- University of North Alabama President given bonus Updated: May-26-16 10:12 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - University of North Alabama President Ken Kitts is set to receive an almost $40,000 bonus.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-25-16 2:55 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Suspect pleads not guilty in shooting of Alabama deputy Updated: May-25-16 4:42 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - A man accused of shooting and injuring a northwestern Alabama sheriff's deputy earlier this year has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect to an attempted murder charge.
- Rising above the crowd; mounted patrol a popular attraction Updated: May-24-16 1:02 pm
FLORENCE, Alabama - The whispers of "they're coming," and "they're right over there" can be heard moving through the crowd with anticipation as fingers start pointing, and the excitement can be seen building in the eyes of children and adults.
- Missouri plans to seek death penalty for Mexican national Updated: May-20-16 7:22 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Missouri prosecutors on Friday filed their formal plan to pursue the death penalty against a Mexican national in the shooting death of a man a day after he allegedly killed four people in Kansas.
- Superintendents upset about reading program changes Updated: May-16-16 9:39 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Some Alabama superintendents are upset by funding cuts to a reading program that will disproportionately affect schools with higher reading scores.
- The Latest: Man charged in 2-state rampage to stand trial Updated: May-12-16 7:30 pm
MONTGOMERY CITY, Missouri - The Latest on legal action against a Mexican national accused of killing five men in Kansas and Missouri in March (all times local):
- Man accused in 2-state killing rampage to stand trial Updated: May-12-16 7:27 pm
MONTGOMERY CITY, Missouri - A Mexican national suspected of killing five men in a two-state crime rampage will stand trial in Missouri, a judge ruled Thursday.
- CEO survey ranks Alabama 20th best for business Updated: May-11-16 8:47 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Chief executive officers across the nation generally have a positive view of Alabama's friendliness to business, but they also have a not-so-pleasing perception of the state's workforce and living environment. CEOs from businesses located in Alabama give more positive ratings.
- Crews cleaning up Shoals Theatre after weekend fire Updated: May-11-16 7:39 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Crews are continuing to clean up after a weekend fire at the Shoals Theatre in Florence.
- Judge denies reduced bond for jailed petting zoo worker Updated: May-08-16 3:54 pm
FLORENCE, Alabama - A judge has denied a motion to reduce bond of a Maine man who is accused of abusing two children at a traveling petting zoo in northwest Alabama.
- Judge denies reduced bond for petting zoo worker Updated: May-08-16 3:46 pm
FLORENCE, Alabama - A judge has refused to lower the bond of a man accused of abusing children at a traveling petting zoo in Alabama.
- LSU-Alexandria chancellor stepping down Updated: May-03-16 7:36 am
ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana - G. Daniel Howard will step down from his position as chancellor of Louisiana State University of Alexandria at the end of August. That's according to an announcement from the university on Monday.
- Ex-roommate accused in Florence man's stabbing death Updated: May-02-16 8:50 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Police say a man has been fatally stabbed during an argument with his former roommate at a Florence apartment complex.