- Uganda to stop security cooperation with North Korea Updated: May-30-16 4:59 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - An official says Uganda is cutting military ties with North Korea to comply with U.N. sanctions over North Korea's nuclear program.
- Congo's political crisis stokes fears of widespread violence Updated: May-20-16 10:18 am
WASHINGTON - A simmering political crisis in Congo that the U.S. and its allies have been unable to defuse is stoking fears in Congress that one of Africa's largest countries is on the verge of slipping into widespread violence.
- Uganda: Opposition leader remanded to maximum security jail Updated: May-18-16 8:34 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's opposition leader was remanded Wednesday to a maximum security prison in the capital after being charged with treason for organizing protests against the re-election of long-time President Yoweri Museveni.
- Uganda: President promotes his son to 2-star army general Updated: May-17-16 7:07 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's long-time president promoted his son to a two-star general, bolstering speculation that the son is being groomed to succeed his father.
- Ugandan opposition leader charged with treason over protests Updated: May-14-16 8:26 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's main opposition leader has been charged with treason and jailed in a remote area in the country's northeast, a judiciary spokesman said Saturday.
- Ugandan president inaugurated amid opposition arrests Updated: May-12-16 3:44 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's long-time president was sworn in Thursday for a fifth term, taking him into his fourth decade in power amid arrests of opposition politicians and a shutdown of social media.
- US diplomats walk out of Uganda president's inauguration Updated: May-12-16 3:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The State Department says the U.S. delegation attending Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's inauguration walked out of the ceremony in protest. At issue were his disparaging comments about an international war crimes tribunal and the presence of Sudan's leader whom the court has indicted.
- Ugandan opposition leaders detained ahead of inauguration Updated: May-11-16 12:38 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's main opposition figure was arrested Wednesday ahead of the inauguration of long-time President Yoweri Museveni, raising the possibility of violence as police try to quell possible opposition protests.
- China envoy to visit Djibouti, site of 1st overseas base Updated: May-07-16 3:59 am
BEIJING - Chinese President Xi Jinping is sending a special envoy to visit the Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti, where China is establishing a naval logistics center that is widely seen as the first overseas base for its increasingly powerful military.