- Chinese activist sentenced to 6 years in jail Updated: Nov-27-15 1:31 am
BEIJING - A court in southern China sentenced a leading activist who organized rallies for media freedom to six years in prison Friday in what his lawyer described as an unfair trial with an extra criminal charge added at the last minute.
- 2 days in Guangzhou: A taste of Cantonese culture Updated: Nov-25-15 10:28 am
GUANGZHOU, China - The southern Chinese city of Guangzhou offers all the hustle, bustle, culture and commerce of other major Asian metropolises minus the massive tourist crowds. But that could change as more travelers are lured to the modern port city by affordable flights and a 72-hour visa-free transit policy. Just a two-hour train ride from Hong Kong, Guangzhou is an easy weekend getaway or, in my case, a two-day stopover on my trip from Los Angeles to Malaysia.
- Guangzhou beats Al Ahli to win Asian Champions League title Updated: Nov-21-15 1:01 pm
GUANGZHOU, China - Brazilian striker Elkeson secured the Asian Champions League title for Luiz Felipe Scolari's Guangzhou Evergrande on Saturday, scoring the only goal in a 1-0 defeat of Al Ahli of the United Arab Emirates.
- Guangzhou offers hope for China fans as national team slumps Updated: Nov-18-15 9:06 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - As Guangzhou Evergrande plays for its second Asian Champions League title in three years Saturday, the influx of money, big name stars and coaches to the Chinese Super League has done little to halt the continuing woes of China's national team.
- Asian powers look to lift this week in World Cup qualifying Updated: Nov-09-15 8:19 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - World Cup regulars Iran, Australia and Japan need to bounce back from some mediocre performances if they are to keep pace with Asian rival South Korea when qualifying for Brazil 2018 resumes Thursday.
- Chinese title just the start for Guangzhou and Scolari Updated: Nov-02-15 12:28 am
DOHA, Qatar - For Luiz Felipe Scolari, beating coaching rival Sven Goran Eriksson to the Chinese Super League title on Saturday was just the first of three targets for 2015.