- Gary charter school gets second chance with Trine University Updated: May-25-16 6:23 am
GARY, Indiana - A Gary charter school has been spared after it was set to close next month because Ball State University declined to reauthorize its charter.
- Attorneys for death row inmate seek more time for appeal Updated: May-24-16 1:16 pm
CROWN POINT, Indiana - Attorneys for a Gary man sentenced to death for killing his wife and two teenage stepchildren have asked a magistrate to give him more time to sign a document needed for the case to be reviewed.
- Board approves $500K grant to fix boiler at Gary school Updated: May-22-16 4:13 pm
GARY, Indiana - The state board overseeing the finances of the struggling Gary Community School Corp. has approved a $500,000 grant to repair a failing boiler system that left students at Roosevelt College and Career Academy without heat in January.
- Gary schools lay off 13 employees amid $75M budget deficit Updated: May-12-16 5:44 pm
GARY, Indiana - The Gary School Board has laid off its information technology and public relations directors and 11 other employees as it grapples with a $75 million budget deficit.
- Man sought for shooting at officers captured in Wisconsin Updated: May-10-16 2:29 pm
GARY, Indiana - Gary police say a man wanted for shooting at officers has been captured in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Burr, Tillis urge unity within fractured North Carolina GOP Updated: May-07-16 8:51 pm
GREENSBORO, North Carolina - Top North Carolina elected leaders urged fellow Republicans gathering Saturday at their state convention to unify following a contentious presidential primary and the recent removal of the state party's chairman.
- Indiana dad gets 2 years in daughter's accidental shooting Updated: May-07-16 2:08 pm
CROWN POINT, Indiana - A northwest Indiana man has been sentenced to two years in prison after one of his young daughters fatally shot her sister with a handgun that had been left on a TV table.
- Gary officials reject immigrant detention center Updated: May-05-16 2:39 pm
GARY, Indiana - City leaders in Gary have voted against allowing an $80 million immigration detention center to be built in the northwestern Indiana city.
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed Updated: May-03-16 5:23 pm
A Louisville judge has dismissed a lawsuit by University of Louisville students filed against Katina Powell that said the escort's book allegations of sex parties at the men's basketball players' dormitory had devalued their education.
- Authorities: Body found in Indiana identified as Texas man Updated: Apr-29-16 3:01 am
GARY, Indiana - Authorities say a body found in northwestern Indiana has been identified as a Texas man who had been missing since January.
- Federal ruling on N Carolina voting laws bolsters voter ID Updated: Apr-26-16 10:12 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Civil rights and elections attorneys said Tuesday they will appeal a federal court ruling upholding North Carolina's 2013 major rewrite of its voting laws, a decision that marks at least a temporary victory for another state that requires photo identification to vote.
- Gary man freed after convictions vacated in gang rape case Updated: Apr-26-16 3:18 pm
CROWN POINT, Indiana - A northern Indiana man was released from police custody to the cheers of a crowd of friends and family after he served more than two decades in prison for a gang rape in which he recently was cleared.
- Gary man charged with killing mother of infant daughter Updated: Apr-26-16 2:34 pm
MERRILLVILLE, Indiana - A Gary man has been charged with murder and fraud for allegedly strangling the mother of his infant daughter, then selling her car and shopping with her welfare benefits, authorities say.