- Iowa police ask people not to use gun-shaped phone case Updated: Jul-04-15 4:44 pm
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Police in Sioux City are urging people not to use a cellphone case that looks like a gun, saying the device could be confused for the real thing.
- University of Iowa police captain named Clear Lake chief Updated: Jul-04-15 4:04 pm
CLEAR LAKE, Iowa - A University of Iowa police captain has been named Clear Lake's new police chief.
- America celebrates July 4 with parades, hot dogs, cold beer Updated: Jul-04-15 3:19 pm
The United States marks 239 years as an independent nation on Saturday as it celebrates the Fourth of July with parades, fireworks, naturalization ceremonies, eating contests and music. Here are some highlights and lowlights of Independence Day celebrations across the country:
- Nebraska woman faces charges in western Iowa crash Updated: Jul-04-15 2:06 pm
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - An Omaha, Nebraska, woman faces charges following a chase and single-vehicle crash in Council Bluffs, Iowa, earlier in the week.
- Iowa courts now paperless as of July 1 Updated: Jul-04-15 1:41 pm
CHARLES CITY, Iowa - Filing a court claim in Iowa now only requires a computer.
- Iowa man trying to hang flag shocked by power line Updated: Jul-04-15 1:32 pm
BETTENDORF, Iowa - An 18-year-old man trying to hang a flag for the July 4 holiday was seriously injured when the flag pole he was holding touched a power line.
- Swimmers warned of E. coli level in Beeds Lake Updated: Jul-04-15 1:25 pm
HAMPTON, Iowa - Officials have issued a swimming advisory at a state park in Iowa because of higher than normal levels of E. coli.
- Iowa officials warn boaters of hazards in Coralville Lake Updated: Jul-04-15 1:11 pm
CORALVILLE, Iowa - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is warning boaters to look out for hazards in Coralville Lake.
- 1 person shot, another stabbed in Cedar Rapids incidents Updated: Jul-04-15 1:07 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Cedar Rapids police are investigating separate incidents that left one person with stab wounds and another person shot.
- Des Moines Police investigating fake shooting report Updated: Jul-04-15 11:02 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Police in Des Moines are seeking the person behind a report of a shooting and hostage situation that turned out to be a hoax.
- Groups' support helps Burmese immigrants resume weaving Updated: Jul-04-15 10:40 am
WATERLOO, Iowa - In the front room of an east Waterloo home, four master weavers gather to practice their craft.
- Des Moines Metro Opera deals with animal surprises on stage Updated: Jul-04-15 10:40 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - When Romeo pooped during his first rehearsal with the Des Moines Metro Opera, it was unclear who should clean it up.
- Teachers still sought in home economics field Updated: Jul-04-15 10:37 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - Forty years ago, when Cheryl Tschetter started teaching at what was then McMillan Junior High, boys were for the first time allowed to take home economics and girls could enroll in shop class.
- Waterloo firefighters rescue kayakers from Black Hawk Creek Updated: Jul-03-15 3:38 pm
WATERLOO, Iowa - Two kayakers were rescued from the steep sides and swift water of Black Hawk Creek in Waterloo.
- Jurors convict man of assaulting Cedar Falls officer Updated: Jul-03-15 2:59 pm
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - Jurors convicted a Parkersburg man of assaulting a Cedar Falls police officer, but they didn't find him guilty of a more serious charge.
- 10 of 11 speed tickets dismissed for Cedar Rapids area man Updated: Jul-03-15 1:50 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Ten of 11 speeding tickets issued by the traffic camera system on Interstate 380 to a Cedar Rapids area man have been dismissed, but the city police chief said that's normal procedure for someone who got a mass of tickets at once.
- Volunteers making progress restoring old Bettendorf school Updated: Jul-03-15 12:32 pm
BETTENDORF, Iowa - A 142-year-old school in Bettendorf is getting a new look thanks to volunteers, grants and donations.
- Another trial date set for Iowan charged with sexual abuse Updated: Jul-03-15 9:40 am
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Another trial date has been set for an Iowa City man accused of having sex with incapacitated women.
- Iowan gets probation for cashing counterfeit payroll checks Updated: Jul-03-15 8:28 am
MASON CITY, Iowa - A Des Moines woman has been given three years of probation and been told to pay nearly $1,900 in restitution for cashing counterfeit payroll checks in northern Iowa.
- NBA player returns to Ames for holiday parade Updated: Jul-03-15 7:56 am
AMES, Iowa - An Ames native and member of the NBA champion Golden State Warriors is serving as grand marshal for his hometown's Fourth of July parade.
- Cab driver charged with endangerment after teen leaves camp Updated: Jul-03-15 4:07 am
WATERLOO, Illinois - A southern Illinois cab driver has been charged with misdemeanor child endangerment after a 13-year-old girl went missing after being dropped at an overnight church summer camp.
- Branstad vetoes school spending, mental health deal Updated: Jul-02-15 11:46 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad announced a series of budget vetoes Thursday, using his powerful pen to cross out $55.7 million in one-time education funding as well as a bipartisan deal to keep two state mental health institutes open.
- Officials say Gray's Lake Park in Des Moines to reopen Updated: Jul-02-15 7:19 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Officials say a popular park near downtown Des Moines that was closed due to flooding will reopen soon.
- Judge overturns sex assault conviction of ex-U. Iowa student Updated: Jul-02-15 4:30 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A judge has overturned the conviction of an imprisoned former University of Iowa honors student who is charged with raping a fellow student, citing misconduct by the prosecutor and errors by his defense lawyer.
- Ex-security guard pleads not guilty in Iowa mall shooting Updated: Jul-02-15 2:32 pm
CORALVILLE, Iowa - A former security guard has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of a 20-year-old coworker shot dead inside a busy Iowa mall.