- Protesters to target Chicago shopping area on Black Friday Updated: Nov-25-15 6:26 pm
CHICAGO - Small groups of demonstrators gathered again Wednesday to protest the death of a black teen shot by a white police officer, and they urged supporters to join them in trying to shut down Chicago's famous Michigan Avenue shopping district during the Black Friday shopping bonanza.
- The Latest: Dozens of protesters march busy Chicago street Updated: Nov-25-15 6:20 pm
CHICAGO - The latest on the aftermath of the shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago police officer (all times local):
- Illinois athletic director plans Cubit decision by Sunday Updated: Nov-25-15 5:43 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Interim Illinois athletic director Paul Kowalczyk says a decision will be made by Sunday about whether interim football Bill Cubit gets the job permanently.
- Western Illinois cruises past NAIA Trinity Christian 79-44 Updated: Nov-25-15 5:29 pm
MACOMB, Illinois - Garret Covington scored 24 points and Western Illinois beat NAIA Trinity Christian 79-44 Wednesday.
- Chicago officer who shot teen amassed 18 civilian complaints Updated: Nov-25-15 5:18 pm
CHICAGO - The white Chicago police officer charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of a black teenager was the subject of 18 civilian complaints over 14 years, including allegations that he used racial epithets and excessive force, police and court records show.
- Springfield police chief bemoans body-cam 'burden' Updated: Nov-25-15 4:55 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Springfield's police chief says a state law requiring officers to wear body cameras is too burdensome to local squads.
- News Guide: Protests of Chicago teen's shooting continue Updated: Nov-25-15 4:08 pm
CHICAGO - Protest groups returned to the streets of Chicago on Wednesday, one day after the city released a squad-car video showing a white police officer fatally shoot a black teenager.
- Deere's profit tops forecasts even as its sales fall sharply Updated: Nov-25-15 3:13 pm
MOLINE, Illinois - Even though sales of its green tractors, bulldozers and other equipment fell sharply, Deere & Co. reported better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings as it cut costs.
- Illinois makes tax break deals with 3 companies Updated: Nov-25-15 3:03 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Department of Commerce has agreed to tax breaks for three small companies that plan to add a total of 87 new jobs, the first deals since Gov. Bruce Rauner's recent decision to reinstate corporate tax incentives.
- Catcher Alex Avila and White Sox reach $2.5 million deal Updated: Nov-25-15 2:34 pm
CHICAGO - Free agent catcher Alex Avila and the Chicago White Sox have agreed to a $2.5 million, one-year contract.
- Most Illinois metro jobless rates fall but many lose jobs Updated: Nov-25-15 1:41 pm
CHICAGO - The Illinois Department of Employment Security says unemployment rates dropped in most of the state's metro areas in October.
- Grain mostly higher, livestock higher Updated: Nov-25-15 10:41 am
CHICAGO - Grain futures were mostly higher Wednesday in early trading on the Chicago Board of Trade.
- EXCHANGE: Fire training buildings adapt to versatile needs Updated: Nov-25-15 10:23 am
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - Smoke billowed Tuesday out of a building behind the Plainfield Fire Protection District headquarters as firefighting crews geared up to enter and look for survivors.
- Gary's Vacant to Vibrant projects get kudos from residents Updated: Nov-25-15 5:05 am
GARY, Indiana - City officials gathered with nonprofit and federal partners Monday morning to officially open a rain garden on a formerly abandoned lot in the city's Aetna neighborhood.
- Bishop Hill Museum acquires early painting by folk artist Updated: Nov-25-15 4:50 am
BISHOP HILL, Illinois - The Bishop Hill State Historic Site has acquired the earliest known portrait by folk artist Olof Krans, who's known for his depictions of the Illinois religious colony founded by Swedish dissidents.
- State treasurer to hold online auction of unclaimed property Updated: Nov-25-15 4:41 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Rare coins, a 10-ounce bar of gold and vintage baseball cards are among the thousands of items of unclaimed property that will soon be available for purchase from the Illinois treasurer's office.
- Man gets 16 years for sexually assaulting a woman he knew Updated: Nov-25-15 4:31 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A Springfield man will spend 16 years in prison for sexually assaulting a woman three years ago.
- U of Illinois group looking for chancellor led by professor Updated: Nov-25-15 4:11 am
URBANA, Illinois - A committee led by a history professor will help University of Illinois President Timothy Killeen in the search for a new chancellor for the flagship campus.
- Suburban Chicago teacher sentenced for child pornography Updated: Nov-25-15 3:31 am
WAUKEGAN, Illinois - A former suburban Chicago substitute teacher has been sentenced to 49 months in prison for possession of child pornography.
- Butler scores 22, Bulls beat Blazers in Rose's return Updated: Nov-25-15 2:15 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - This visit to Portland ended on a much happier note for Derrick Rose than the last.
- Sulaimon helps No. 2 Maryland beat Illinois State 77-66 Updated: Nov-25-15 1:55 am
PUERTO AVENTURAS, Mexico - Maryland is getting used to playing from behind in the second half.
- AP Picks: Feast of major implications for Thanksgiving Updated: Nov-25-15 1:01 am
Every team in the AP Top 25 is playing this weekend in a total of 18 games. All these games will be:
- Ohio keeps NIU from clinching MAC West, wins 26-21 Updated: Nov-24-15 11:28 pm
DEKALB, Illinois - Greg Windham and J.D. Sprague each threw a touchdown pass, Josiah Yazdani kicked four field goals and Ohio kept Northern Illinois from advancing to the Mid-American Conference title game with a 26-21 win on Tuesday night.
- Illinois-Chicago heats up to whip Roosevelt 96-58 Updated: Nov-24-15 11:02 pm
CHICAGO - Tai Odiase scored 23 points, Jake Wiegand added 16 and Illinois-Chicago dominated the second half for a 96-58 win over Roosevelt on Tuesday.
- Beane leads Southern Illinois past Oakland 97-88 Updated: Nov-24-15 11:00 pm
CARBONDALE, Illinois - Anthony Beane scored 30 points on 11-of-13 shooting to lead Southern Illinois to a 97-88 win over Oakland Tuesday night.