in a move that could help boost much-needed foreign investment.
- Egypt marks 2nd anniversary of Islamist ouster with mourning Updated: Jul-04-15 8:37 am
CAIRO - Two years to the day after the army overthrew Egypt's Islamist president, the sounds coming from the mosque at Cairo's Tahrir Square were sadly telling. At the focal point of Egypt's upheavals, where authorities had hoped to stage celebrations, there was instead a prayer for the week's dead, including soldiers cut down by militants in Sinai and the country's chief prosecutor, assassinated by car bomb in the capital.