- Kansas lawmakers look to spending cuts to close budget gap Updated: Jun-02-15 11:59 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - House and Senate budget leaders will meet to discuss additional budget cuts as proposals to fill projected budget shortfalls with tax increases reach a deadlock.
- Shawnee County to pay $500,000 to family of jail inmate Updated: Jun-02-15 8:01 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Shawnee County officials have agreed to pay $500,000 to the survivors of a jail inmate who died at a hospital shortly after he was held for eight days at the county jail.
- Kansas Legislature to discuss new taxes to fill shortfall Updated: Jun-02-15 7:17 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas lawmakers are preparing to discuss new packages of tax increases aimed at closing a looming budget shortfall.
- Kansas lawmakers' session expected to reach 104th day Updated: Jun-02-15 5:04 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Legislature's session this year is closing in on a record for length.
- Kansas lawmakers approve $131M budget for state court system Updated: Jun-01-15 9:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators on Monday approved a budget for the state court system to head off the possibility that judicial offices would be forced to close next week.
- Kansas lawmakers OK bill further limiting local gun rules Updated: Jun-01-15 6:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Cities and counties in Kansas couldn't use zoning ordinances to limit gun sales or impose special taxes on firearms under a bill state legislators have approved.
- Kansas lawmaker protests failure to consider pot proposals Updated: Jun-01-15 6:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate's approval of a bill for helping victims of human trafficking has come after a Democratic member protested a lack of action on proposals to liberalize marijuana laws.
- Key tax proposal stalled in House, Senate negotiations Updated: Jun-01-15 6:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A proposal to levy a state fee on health care providers that is key to several tax plans remains deadlocked between negotiators.
- Kansas lawmakers pass limits on rights for sex predators Updated: Jun-01-15 5:45 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators have approved a bill that would put new limits on appeals by sex offenders committed indefinitely to a state treatment program.
- Programs aim to help inmates with mental illness Updated: Jun-01-15 3:38 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Several groups in Shawnee County and Topeka are looking for ways to deal with an increasing number of inmates with a mental illness.
- Poll shows House GOP support for sales, business tax hikes Updated: Jun-01-15 2:15 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - An informal poll of GOP House members shows modest sales tax increases could be the most popular option for filling the state's budget shortfall.
- Kansas Senate votes to drop sales tax, preserve exemptions Updated: Jun-01-15 12:49 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has approved a proposal to cut the state sales tax but rejected a companion measure to repeal exemptions to the tax to raise new revenues.
- GOP senators rethink, approve proposed court system budget Updated: May-31-15 8:40 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Some Republican senators have had an overnight change of heart about a proposed budget for the state's court system, allowing it to pass.
- Kansas state workers could be furloughed if budget delayed Updated: May-31-15 5:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Budget Director Shawn Sullivan says that if state lawmakers don't pass a budget by June 7 all non-essential state workers will be immediately furloughed.
- Kansas behind in private-sector job growth Updated: May-31-15 2:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A report shows that private-sector job growth in Kansas has lagged behind other states in the region.
- Kansas Senate approves array of election law changes Updated: May-30-15 7:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has approved an array of changes to state election laws dealing with the use of social media by campaigns and regulations on political signs.
- Kansas casino board hears proposals Updated: May-30-15 6:02 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Three companies pitched their proposals for the license to a run a new, state-owned casino in southeast Kansas.
- Shawnee County considers settlement in death Updated: May-30-15 4:52 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Shawnee County Commissioners are being asked to approve a $500,000 settlement to family of a man who died at a hospital after he was released from the county jail.
- Kansas House approves bill tweaking 'webcam abortion' ban Updated: May-30-15 2:45 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a bill aimed at allowing the state to enforce a ban on what critics call "webcam" abortions.
- Kansas AG to prosecute man accused of shooting officer Updated: May-30-15 12:52 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas attorney general's office will lead the prosecution of a 22-year-old man accused of wounding an Oklahoma law enforcement officer.
- Key Kansas lawmaker denies being absent due to vacation Updated: May-29-15 11:38 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A key Kansas lawmaker who has been criticized for his weeklong absence says he was away on family business and was not paid during that time.
- Kansas collect $6M less in taxes than anticipated this month Updated: May-29-15 7:21 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas has collected $6 million less in taxes this month than anticipated, and disappointing sales tax collections are a key reason.
- Kansas House approves changes to state's liquor laws Updated: May-29-15 7:19 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a measure that would allow alcohol at state events at the Capitol and adjusts a number of liquor permit processes.
- Topeka Zoo makes youngest bears available for public view Updated: May-29-15 6:52 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - For the first time, the Topeka Zoo has made it youngest bears available to the public for viewing.
- Inmate files $2 million lawsuit against jail over injuries Updated: May-29-15 5:11 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas man has filed a $2 million lawsuit against the Shawnee County Jail claiming it failed to provide proper medical attention for a broken bone in his foot and subsequent head injury.