- Officials: 6 Afghan security men killed in Taliban attacks Updated: Feb-13-16 9:09 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Taliban insurgents killed six Afghan security personnel Saturday in two separate attacks, Afghan officials said.
- Afghanistan hopes to meet with Taliban this month Updated: Feb-07-16 8:09 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan expects to hold direct talks with the Taliban by the end of this month, an official said Sunday.
- Afghanistan meeting ends with call for talks with Taliban Updated: Feb-06-16 11:22 am
ISLAMABAD - Four-nation talks aimed at ending Afghanistan's 15-year war concluded Saturday with a call for direct negotiations between the government and the Taliban by the end of February, but recent battlefield advances by the insurgents could make it hard to coax them to the table.
- Afghan Taliban close ranks around new leader Updated: Feb-05-16 11:53 am
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Afghanistan's Taliban are closing ranks around their new leader after months of infighting that followed the death of Mullah Mohammad Omar, which could allow the insurgents to speak with one voice in hoped-for peace talks but will also strengthen them on the battlefield.
- 5-year-old Afghan boy could get to meet Lionel Messi Updated: Feb-02-16 5:26 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - A 5-year-old Afghan boy who made a splash on the Internet by wearing a homemade Lionel Messi jersey might get the chance to meet the Barcelona great.
- Afghan women demand role in peace process Updated: Jan-22-16 2:00 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - As efforts gather pace to renew peace talks with the Taliban, Afghan women still haunted by the insurgents' brutal rule say they are being left out of the process, and fear that an accommodation with the militants could lead to the loss of hard-won rights.
- IS radio beams propaganda, threats across rural Afghanistan Updated: Jan-21-16 1:15 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Afghan reporters recognized the voice threatening them with death on the Islamic State group's local radio station. It was a former colleague, who knows their names and where they work.