- Ethics a thorn as Rhode Island lawmakers wrap up session Updated: May-29-16 12:34 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - As the Rhode Island General Assembly winds down for the year and lawmakers prepare to launch their re-election campaigns, Democratic leaders are dropping hot-button social issues as they search for a resolution to the ethical quandaries that have overshadowed the State House in recent weeks.
- Man sentenced to prison for traveling to have sex with minor Updated: May-28-16 4:20 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Rhode Island man has been sentenced to prison for traveling from his workplace in Massachusetts to have sex with a person he believed to be a 14-year-old girl.
- State OKs transfer of hospital obstetrics unit Updated: May-27-16 7:40 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's health agency has given conditional approval to the transfer of obstetrics services from Memorial Hospital in Pawtucket to two affiliated hospitals.
- Biden calls for infrastructure investment in Rhode Island Updated: May-27-16 4:05 pm
EAST PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Vice President Joe Biden said Rhode Island needs to invest in its transportation infrastructure after touring a dilapidated highway bridge he joked is being held up by a children's toy.
- Man who fatally stabbed wife on RIPTA bus gets life sentence Updated: May-27-16 3:28 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence man who fatally stabbed his ex-wife on a public bus as she was on her way to work has been sentenced to life in prison.
- House speaker: No immigrant driver's licenses this year Updated: May-27-16 12:21 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House speaker says lawmakers won't act this year on legislation that would allow immigrants in the country illegally to obtain driver's licenses.
- Providence man involved in fatal wrong-way crash sentenced Updated: May-27-16 9:37 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence man authorities say was drunk when he drove the wrong way on Interstate 95 and caused a crash that killed his girlfriend and injured two others has pleaded no contest.
- Rhode Island Senate passes lobby reform Updated: May-26-16 7:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Both chambers of the Rhode Island General Assembly have passed a bill that would reform lobbying rules found to be deficient after the state's disastrous deal with video game company 38 Studios.
- Rhode Island GOP files complaint against state lawmaker Updated: May-25-16 7:21 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Republican Party has filed an ethics complaint against a state representative for failing to disclose her employment with the city of Providence on mandatory fiscal disclosure forms.
- New England mob associate indicted on perjury charge Updated: May-25-16 2:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A New England mob associate has been indicted on a perjury charge stemming from a long-running investigation into a shakedown ring focusing on Providence strip clubs.
- Plan that put all prison inmates in 1 city district tossed Updated: May-24-16 3:38 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A federal judge on Tuesday threw out a redistricting plan in Cranston that put all the inmates at the state prison into one city ward.
- Man accused of exposing himself could face additional counts Updated: May-24-16 3:17 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - An East Providence man accused of exposing himself on a Massachusetts beach could face additional charges.
- Taxpayer assistance approved for proposed Providence hotel Updated: May-24-16 3:35 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Construction on an extended-stay hotel in Providence is set to move forward after the Rhode Island Commerce Corporation voted to give the developer up to $4.8 million in taxpayer assistance over 20 years.
- Man pleads guilty to role in killing, dismembering man Updated: May-23-16 6:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence man has pleaded guilty to his role in the slaying and dismemberment of a Cranston man whose remains were found last summer in waters off Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
- Rhode Island lawmakers moving quickly on ethics reform Updated: May-23-16 3:36 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Hoping to show it's cleaning up its act, the Rhode Island General Assembly is moving quickly on changes that would put lawmakers under the watch of an ethics commission and strengthen lobbying rules.
- Fire breaks out at abandoned mill Updated: May-22-16 11:08 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A fire broke out at a vacant mill overnight.
- Top US toxicologist to visit Rhode Island to discuss lead Updated: May-22-16 10:08 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A top federal toxicologist is visiting Rhode Island to talk about lead poisoning prevention and reforming the nation's chemical laws.
- Police: Men smoked synthetic drug in van with child inside Updated: May-21-16 3:48 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Police say two Providence men smoked synthetic marijuana in a vehicle with one man's child in the car.
- Bill would let Narragansett Indians grow hemp Updated: May-21-16 12:34 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Narragansett Indian Tribe would be able to grow hemp in Rhode Island under a new bill proposed in the state's General Assembly.
- Rhode Island pitches the X Games a return to its roots Updated: May-20-16 8:15 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island wants to bring the X Games back to the state where the extreme sports competition started.
- Man found guilty of transporting horse shot with paintballs Updated: May-20-16 3:25 pm
NEW HOLLAND, Pennsylvania - A Rhode Island man who authorities say transported a horse later found shot more than 100 times with paintballs in central Pennsylvania has been found guilty of animal cruelty.
- Rhode Island Senate votes to limit opioid prescriptions Updated: May-20-16 11:12 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Senate has passed a bill it hopes will curb the supply of addictive painkillers by setting limits on opioid prescriptions.
- Buddy Cianci's family sorts through what he left behind Updated: May-20-16 9:27 am
WARWICK, Rhode Island - When former Providence Mayor Buddy Cianci died unexpectedly in January, he left behind several charitable and business ventures, including his self-branded pasta sauce, a scholarship fund and plans for a library to house 40 years' worth of memorabilia.
- Florida teen accepted into 5 Ivy League schools, 10 others Updated: May-20-16 7:35 am
MELBOURNE, Florida - Talk about choices. A central Florida high school senior was accepted into five Ivy League schools, plus 10 other top-tier schools.
- Rhode Island House passes wine biscuit bill Updated: May-19-16 5:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island House of Representatives has passed a bill to help bakers buy wine in bulk for use in making wine biscuits.