- Council limits college students in residential neighborhoods Updated: Sep-04-15 7:28 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Providence City Council has approved an amendment to the city's zoning ordinance that limits the number of college students who can live in an off-campus single-family house to three.
- Officials: Man facing more charges in animal cruelty case Updated: Sep-04-15 7:14 am
NORTH PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A North Providence man who allegedly owned a malnourished dog that had to be euthanized is facing additional charges.
- Woman dies 3 months after falling beneath Providence bus Updated: Sep-03-15 6:22 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Coventry woman who tripped and fell beneath a bus in Providence in May has died.
- House speaker: PawSox stadium less likely to move forward Updated: Sep-03-15 4:56 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Plans to build a stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox in downtown Providence are less likely to move forward because of new hurdles, including that Brown University wants $10 million for part of the land, House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello said Thursday.
- Online campaign launched to pay lonely tagger's restitution Updated: Sep-03-15 8:01 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - An online campaign has been launched to raise money for a Rhode Island man who was ordered to pay restitution for leaving graffiti messages about his loneliness around Providence.
- Police: 1 killed, 3 injured in Providence stabbings Updated: Sep-02-15 2:19 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Police are crediting an off-duty deputy sheriff with saving at least one life during a quadruple stabbing in Providence.
- Providence bishop praises pope's abortion decision Updated: Sep-02-15 12:23 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The head of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence is praising Pope Francis's declaration allowing rank-and-file priests to absolve women who've had abortions, though priests in the diocese have long had that power.
- Retired Roman Catholic archbishop dies in Rhode Island Updated: Sep-01-15 2:55 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rev. George H. Pearce, a former bishop-in-residence of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence and an archbishop emeritus of Suva in Fiji, has died. He was 94.
- Officials identify couple dead in apparent murder-suicide Updated: Sep-01-15 3:35 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Officials have identified a Providence couple who died in August in what police believe was a murder-suicide.
- Officials: 28 Rhode Island bridges in critical condition Updated: Sep-01-15 3:31 am
PAWTUCKET, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Department of Transportation has completed its inspection of the state's 230 structurally deficient bridges.
- Police: man held after woman stabbed in front of her home Updated: Aug-30-15 12:40 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Police say a 23-year-old homeless man is in custody after a woman was stabbed several times in front of her Providence home.
- Elections board to stop enforcing aggregate limit for donors Updated: Aug-30-15 10:40 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's Board of Elections says it won't enforce a campaign finance law that a major Republican donor says he intentionally violated to prod the state into acknowledging it's unconstitutional.
- 4 arrested at alleged Providence brothel Updated: Aug-28-15 8:07 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Four people have been arrested following a raid at what police describe as a brothel in a Providence apartment.
- AP's Smith wins reporting award for RI political coverage Updated: Aug-27-15 1:57 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Associated Press correspondent Michelle Smith has won a regional journalism award for distinctive coverage of Rhode Island politics.
- Bus riders to protest against possible RIPTA fare hikes Updated: Aug-27-15 11:17 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Bus riders are planning a rush-hour rally to protest possible fare hikes on the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority.
- Clothing line: Newport business wrongfully used whale design Updated: Aug-26-15 4:56 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A luxury clothing manufacturer is suing a Newport company, saying it infringed on its "iconic" smiling whale design.
- Providence man in arson-for-profit plot gets 6 ½ years Updated: Aug-26-15 3:39 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence man has been sentenced to 6 ½ years in prison after he was convicted of orchestrating a scheme to set fire to a multi-family building he owned in an effort to collect more than $725,000 in insurance.
- 2 RI politicians announce new communications directors Updated: Aug-26-15 1:05 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - There's some shuffling going on in the offices of two Rhode Island politicians.
- Narragansett Beer moving forward with Rhode Island location Updated: Aug-26-15 5:11 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence-based brewing company is continuing efforts to move its production to Rhode Island.
- Providence bar at center of Fox bribery scandal sold Updated: Aug-25-15 6:11 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence bar that allegedly bribed former Rhode Island House Speaker Gordon Fox in order to get a liquor license has been sold.
- Cranston City Council votes "no confidence" in Mayor Fung Updated: Aug-24-15 9:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Cranston City Council has narrowly approved a symbolic resolution expressing no confidence in Republican Mayor Allan Fung's leadership.
- Police: 2 dead in Providence possible murder-suicide Updated: Aug-24-15 6:08 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Providence police say a man fatally shot his former girlfriend and himself over the weekend in an apartment at a high-rise public housing complex for the elderly and disabled.
- Rhode Island to host 2017 governors meeting Updated: Aug-24-15 4:17 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The National Governors Association has chosen to hold its 2017 summer meeting in Rhode Island.
- Tiny insect prompts closure of bathrooms in Providence Updated: Aug-24-15 2:10 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Officials closed several public bathrooms in Providence, after someone reported seeing a "flea-sized" insect in one of them.
- Providence record store robbed of classic rock albums Updated: Aug-24-15 7:43 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The thieves that have twice hit a Providence vintage record store took the "Stairway to Heaven" and made off with "Money."