- 160 schools to compete in Nevada Science Bowl in Las Vegas Updated: Feb-06-16 7:20 am
LAS VEGAS - Northwest Career & Technical Academy of Las Vegas hopes to top 159 other teams and repeat as champions during this weekend's 25th annual Nevada Science Bowl competition.
- Wet weather systems increasingly more rare in Southwest Updated: Feb-05-16 4:11 pm
RENO, Nevada - The southwestern United States has already begun a long-predicted shift into a decidedly drier climate, a new study looking at the last 35 years of weather pattern concluded.
- Reno community college votes for mascot gender-neutral Updated: Feb-05-16 11:07 am
RENO, Nevada - Students at Truckee Meadows Community College have voted to declare their mascot gender-neutral.
- Washoe DA clears 2 officers in 2014 fatal shooting in Reno Updated: Feb-04-16 3:44 pm
RENO, Nevada - Two veteran detectives were justified when they fatally shot an armed fugitive when he grabbed a handgun from his waistband while approaching the officers near a daycare center in September 2014, Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said Thursday.
- Reno River Festival to host national kayak championships Updated: Feb-04-16 11:50 am
RENO, Nevada - The national kayak championships will be held in Reno this year.
- Dad says Nevada holdout learned government distrust from him Updated: Feb-04-16 12:07 am
RENO, Nevada - The 73-year-old father of one of the four holdouts at the armed occupation of a national wildlife refuge in Oregon says Jeffrey Banta may have learned his distrust of the U.S. government from him growing up hunting and fishing in the wide-open of spaces of rural northern Nevada.
- 4 holdouts at Oregon refuge have diverse backgrounds Updated: Feb-03-16 6:20 pm
The four armed activists still occupying a national wildlife refuge in Oregon have shown no signs they are ready to leave more than a week after the main figures in the standoff were arrested.
- Arizona man arrested in Nevada for allegedly killing eagles Updated: Feb-02-16 3:31 pm
RENO, Nevada - A 30-year-old Arizona man has been arrested in Nevada on charges accusing him of killing two federally protected golden eagles and illegally possessing more than 120 individual eagle and hawk feathers that he reportedly told authorities he kept for religious ceremonies.
- Washoe school district to receive $13 million donation Updated: Feb-02-16 10:56 am
RENO, Nevada - The Washoe County School District will receive $1 million each year for the next 13 years to help fund programs to close gaps they may impede student success.
- Record snow in parts of Nevada; high winds, cold in Vegas Updated: Feb-01-16 8:09 pm
RENO, Nevada - High wind advisories remained in effect across much of east-central Nevada Monday with gusts up to 50 mph but sunny skies began to melt off about a foot of record-breaking snow in other areas, and the Truckee River flowed through downtown Reno at its highest level in more than three years.
- Snowboarders missing from Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe found Updated: Feb-01-16 10:32 am
RENO, Nevada - Washoe County Search and Rescue has found a snowboarder and a skier who went missing from Mount Rose Ski Tahoe.
- Nevada governor seeks change in sage grouse mining rule Updated: Jan-28-16 8:01 pm
RENO, Nevada - The governor of gold-rich Nevada is pressing the Obama administration to alter its sage grouse protection plan to free up thousands of mining claims by shrinking the restricted area in exchange for making other unprotected areas off limits, restoring burned out rangeland and reining in wild horse herds.
- Study finds Washoe County schools' gifted program biased Updated: Jan-28-16 11:59 am
RENO, Nevada - A study has found that the Washoe County School District's program for gifted and talented students is biased against poor or nonwhite students.
- Grand Sierra Resort loses trade secrets case Updated: Jan-27-16 10:03 pm
RENO, Nevada - A jury has sided with the Peppermill Resort Spa Casino in an $8 million trade secrets case brought by Grand Sierra Resort.
- $4.5M award to Amtrak upheld in deadly Nevada truck crash Updated: Jan-27-16 2:52 pm
RENO, Nevada - A federal judge has refused to grant a new trial for a Nevada trucking firm ordered to pay more than $4.5 million in damages to Amtrak after a truck slammed into a train at a rural crossing in 2011, killing six people.
- Reno, Washoe County agree to drop lawsuit over fire services Updated: Jan-27-16 8:15 am
RENO, Nevada - Reno and Washoe County have agreed to settle their longstanding lawsuit over the splitting of the community's fire agencies.
- SDSU beats Nevada 57-54 for 7th straight MWC road win Updated: Jan-27-16 1:35 am
RENO, Nevada - Trey Kell had 17 points and a career-best 10 rebounds for his first career double-double and San Diego State rallied past Nevada 57-54 Tuesday night to tie a Mountain West record with its seventh straight conference road win.
- Reno police used Taser, then fatally shot suspect with knife Updated: Jan-26-16 9:02 pm
RENO, Nevada - A Reno police officer fatally shot a 38-year-old man allegedly armed with a knife after he was involved in a four-car crash, and investigators said Tuesday they are looking for a fifth vehicle that may have been involved in the accident that possibly stemmed from road rage.
- Reno lawyer jumps into competitive Nevada state Senate race Updated: Jan-25-16 7:36 pm
RENO, Nevada - A Reno lawyer has jumped into a competitive race for a northern Nevada Senate seat being vacated by Republican Greg Brower.
- Reno robbery suspect nabbed fleeing scene of 2nd holdup Updated: Jan-25-16 5:08 pm
RENO, Nevada - Police have arrested a suspect in a pair armed robberies at Reno convenience stores after they spotted him fleeing the scene of the second holdup.
- 3rd arrest made in connection with Reno armed robbery Updated: Jan-24-16 4:12 pm
RENO, Nevada - Reno police have made a third arrest in a robbery and shooting of a man.
- Principal's dispute over firing reaches Nevada Supreme Court Updated: Jan-24-16 2:35 pm
RENO, Nevada - The state's highest court is ordering a former Washoe County school principal and the district that fired her to try and settle their dispute.
- Longtime owner ready to sell Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe resort Updated: Jan-24-16 12:12 pm
RENO, Nevada - The owners of Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe are looking to sell.
- Cowboy poets gather in Nevada with eye on Oregon conflict Updated: Jan-24-16 11:56 am
RENO, Nevada - As troubadours, fiddlers and scribes head to northeast Nevada for a national gathering to celebrate cowboy poetry and culture, the topic of the sometimes tenuous relationship between the Old West and the realities of the New West will be more than campfire conversation.
- Man arrested in Reno casino stabbing Updated: Jan-24-16 10:36 am
RENO, Nevada - Police have arrested a suspect accused of stabbing a man while trying to steal his watch at a Reno casino.