- Ex-lottery security officer charged with rigging more games Updated: Oct-09-15 8:54 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A former Iowa lottery security officer convicted in July of rigging a Hot Lotto game so he could win a $14 million jackpot faces new allegations that he had close acquaintances cash in on lottery prizes in other states over several years, authorities said Friday.
- Judge to rule on Branstad's closure of mental hospitals Updated: Oct-09-15 10:40 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A judge says he'll decide within 30 days whether Gov. Terry Branstad violated the law by using a line-item veto to close two state mental health hospitals.
- Runway blackout diverts, delays Des Moines flights Updated: Oct-09-15 6:28 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Authorities say a runway blackout at the Des Moines International Airport delayed or diverted a dozen flights scheduled to arrive at the airport Thursday night.
- Ex-Des Moines police officer arrested in embezzlement case Updated: Oct-09-15 3:37 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A former Des Moines police officer has turned himself in to authorities after being accused in the embezzlement of more than $20,000 while he was treasurer on the police gym's board of directors.
- Research beefing up steaks, hamburgers with healthy omega-3s Updated: Oct-09-15 1:49 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Health-conscious consumers might be persuaded to eat more beef if it was fortified with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids naturally found in salmon and walnuts, according to researchers and some ranchers who are feeding cattle flaxseed - even marine algae - with an eye to offering another wholesome dinner choice.
- Experts say there are limitations to use of body cameras Updated: Oct-08-15 8:36 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Granting the public full access to video taken from police body cameras raises questions about privacy issues and technical limitations, a panel of experts said Thursday in Des Moines.
- Police: Teen rams patrol car with stolen vehicle in Altoona Updated: Oct-06-15 5:39 am
ALTOONA, Iowa - A 16-year-old Urbandale boy has been charged after police say he rammed a police car with a stolen vehicle in Polk County.
- Clinton draws early support but also ambivalence from voters Updated: Oct-06-15 3:15 am
DERRY, New Hampshire - Inside the arena, the roar was deafening when Hillary Rodham Clinton took the stage at the annual convention of the New Hampshire Democratic Party. Thousands of people jumped to their feet to welcome their party's White House front-runner with cheers and noisemakers emblazoned with her campaign logo.
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Updated: Oct-05-15 7:23 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Last season was a landmark year for basketball in the state of Iowa, as three Division I teams reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time.
- Officials: Too much odorant in natural gas spurs complaints Updated: Oct-03-15 12:39 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - MidAmerican Energy officials say they believe too much odorant added to a natural gas line caused more than 100 people to reports the smell in their Des Moines homes.
- Republican hopeful Carson says no to Syrian refugees in US Updated: Oct-02-15 7:59 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson said the U.S. should bar refugees from war-torn Syria because they are "infiltrated" with Muslim extremists who seek to harm America.
- Legal experts support confidential juvenile court records Updated: Oct-01-15 5:03 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Two legal experts are recommending the court records of Iowa's convicted juveniles be confidential and unavailable to the public in an effort to help young people who have completed probation turn their lives around.
- Trial delayed for 3 Ron Paul aides charged in caucus scandal Updated: Sep-30-15 3:14 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A judge has delayed trial for three former Ron Paul campaign aides charged with secretly paying off a former Iowa lawmaker in exchange for an endorsement before the 2012 presidential caucuses.
- Des Moines City Hall renovations may require relocations Updated: Sep-29-15 7:29 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Staffers are checking how and where city operations could be relocated during renovation work on Des Moines City Hall.
- Police: Man arrested after driving on Des Moines sidewalk Updated: Sep-28-15 6:13 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A man has been arrested after police say he drove erratically on a sidewalk in downtown Des Moines.
- Crews set to demolish old Des Moines YMCA building Updated: Sep-26-15 4:09 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Demolition crews have drilled hundreds of holes in the old Riverfront YMCA in Des Moines, which they plan to pack with about 100 pounds of dynamite to bring the building down next month.
- Iowa inmate serving life dies in custody Updated: Sep-26-15 12:30 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An Iowa inmate serving a life sentence has died while in custody at the Iowa Medical and Classification Center.
- Drinking water systems imperiled by failing infrastructure Updated: Sep-26-15 10:01 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Deep inside a 70-year-old water-treatment plant, drinking water for Iowa's capital city is cleansed of harmful nitrates that come from the state's famously rich farmland.
- Industry, Chinese officials sign giant soybean deal Updated: Sep-24-15 6:26 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Chinese officials agreed at a ceremony in Des Moines to buy 13.18 million metric tons of U.S. soybeans.
- Residents voice concerns over Des Moines plant expansion Updated: Sep-24-15 5:03 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Neighbors of a soybean processing plant in Des Moines are expressing their concerns over plans to expand the facility, which already is the largest producer of hazardous air pollution in Polk County.
- Iowa homicide suspect also sought on parole charge Updated: Sep-24-15 8:23 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A man awaiting extradition from Colorado to face a homicide charge in Iowa also is accused of violating parole.
- Clinton seeking to curb rising costs of prescription drugs Updated: Sep-22-15 12:00 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Hillary Rodham Clinton is laying out a new plan to rein in the rising cost of prescription drugs, moving to build upon President Barack Obama's health care law.
- US announces $19M in grants to expand use of body cameras Updated: Sep-21-15 7:36 pm
The Department of Justice awarded $19.3 million in grants Monday to dozens of police departments seeking to start using body cameras but turned down a greater number of applicants hoping for federal aid to deploy the technology.
- Lawmaker plans bill to stop Des Moines utility's lawsuit Updated: Sep-21-15 3:08 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A state lawmaker from northwest Iowa plans to propose legislation to block a Des Moines utility's lawsuit over farm-caused water pollution.
- Pleasant Hill couple claim $1 million Powerball ticket prize Updated: Sep-21-15 12:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Pleasant Hill couple have claimed their $1 million Powerball prize.