- EU: 2 arrested for suspected spying in Rome Updated: May-25-16 9:17 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's agency for judicial cooperation says a Portuguese national and a Russian have been arrested in Rome on suspicion of being involved in espionage for hire.
- Correction: Italy-NATO story Updated: May-25-16 6:38 am
ROME - In a story May 25 on the Italian premier's comments about NATO, The Associated Press reported erroneously that NATO experts will visit Libya. Instead, Libyan experts are to visit NATO.
- Friends, Romans: Help restore Rome's ruins, monuments Updated: May-24-16 4:49 pm
ROME - Friends, Romans, countrymen! Oh yes, and countrywomen. And people in far-flung nations. Everyone, basically. Rome is seeking all the sponsors it can find to fund the monumental job of restoring and maintaining its hundreds of fountains, statues, archaeological sites and historic palazzos.
- Sofia Coppola tries her hand at opera in Rome Updated: May-20-16 2:35 pm
ROME - Oscar-winning film director Sofia Coppola is taking a break from movies to direct a new production of Verdi's "La Traviata" at the Rome Opera House.
- Historic 1493 letter on Columbus voyage is returned to Italy Updated: May-18-16 9:54 am
ROME - The U.S. has returned to Italy a letter written by Christopher Columbus in 1493 announcing his discovery of the New World that was stolen from a Florence library and unwittingly acquired by the Library of Congress.
- Thousands of underage migrants live in shadows across Europe Updated: May-18-16 3:06 am
Outside the train station in Rome, teen migrants sell drugs from school backpacks and trade sex for cash or clothes. In the capital of Sweden, they steal food from supermarkets and sleep on the streets. From makeshift camps along the northern French coast, they try to hop at night onto the backs of moving trucks headed to Britain.
- Rome metro line runs into Roman barracks and burial ground Updated: May-16-16 10:33 am
ROME - Work to upgrade Rome's public transport has again run up against an ancient problem: archaeological ruins.
- Heading to Paris, Murray gets a big birthday present in Rome Updated: May-15-16 3:01 pm
ROME - Andy Murray celebrated his 29th birthday by beating Novak Djokovic on clay for the first time to win the Italian Open title Sunday in a match that Djokovic argued should have been stopped due to rain.
- Fertility doc arrested in Italy after woman says eggs stolen Updated: May-14-16 1:58 pm
ROME - A fertility doctor has been put under house arrest in Italy after a Spanish nurse alleged that some of her eggs were surgically removed without her consent at his clinic.
- Mayor candidate opposes Rome 2024 bid, not games themselves Updated: May-09-16 2:18 pm
ROME - A leading candidate for next month's Rome mayoral election maintained her opposition to the city's bid for the 2024 Olympics on Monday, although she said she has nothing against the games themselves.
- After Leicester title, Ranieri has open offer to coach Italy Updated: May-09-16 10:41 am
ROME - Claudio Ranieri has an open invitation to coach the Italian national team. Just don't expect him to take up the role for the next World Cup.
- Alex Schwazer wins 50K walk on return from doping ban Updated: May-08-16 5:53 pm
ROME - Alex Schwazer made a triumphant return from a doping ban to win the 50-kilometer event at the world race walking team championships on Sunday.
- Williams sisters aiming for another Olympic gold in Rio Updated: May-08-16 10:14 am
ROME - The Williams sisters are making another run for Olympic gold.
- EU official Tusk: Idea of one European nation is 'illusion' Updated: May-05-16 4:08 pm
ROME - Worried about anti-European Union sentiment fueling nationalism on the continent, a top official said Thursday that the bloc must "stop the radicals" from gaining power by making citizens feel safe amid the migrant crisis.
- Italian composer Morricone cancels Rome concerts Updated: May-04-16 10:44 am
MILAN - Oscar-winning composer Ennio Morricone has canceled concerts at Rome's Santa Cecilia national academy because of collapsed vertebrae.
- 'King Claudio': Ranieri hailed as a hero at home in Italy Updated: May-03-16 11:25 am
ROME - The Italian premier called it "insane." The country's national sports newspaper called him "King Claudio." Even the Vatican newspaper, l'Osservatore Romano, weighed in with a comparison to King Richard III.
- Chinese police patrol in Italy to make tourists feel safer Updated: May-02-16 1:12 pm
ROME - Chinese policemen are in Italy to start patrols with Italian officers in Rome and Milan in a two-week experiment.
- Scandal-plagued Rome is becoming a 'do it yourself' city Updated: Apr-29-16 10:51 am
ROME - Armed with shovels and sacks of cold asphalt, Rome's residents fill potholes. Defying rats, they yank weeds and bag trash along the Tiber's banks and in urban parks. Tired of waiting years for the city to replace diseased trees, neighbors dig into their own pockets to pay for new ones for their block.
- The Latest: Biden's grand welcome at Italian PM's residence Updated: Apr-29-16 9:24 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Vatican City and Rome (all times local):
- The Latest: Biden leaves Iraq, next stop Rome Updated: Apr-28-16 5:35 pm
BAGHDAD - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Iraq (all times local):