- Governor's Christmas tree arrives at Cedar Crest Updated: Nov-26-15 3:21 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The governor's Christmas tree has arrived at Cedar Crest on a horse-drawn coach.
- Prosecutors seek removal of Topeka councilman Updated: Nov-25-15 6:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Prosecutors are seeking to remove a member of the Topeka City Council over child abuse allegations.
- Kansas urges high court to look at judiciary in other states Updated: Nov-25-15 6:16 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The attorney general's office wants the Kansas Supreme Court to look at how the judiciary in surrounding states works when it decides the validity of a law stripping the high court of its power to appoint chief judges.
- Black leaders call for Election Day voter registration Updated: Nov-25-15 4:53 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Black Leadership Council is asking the state to allow people to register to vote on Election Day.
- KCP&L appeals rate increase ruling by Kansas regulators Updated: Nov-24-15 2:55 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas City Power & Light is appealing a September ruling by Kansas regulators reducing the percentage of annual profit the utility is allowed to return to its stockholders.
- 600 Franklin County residents to be summoned for trial Updated: Nov-24-15 1:39 pm
OTTAWA, Kansas - Hundreds of Franklin County residents are expected to receive jury summonses for the capital murder trial of a man accused of killing four people.
- Rubio joins field for spot in Kansas Republican caucus Updated: Nov-23-15 6:38 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Sen. Marco Rubio has filed for the Kansas Republican President caucus, making him the sixth presidential contender to file in the state.
- Kansas lobbyist concerned with state handling of foster care Updated: Nov-23-15 5:27 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A lobbyist for a Kansas police association has expressed concerns over the way state social workers handle foster care.
- Kansas secretary of Aging and Disability resigns Updated: Nov-23-15 1:35 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kari Bruffett, secretary of the Kansas Department of Aging and Disability Services, has announced plans to resign at the end of the year.
- Kansas seeking increase in engineering grads Updated: Nov-23-15 10:57 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas is moving toward a goal of increasing the number of college graduates majoring in engineering.
- Military Veteran Project in Topeka growing Updated: Nov-23-15 10:45 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - If the Military Veteran Project succeeds at improving brain injury treatment and other goals, Melissa Jarboe won't be running the organization she founded.
- Kansas gets 'C' grade in domestic minor sex trafficking Updated: Nov-23-15 3:56 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Vancouver, Washington-based nonprofit has given Kansas a grade of "C'' for its legislation addressing domestic child sex trafficking.
- Kansas black leaders agree on legislative, election agenda Updated: Nov-22-15 4:33 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A group of African-American leaders from throughout Kansas is calling for expanding Medicaid, repealing restrictive voting laws, reforming criminal sentencing and putting more restrictions on payday lenders.
- Man arrested in deadly stabbing of Mayetta woman Updated: Nov-21-15 6:04 pm
MAYETTA, Kansas - A man has been arrested in the fatal stabbing of a woman in northeast Kansas.
- United Methodists, Catholic leaders support Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-20-15 6:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The United Methodist Church in Kansas and Nebraska says 35 congregations are willing to sponsor at least one Syrian refugee family, while leaders of the Catholic church in Kansas urged compassion for the refugees and criticized elected officials who are using the issue for political gain.
- Brownback cites importance of water policy reforms Updated: Nov-19-15 5:36 pm
MANHATTAN, Kansas - Gov. Sam Brownback says Kansas has to make changes to address concerns over the state's water supply.
- Audit faults Topeka court over communication Updated: Nov-19-15 10:59 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - An audit of Topeka's municipal court has found a lack of respect has caused a rift between the court and the prosecutor's office, although city and court officials say that issue has been resolved.
- Jewelry store owner sentenced for buying stolen jewelry Updated: Nov-18-15 6:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A 54-year-old Kansas jewelry store owner has been sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison for knowingly buying jewelry that had been stolen in home invasions.
- Kansas school's plan on diversity worries some GOP lawmakers Updated: Nov-18-15 6:06 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The University of Kansas' plan to require "inclusion and belonging" training for everyone on campus drew criticism Wednesday from Republican legislators who worry that it will become an effort to squelch conservative thought.
- Agency to lower evidence standard in child abuse claims Updated: Nov-18-15 5:13 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas agency that investigates child abuse plans to lower the standard of evidence needed to substantiate a claim of abuse or neglect.
- Topeka man sentenced to 24 years for child pornography Updated: Nov-18-15 7:23 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Topeka man has been sentenced to 24 years in federal prison for producing child pornography.
- Kansas official says 'action plan' coming on student demands Updated: Nov-17-15 7:33 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The University of Kansas is creating a team to address demands from student protesters and expects to release an "action plan" by mid-January that will include mandatory diversity training for all students and staff, a top administrator said Tuesday.
- Kansas panel considers whether gays should be foster parents Updated: Nov-17-15 4:16 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Kansas legislative committee's chairman raised questions Tuesday about whether gays and lesbians should be allowed to serve as foster parents for abused and neglected children.
- Kansas governor issues order barring state help to refugees Updated: Nov-16-15 9:28 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback has issued an executive order forbidding any state agencies or organizations that receive state grant money from helping relocate Syrian refugees in his state.
- Developers announces plans for Topeka hotel Updated: Nov-16-15 1:12 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Developers have announced plans to create a new hotel in downtown Topeka.