- Charleston closed to incoming traffic as heavy rains soak SC Updated: Oct-03-15 3:28 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Charleston was closed to incoming traffic Saturday as torrential rains soaked South Carolina, washing out bridges, flooding roads and leaving some motorists stranded as flood waters engulfed their cars.
- The Latest: Roads, bridges washed out in SC storm Updated: Oct-03-15 3:20 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The latest on the rain storm affecting South Carolina this weekend (all times local):
- More rain, flooding forecast along soggy East Coast Updated: Oct-03-15 1:57 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Rain pummeling parts of the East Coast showed little sign of slackening Saturday, with record-setting precipitation prolonging the soppy misery that has been eased only by news that powerful Hurricane Joaquin will not hit the U.S.
- Man gets life in prison for 2nd drug trafficking conviction Updated: Oct-03-15 1:10 pm
SUMMERVILLE, South Carolina - A Summerville man has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of trafficking drugs for a second time.
- SC's Tim Scott plays role in GOP race with candidate forums Updated: Oct-03-15 12:52 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - More than 2,000 voters, from college students to those of retirement age, packed a Columbia theater recently to see for themselves what it's like to experience businessman Donald Trump up close and personal.
- The Latest: Rains close highway in North Carolina Updated: Oct-02-15 9:12 pm
MIAMI - The latest on drenching storms threatening the East Coast as Hurricane Joaquin swirls in the Atlantic. All times local:
- Proposal would erase Confederate sign from Mississippi flag Updated: Oct-02-15 7:32 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A new proposal seeks a statewide election on removing the Confederate battle emblem from the Mississippi flag. But it could be years before the issue gets on the ballot, and there's no guarantee voters would accept it.
- Report: 4 killed in plane crash near lake in South Carolina Updated: Oct-02-15 7:30 pm
WALHALLA, South Carolina - Authorities say a small plane crashed near a lake in South Carolina, killing all four people on board.
- 24-hour news, social media put pressure on cops, reporters Updated: Oct-02-15 6:48 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The 24-hour news cycle and social media put enormous pressure on reporters and law enforcement to get accurate information out quickly in a crisis such as the Charleston church massacre, officials who responded and journalists who reported on the tragedy said Friday.
- Haley orders flags at half-staff to honor slain officer Updated: Oct-02-15 2:02 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley has ordered flags on state property to be flown at half-staff to honor the police officer who was shot and killed at a suburban mall.
- Harrell still considering response on order to pay $113,500 Updated: Oct-02-15 1:50 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Former House Speaker Bobby Harrell says he'll decide in the coming weeks whether to pay nearly $113,500 the House Ethics Committee ordered him to hand over.
- Fiorina pushes government accountability, immigration reform Updated: Oct-02-15 1:49 pm
AIKEN, South Carolina - Republican presidential hopeful Carly Fiorina told an Aiken audience Friday she would require federal agencies to account for each dollar requested in their budgets, part of her continuing demand that government spending be put on a diet.
- Volvo hopes to invest $1B in South Carolina by 2030 Updated: Oct-02-15 1:01 pm
RIDGEVILLE, South Carolina - Volvo hopes to create 4,000 jobs and invest $1 billion at its Berkeley County automobile plant by 2030.
- Clemson officials: School able to operate game Updated: Oct-02-15 10:37 am
CLEMSON, South Carolina - The Clemson athletic department said the 12th-ranked Tigers contest with No. 6 Notre Dame remains on schedule for Saturday, despite forecasts of up to a foot of rain for this weekend.
- Clemson's Deshaun, Notre Dame's DeShone: QBs look to shine Updated: Oct-02-15 10:21 am
CLEMSON, South Carolina - Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer share similar names, the leadership of two high-performing offenses - and the pressure to succeed when the sixth-ranked Fighting Irish (4-0) and 12th-ranked Tigers (3-0) play Saturday night.
- Meeting set for part of Haley's domestic violence panel Updated: Oct-02-15 10:18 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Part of Gov. Nikki Haley's task force on domestic violence is meeting this week.
- Bush with S. Carolina prosecutor for constitutional chat Updated: Oct-02-15 6:13 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush is returning to South Carolina for a constitutional conversation.
- Charleston County schools facing surprise $18M shortfall Updated: Oct-02-15 4:31 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Charleston County school board members say the school district is facing an $18 million shortfall after overestimating property-tax revenues and miscalculating payroll costs.
- Senators reach deal to reduce prison time for some offenders Updated: Oct-01-15 11:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate conservatives and liberals on Thursday united behind an overhaul of the criminal justice system, a rare bipartisan agreement that would allow some nonviolent drug offenders to get reduced prison sentences and give judges greater discretion in sentencing.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- Board postpones vote on another Planned Parenthood review Updated: Oct-01-15 6:51 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's Legislative Audit Council postponed voting Thursday on whether to launch another state investigation into Planned Parenthood.
- Hurricane and rainstorm are locked in a dangerous dance Updated: Oct-01-15 5:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Hurricane Joaquin is locked in a dance with an extraordinarily heavy rainstorm that is already drenching the Carolinas. As the two draw closer together over the next few days, the effects could be disastrous for the East Coast.
- Suspect in police death carried weapons in earlier arrests Updated: Oct-01-15 5:47 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The man charged with shooting a police officer to death with a stolen gun at a South Carolina mall was carrying multiple weapons during two earlier arrests, police records show.
- The Latest: Shooting suspect carried multiple weapons Updated: Oct-01-15 5:12 pm
FOREST ACRES, South Carolina - The latest on the shooting of a police officer at a South Carolina mall. All times local:
- Video: Dorchester coroner made racial slurs during incident Updated: Oct-01-15 4:45 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A police body camera video shows that Dorchester County Coroner Chris Nisbet used racial slurs during an August incident which resulted in his being charged with misconduct in office.