- Girl missing from foster care shot to death in Kansas City Updated: Jun-02-15 2:26 am
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - A girl who was reported missing from the Kansas foster care system in 2012 has died after a shooting.
- Kansas Senate rejects sales tax increase as furloughs loom Updated: Jun-01-15 10:00 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas' GOP-dominated Senate abandoned a tax package Monday to fill looming budget shortfalls after debates and procedural votes showed the chamber's Republicans are still sharply divided on the issue.
- Kansas lawmakers approve $131M budget for state court system Updated: Jun-01-15 9:46 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators on Monday approved a budget for the state court system to head off the possibility that judicial offices would be forced to close next week.
- Kansas lawmakers OK bill further limiting local gun rules Updated: Jun-01-15 6:57 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Cities and counties in Kansas couldn't use zoning ordinances to limit gun sales or impose special taxes on firearms under a bill state legislators have approved.
- Kansas lawmaker protests failure to consider pot proposals Updated: Jun-01-15 6:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate's approval of a bill for helping victims of human trafficking has come after a Democratic member protested a lack of action on proposals to liberalize marijuana laws.
- Key tax proposal stalled in House, Senate negotiations Updated: Jun-01-15 6:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A proposal to levy a state fee on health care providers that is key to several tax plans remains deadlocked between negotiators.
- Kansas lawmakers pass limits on rights for sex predators Updated: Jun-01-15 5:45 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators have approved a bill that would put new limits on appeals by sex offenders committed indefinitely to a state treatment program.
- Kansas lands touted Ole Miss transfer Dwight Coleby Updated: Jun-01-15 5:39 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - Kansas has landed Ole Miss transfer Dwight Coleby, a highly touted center who will redshirt next season and have two years of eligibility remaining.
- Kansas City-area groups seek to increase investment funds Updated: Jun-01-15 5:23 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Kansas City-area organizations dedicated to fostering startups in the region are planning to increase investment funds to help establish small businesses.
- Abortion-rights group challenges new Kansas restrictions Updated: Jun-01-15 5:12 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - An abortion-rights group challenged Kansas' first-in-the-nation ban on a second-trimester procedure that anti-abortion activists describe as dismembering a fetus.
- Programs aim to help inmates with mental illness Updated: Jun-01-15 3:38 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Several groups in Shawnee County and Topeka are looking for ways to deal with an increasing number of inmates with a mental illness.
- Poll shows House GOP support for sales, business tax hikes Updated: Jun-01-15 2:15 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - An informal poll of GOP House members shows modest sales tax increases could be the most popular option for filling the state's budget shortfall.
- Kansas City, Kansas say teen shot, body dumped in street Updated: Jun-01-15 10:20 am
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - Kansas City, Kansas, police say a 16-year-old girl was shot to death over the weekend before her body was dumped in a street from a car that drove away.
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: Jun-01-15 9:04 am
The Detroit News. May 26, 2015
- Kansas woman suing archdiocese Updated: Jun-01-15 8:50 am
SHAWNEE, Kansas - A Kansas woman contends in a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas that a false child abuse complaint was filed against her after she complained that her daughter was being bullied at school.
- Police: 3 robbed while walking in south Wichita Updated: Jun-01-15 2:43 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Three people have been robbed while walking in south Wichita.
- South Carolina man wanted for kidnapping arrested in Kansas Updated: Jun-01-15 1:14 am
OVERLAND PARK, Kansas - A South Carolina man who was being sought for kidnapping and assaulting a woman has been arrested in Overland Park.
- Kansas Senate votes to drop sales tax, preserve exemptions Updated: Jun-01-15 12:49 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate has approved a proposal to cut the state sales tax but rejected a companion measure to repeal exemptions to the tax to raise new revenues.
- GOP senators rethink, approve proposed court system budget Updated: May-31-15 8:40 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Some Republican senators have had an overnight change of heart about a proposed budget for the state's court system, allowing it to pass.
- Female found shot to death in Kansas City, Kansas Updated: May-31-15 6:47 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - Police in Kansas City, Kansas, are investigating a weekend shooting death.
- Kansas state workers could be furloughed if budget delayed Updated: May-31-15 5:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Budget Director Shawn Sullivan says that if state lawmakers don't pass a budget by June 7 all non-essential state workers will be immediately furloughed.
- Kansas wildlife exhibit gets $100K Updated: May-31-15 3:22 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A $100,000 donation will be used to make improvements to the Kansas Wildlife Exhibit in Wichita.
- Flood warning for southeast Kansas Updated: May-31-15 3:13 pm
PARSONS, Kansas - The National Weather Service has issued a flood warning for sections of southeast Kansas because of rising levels along the Neosho River.
- Kansas behind in private-sector job growth Updated: May-31-15 2:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A report shows that private-sector job growth in Kansas has lagged behind other states in the region.
- Rain giving Wichita supply water boost Updated: May-31-15 11:26 am
WICHITA, Kansas - The recent rain that has boosted levels in Wichita's primary water sources could also help the city during future droughts, city officials said.