- Half-built twin towers in Jordan's capital to be completed Updated: May-23-16 9:06 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Half-built twin towers have blighted the Amman skyline for years, a symbol of mega-construction schemes gone awry and a potential turn-off for investors.
- Iraq: Border with Jordan to open soon, after year of closure Updated: May-21-16 9:25 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Iraq's border crossing with Jordan is expected to open in about two weeks, after an almost year-long closure, allowing for a resumption of vital trade and a return of Iraqi refugees, an Iraqi diplomat said Saturday.
- IMF announces $5.4B loan over 3 years to Iraq Updated: May-19-16 10:22 am
AMMAN, Jordan - The International Monetary Fund said Thursday that it is lending $5.4 billion over three years to cash-strapped Iraq, which has been hit hard by a sharp drop in oil prices.
- US envoy in anti-IS battle: 'perverse caliphate' shrinking Updated: May-15-16 5:12 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The Obama administration's diplomatic point man in the fight against the Islamic State group said Sunday that the extremists have been losing control over territory and that "this perverse caliphate is shrinking."
- Report: 27.8 million people internally displaced last year Updated: May-11-16 4:50 am
AMMAN, Jordan - A major aid agency said Wednesday that 27.8 million people around the world were internally displaced by conflicts and natural disasters last year, calling it a global crisis.
- US general: More cross-border cooperation needed to fight IS Updated: May-09-16 10:09 am
AMMAN, Jordan - The new commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command says an international coalition of special forces fighting Islamic State extremists must cooperate more closely and "adapt faster than the enemy."
- Jordan detained 10 journalists in 2015, watchdog group says Updated: May-07-16 10:59 am
AMMAN, Jordan - A group monitoring restrictions on the media says 10 Jordanian journalists were detained in 2015, the highest number in years.
- Global gender gap in politics wide, women legislators say Updated: May-04-16 2:07 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Encouraging women to enter local politics, setting quotas in parliaments and pushing legislation on gender equality help narrow gender gaps in politics, participants at a conference of women lawmakers said Wednesday.
- Jordan lifts ban on performance by popular Lebanese band Updated: Apr-29-16 5:07 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan is permitting a popular Lebanese rock band to perform, lifting an earlier ban imposed amid claims the group's songs promoting religious and sexual freedom violate local customs and religious beliefs.