- Man drowns while swimming with friend near Traverse City Updated: May-26-16 8:33 pm
GREEN LAKE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A 23-year-old man swimming with a friend has drowned in a lake in Grand Traverse County.
- Study: Barges can pull small fish through electric barriers Updated: May-26-16 1:43 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A federal study says small fish can be trapped in water currents created by commercial barges and pulled through electric barriers designed to prevent invasive Asian carp from reaching the Great Lakes.
- House measure supports shippers on ballast water dumping Updated: May-24-16 11:56 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A plan gaining support in Congress and backed by the cargo shipping industry would establish a nationwide policy for dumping ballast water into U.S. waterways that environmental groups say would open the door to more invasive species like zebra and quagga mussels, which have wreaked economic havoc from the Great Lakes to the West Coast.
- Illinois man to complete 50-state marathon quest in Michigan Updated: May-23-16 4:39 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - An Illinois man is set to complete his goal of running a marathon in all 50 states after he makes it across the finish line at a 26-mile race in Michigan.
- Winners announced in Michigan APME newspaper contest Updated: May-22-16 2:12 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Newspapers in Detroit, Flint and Greenville were named the best in the state Sunday in the annual Michigan Associated Press Media Editors newspaper competition.
- Grand Traverse Band LLC to open coffee shop in Traverse City Updated: May-17-16 4:07 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - An Indian tribe is set to open a coffee shop in northern Michigan's Traverse City.
- Detroit museum outdoor art effort heads to northern Michigan Updated: May-16-16 9:02 am
DETROIT - A Detroit museum's effort to bring art to unexpected places will feature installations in Alpena and Traverse City as well as on Mackinac Island.
- Body of missing sailboat owner recovered from Green Bay Updated: May-15-16 12:38 pm
TOWN OF GARDNER, Wisconsin - Authorities have recovered the body of a missing boater from the Bay of Green Bay in northeastern Wisconsin.
- Children's museum gets "Mini-Mac" version of Mackinac Bridge Updated: May-13-16 9:00 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The Great Lakes Children's Museum in Traverse City now has its own "Mini-Mac," a smaller version of the Mackinac Bridge connecting Michigan's Upper and Lower peninsulas.
- Bear that mauled Michigan girl nearly 3 years ago killed Updated: May-11-16 7:31 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A mother bear that mauled a northern Michigan girl as she jogged along a woodsy path nearly three years ago has been killed after mortally wounding a pet dog that apparently was chasing one of her cubs, state officials said Wednesday.
- Northern Michigan resort owner faces extortion charge Updated: May-10-16 8:42 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Authorities say a northern Michigan resort owner threatened to run a parasailing company out of business if he wasn't paid thousands of dollars.
- Restored courthouse bell keeps on ringing despite complaints Updated: May-10-16 8:13 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A proposal to temporarily silence the nighttime ringing of the Grand Traverse County courthouse's bell isn't going forward.
- Workshops help Michigan tourism industry use social media Updated: May-07-16 10:59 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Travel Michigan and the marketing agency TwoSix Digital are conducting workshops to help the state's tourism industry make better use of social media, including a program Tuesday in Traverse City.
- Marine returns home to Traverse City after 7th deployment Updated: May-04-16 2:53 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A U.S. Marine from Traverse City has returned home after serving eight months in his latest tour overseas.
- Ex-tribe chairman gets 25 years in prison for sex crimes Updated: May-02-16 8:33 pm
SUTTONS BAY, Michigan - A former chairman of a northern Michigan Indian tribe has been sentenced to at least 25 years in prison for first-degree criminal sexual conduct against a girl in the Traverse City area.
- Winery near Traverse City paying for trees in state parks Updated: Apr-28-16 9:12 pm
OLD MISSION PENINSULA, Michigan - A winery near Traverse City is donating $10,000 to plant nearly 200 trees in Michigan state parks.
- Survey suggests slight drop in Michigan wolf population Updated: Apr-28-16 2:58 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The gray wolf population in Michigan's Upper Peninsula appears to have declined slightly in recent years, but state biologists say it's stable and healthy.